afterburn

johndoo

Mar 5, 2013
✟60,389.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Afterburn or EPOC or what ever name you give it, it is the calories that you burn after you leave the gym, after you exercise. I watched a few you tube videos about the subject and have started to do more HIIT / intervals because it seems time efficient.
I'm doing intervals on a treadmill and there is some danger about going too fast on a treadmill.
It is too early to say if it is good or bad for my particular case.
Some of the proponents of this have advocated for just a protein shake in the AM before the AM intervals. This causes me to change my routine some but I'm experimenting with it. Bought more whey yesterday.

Any thoughts on this subject? Have people found success? Does your body tolerate this in middle age?

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My understanding is that the most effective afterburn comes from strength training as a result of calories burned to recover muscles. Also, I do think a protein shake after a workout is good.

I don't do HIIT, nothing to do with middle age, but I'm one who, largely because I once suffered from adrenal fatigue, something I don't every want to experience again, is re-thinking all forms of high intensity work. When I was younger I taught exercise and we believed the more the better. but I actually have more muscle and strength now than I did then, with less intense workouts.

I think there's a very specific balance that needs to be struck when doing high intensity work and I'm wondering if it's easy to miss. You have on one hand the burning of calories, but on the other hand the production of cortisol that can be excessive and actually cause loss of strength and gaining of fat. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I think regular moderate workouts are best for me, perhaps not everyone, but for me, and I tend to think many others.

Upvote 0