Not open for further replies.

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
Around 1954 the great Dominican theologian Yves Congar wrote a book about the Catholic-Orthodox schism titled After Nine Hundred Years.  I strongly encourage anyone interested in understanding the dynamics of this schism to familarize themselves with this very readable book (Available through inter-library loan at your local library).

Essentially he lays the schism at the feet of a process of estrangement, which may have become definitive in 1054, but was at work since about the year 500.

In fact, he goes so far as to say that our estrangement constitutes the schism, i.e. our ignorance of one another.  There was an estrangement in language, in theology, in rite, in spirituality.

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I will seek out that book. I also got a similar hit from Bishop Kallistos Ware's " The Orthodox Church". It outlined in detail how the estrangement began and escalated, and it almost seems inevitable. Papal supremacy put it over the top though. Such a shame.

Upvote 0

sklippstein

Nov 2, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,351.00
Faith
Catholic
27th February 2003 at 08:44 PM patriarch said this in Post #1

Around 1954 the great Dominican theologian Yves Congar wrote a book about the Catholic-Orthodox schism titled After Nine Hundred Years.  I strongly encourage anyone interested in understanding the dynamics of this schism to familarize themselves with this very readable book (Available through inter-library loan at your local library).

Essentially he lays the schism at the feet of a process of estrangement, which may have become definitive in 1054, but was at work since about the year 500.

In fact, he goes so far as to say that our estrangement constitutes the schism, i.e. our ignorance of one another.  There was an estrangement in language, in theology, in rite, in spirituality.

TY for providing this information, I will try to look for this book, it sounds like informative reading!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.