After Trump Blasts N.F.L., Players Kneel and Lock Arms in Solidarity

Followers4christ

Love my wife, 2 sons and Daughter. God is great!!
Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Close. You have a right to say anything, but when you represent
a company, they have the right to expect you to keep up their
image when you are representing them.

Students, as you know, do not represent the school or government
unless they are in uniform, such as cheerleaders or football players.
But if you don't think their rights are limited, see what happens if
you send a kid to school with a NRA shirt, a MAGA hat and a belt
buckle with the confederate battle flag.

So are you saying you expect NFL members who represent the team to uphold the image of the team? Well guess what to the owners and coaches this is acceptable behavior and some couches fully stand behind this protest as it's been apart of sports since the 70s. So it is upholding the image as it's been apart of sports for a long time. It seems the ones who are having a problem with it are mostly outside the NFL. From link below:

"The Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award is given annually to a player for “outstanding community service activities off the field as well as excellence on the field,” and it is considered among the league’s most prestigious individual honors. As it happens, three of this year’s nominees — the Seahawks’ Michael Bennett, the Eagles’ Malcolm Jenkins and the Dolphins’ Kenny Stills — are among the NFL players most prominently involved in the ongoing protests during the national anthem."

Three anthem protesters among NFL Man of the Year award nominees

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This protest is not about Veterans as the president has said as many brave soldiers have fought to give us this freedom to voice our opinions and to make this nation great. Many Veterans support this protest and many other Veterans are taking part in this protest. This is not about Veterans or the flag, it's about police brutality. Many links on page 13 to back everything I just said up.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
So are you saying you expect NFL members who represent the team to uphold the image of the team? Well guess what to the owners and coaches this is acceptable behavior and some couches fully stand behind this protest as it's been apart of sports since the 70s.

Whatever it was in the 70's, it is a problem now, so
I won't even dispute it. You forgot one other group
that the players represent; their fans. You know, the
ones who buy the tickets, watch on TV and buy the
merchandise. Drive them away, and the players can
play for free because the owners will go broke.

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whatever it was in the 70's, it is a problem now, so
I won't even dispute it. You forgot one other group
that the players represent; their fans. You know, the
ones who buy the tickets, watch on TV and buy the
merchandise. Drive them away, and the players can
play for free because the owners will go broke.

I love bands like Linkin Park and even Carrie Underwood and I pay for their music and concert tickets. But guess what I don't own them or the music lable that represents them. I can stop buying the music but I can't control what they do. Neither can you regarding the NFL protest. The ratings have taken a hit but fans continue to buy tickets making the NFL still the number one sport in America even with the protest. So the majority of fans don't care about this protest. So it will continue as long as the owners and coaches see that protecting the players rights during the Anthem which is not the same as on the field when they are playing the game, is worth the risk of finances.

Let me ask you if we wanted the NFL players to sing a song that was about the death of slaves would you still agree with it?

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I love bands like Linkin Park and even Carrie Underwood and I pay for their music and concert tickets. But guess what I don't own them or the music lable that represents them. I can stop buying the music but I can't control what they do.

Remember the Dixie Chicks? 'Nuff said.

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Remember the Dixie Chicks? 'Nuff said.

First you ignored my question in the last post.

Second, not even close, remember Madonna was very controversial and many people protested her image and burned her music. Today she has sold 300 million albums and is the top selling female recording artist of all time. But let's also remember that many performers have made their career off of people protesting them and burn their albums like Eminem, NWA, Metallica, Black Sabbath, and even Sandi Patty encountered protest after her divorce. But that never stopped them as they grew despite protest or people burning albums. As many can testify you can grow regardless of controversy. The NFL will continue to be the number one sport on TV regardless if you decide not to watch. The players according to the NFL are doing great both on and off the field. This protest is bringing awareness to an important issue and bring unity among all NFL members regardless of what team you are in.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
First you ignored my question in the last post.

I didn't ignore the question. Listen to Johnny Cash's
opening to the song in the previous post.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with the flag issue. I
don't care if some nuts don't like the flag, or choose
to equate it with whatever. That is their disorder.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
As many can testify you can grow regardless of controversy. The NFL will continue to be the number one sport on TV regardless if you decide not to watch. The players according to the NFL are doing great both on and off the field. This protest is bringing awareness to an important issue and bring unity among all NFL members regardless of what team you are in.

The longer the controversy goes on, the more likely
it is that some entrepreneur will start a new league
in competition with the NFL and take even more of
the money out of their pockets.
NFL viewership down and study suggests it’s over protests

And don't forget: No NFL, no football parties.
Chicken Wing Company Says NFL Player Protests Are Hurting Sales

But the sponsors may have the last word, and so far the
word is they're losing money. The last thing they want is
to alienate the people who buy their products.
Just When The NFL Thought The Worst Was Over For Not Punishing Protesters, There’s More Bad News

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't ignore the question. Listen to Johnny Cash's
opening to the song in the previous post.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with the flag issue. I
don't care if some nuts don't like the flag, or choose
to equate it with whatever. That is their disorder.

First calling an opinion a disorder shows everyone you have no idea what a disorder is and your argument losses all credibility. Just cause you have different opinions then someone does not mean you have any disorders or that they are "nuts". Second they love the flag as many Veterans are also behind this protest. Saying NFL players are protesting the flag is like saying Rosa Parks was protesting bus transportation. Even the NBA has taken notice:

"It's powerful what all these athletes are doing," James continued "It's not about the disrespect of our flag and the military that's made this world free. It's about equality." -NBA All-Star LeBron James

LeBron James defends NFL protests: 'It's not about the disrespect of our flag'

Thirdly you are right the song has nothing to do with the flag. Johnny Cash wore black for social Injustice that he saw.

"I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down, livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town, I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime, but is there because he's a victim of the times."

He wore black when he performed and in the public eye. From Cashes family:

"Johnny Cash was a man whose heart beat with the rhythm of love and social justice.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The longer the controversy goes on, the more likely
it is that some entrepreneur will start a new league
in competition with the NFL and take even more of
the money out of their pockets.
NFL viewership down and study suggests it’s over protests

And don't forget: No NFL, no football parties.
Chicken Wing Company Says NFL Player Protests Are Hurting Sales

But the sponsors may have the last word, and so far the
word is they're losing money. The last thing they want is
to alienate the people who buy their products.
Just When The NFL Thought The Worst Was Over For Not Punishing Protesters, There’s More Bad News

First the ratings are starting to get better despite the protest. So unlikely.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...starting-to-improve-despite-distractions/amp/

Why the NFL Is Thriving, Not Failing

Do you remember Papa John tried the same move to blaming the NFL for the sales going down? What happened was Papa John had to issue an apology after fans got upset and stopped buying pizzas for their parties. Now Papa John is behind the NFL again and says it supports the protest. The NFL is still the number one sport and still has parties regardless of the protest. my guess this Chicken Wing company needs something to whine about and will apologise is a week or two.

Papa John's apologizes to NFL, players, blasts white supremacists

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The president's feud with the NFL is the runaway winner for the top sports story of 2017 in balloting by AP members and editors, easily outdistancing the corruption scandal engulfing college basketball and the Houston Astros winning their first World Series and lifting the spirits of a city devastated by Hurricane Harvey.

The year was marked by sex scandals, Russian doping and the U.S. failing to qualify for soccer's World Cup . Tom Brady engineered a record-breaking comeback as the New England Patriots rallied from a 28-3 deficit to beat the Atlanta Falcons in the first Super Bowl to go into overtime and Clemson mounted a last-second comeback to beat Alabama for the national championship.

Kevin Durant led the Golden State Warriors to the NBA title and MMA star Conor McGregor stepped into the boxing ring to face undefeated champ Floyd Mayweather Jr.

All of that was overshadowed by the NFL protesters and the president's dive into the debate.

NFL protests named top sports story of 2017

President Donald Trump should stay out of the NFL protest controversy, according to the majority of respondents to a new national survey.

A Seton Hall sports poll conducted this week found that 71% of Americans would prefer President Trump not comment about players kneeling for the national anthem, while 23 percent want him to continue opining on the firestorm topic.

Most Americans want Trump to shut up about NFL anthem protests

The Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award is given annually to a player for “outstanding community service activities off the field as well as excellence on the field,” and it is considered among the league’s most prestigious individual honors. As it happens, three of this year’s nominees — the Seahawks’ Michael Bennett, the Eagles’ Malcolm Jenkins and the Dolphins’ Kenny Stills — are among the NFL players most prominently involved in the ongoing protests during the national anthem.

Three anthem protesters among NFL Man of the Year award nominees

A state representative in Indiana wants to force the Indianapolis Colts to choose between their profits and their players' right to protest.

Republican Rep. Milo Smith, is proposing a law that would allow Colts fans who are offended by protests of the national anthem from members of that team to receive a refund within the first quarter of the game, according to Indy Star. This would not apply if players from the other team protested by kneeling during the national anthem.

By contrast, civil liberties watchdog groups are concerned about the bill's larger implications.

"In effect by passing the law, government would be weighing in...and fining political speech by the Indianapolis Colts. It seems like the worst thing that could happen is government weighing in and trying to control in any direction the political speech of private actors," Jane Henegar, executive director of ACLU Indiana, told the Star.

Smith's actions are reminiscent of the outspoken disdain for the player protests shown by another Columbus politician, Pence himself. During a game between the Colts and the San Francisco 49ers in October, Pence left the game to express his dismay with the protests.

President Donald Trump later confirmed that he had asked Pence to do his PR stunt, which according to one analysis cost American taxpayers $200,000 for the transportation alone.

Indiana lawmaker proposes law for snowflakes triggered by NFL anthe...

The NFL players who have been kneeling during the national anthem as a way to protest police brutality aren’t winning any new fans, a HuffPost/YouGov poll finds. But they are, increasingly, making their point to the public.

Asked to identify from a list the main reason the players are protesting, a 57 percent majority of Americans surveyed said it was in response to “police violence.” That’s up from 48 percent in a HuffPost/YouGov poll taken in late September. (Respondents were allowed to select multiple options.)

The percentage of self-described football fans who say they believe the protests are meant to target police violence has risen to 66 percent, a 13-point increase

The NFL Protesters Are Getting Their Message Across

((Regardless of your beliefs on this issue nobody can argue that this has brought meaningful conversation on the topic and continues to shine a light on police brutality. Anyway I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year's and has an amazing 2018. May God bless you all and your families.))

Last edited:
Upvote 0