• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured LDS After All You can do

Discussion in 'Debate Other Religions & Faiths' started by drstevej, Aug 11, 2018.

1. drstevej

drstevej Light Attracts Bugs Staff Member Chaplain Supporter

+23,435
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    LDS Bible Dictionary:

Divine grace is needed by every soul in consequence of the fall of Adam and also because of man’s weaknesses and shortcomings. However, grace cannot suffice without total effort on the part of the recipient. Hence the explanation, ‘It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do’ (2 Ne. 25:23).

So here is my question in five parts to LDS folks here:

Have you personally done all you can do:
    1. today ? [YES] [NO]
    2. yesterday? [YES] [NO]
    3. last week? [YES] [NO]
    4. last month? [YES] [NO]
    5. last year? [YES] [NO]
    Please just answer the question rather than derailing, avoiding the question or changing the subject

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Jane_Doe

Jane_Doe Well-Known Member

+987
    Mormon
    It helps to include the entire passage of scripture (bolding mine, since this is kind of long for a post). Note, this passage if from a BC time period when folks keep the Law of Moses:

"23 For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

24 And, notwithstanding we believe in Christ, we keep the law of Moses, and look forward with steadfastness unto Christ, until the law shall be fulfilled.

25 For, for this end was the law given; wherefore the law hath become dead unto us, and we are made alive in Christ because of our faith; yet we keep the law because of the commandments

"26 And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.

27 Wherefore, we speak concerning the law that our children may know the deadness of the law; and they, by knowing the deadness of the law, may look forward unto that life which is in Christ, and know for what end the law was given. And after the law is fulfilled in Christ, that they need not harden their hearts against him when the law ought to be done away.

28 And now behold, my people, ye are a stiffneckedpeople; wherefore, I have spoken plainly unto you, that ye cannot misunderstand. And the words which I have spoken shall stand as a testimony against you; for they are sufficient to teach any man the right way; for the right way is to believe in Christ and deny him not; for by denying him ye also deny the prophets and the law.

29 And now behold, I say unto you that the right way is to believe in Christ, and deny him not; and Christ is the Holy One of Israel; wherefore ye must bow down before him, and worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul; and if ye do this ye shall in nowise be cast out."

Greater context: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/2-ne/25

3. drstevej

+23,435
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    1. today ? [YES] [NO]
    2. yesterday? [YES] [NO]
    3. last week? [YES] [NO]
    5. last year? [YES] [NO]

4. drstevej

+23,435
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    Please just answer the question rather than derailing, avoiding the question or changing the subject

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Jane_Doe

+987
    Mormon
    I am just addressing the verse you quoted in your OP. If that is not ok, I'll quit responding.

6. drstevej

+23,435
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    Please just answer the question rather than derailing, avoiding the question or changing the subject.

7. drstevej

+23,435
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    1. today ? [YES] [NO]
    2. yesterday? [YES] [NO]
    3. last week? [YES] [NO]
    5. last year? [YES] [NO]

8. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+7,689
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    There is no Mormon who has ever done all he/she can do. The Mormons have scripture that says a person can keep every commandment, but I haven't met any perfect Mormons. Which one can have eternal life?

"This Church is the ensign on the mountain spoken of by the Old Testament prophets. It is the way, the truth, and the life. "
    Marion G. Romney, Conference Report, April, 1961, p. 119

Therefore it was made clearly manifest that salvation is in the Church, and of the Church, and is obtained only through the Church.
    Mark E. Petersen, Salvation Comes through the Church, Ensign, July 1973

Which Mormon was made perfect by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

We can tell Mormons about Jesus and the payment He made, but each Mormon's conversion depends on God.

Only God can deliver us.

Colossians 1
    9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; 10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; 11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness; 12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

God begins and completes the work. He picks us up when we fall.

Philippians 1
    6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Phoebe Ann

+7,689
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Why would a church teach its members to continually dodge questions?

10. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+4,039
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    That sounds a lot like the "regular" bible.

11. OSAS 101

OSAS 101 Newbie

+149
    Christian
    Married
    This is true.
    I do not know Mormons
    I love the orchestra and choir though and that big music hall they have
    I do not like how they all dress so conservatively

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Phoebe Ann

+7,689
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed

The truth about Mormonism which you, once again, seem to be skirting around, is that blessings are not free. The Mormon is required to obey the laws.

Another thing that you appear to be trying to convince people of, is that Christians don't believe in glorifying God with the good work He begins in us.

13. Jane_Doe

+987
    Mormon
    :)
    There is a TON of a false info out there about LDS beliefs. You'd be amazed at all the crazy rumors I've heard over the years.

14. Phoebe Ann

+7,689
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Yes, Mormons should dress modestly and conservatively, but their conversion efforts are going to run into young people with tattoos and piercings. Mormon women should have only one earring in each ear. I'm no longer Mormon, but I don't have any tattoos or piercings.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  15. Jane_Doe

+987
    Mormon
    I never said such a thing and adamantly disagree with such a statement.

16. Phoebe Ann

+7,689
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Mormons like to remind us that some people are mistaken about their culture and teachings.

I suggest lds.org and multiple lesson manuals. The lesson manuals are published by their church.

17. Phoebe Ann

+7,689
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    You usually disagree with anyone who knows Mormonism and clarifies it for others.

18. Phoebe Ann

+7,689
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    021.JPG
    Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual, 1981, Enrichment G, p. 395

This illustration has been removed from the current manual, but the teaching still applies.

God has said that no one can come unto Him except by His laws. If we receive and obey His laws, then we will come to know God and become like Him, thus having eternal life. (See D&C 132:11–12, 21–25, 32; John 17:3). It is only by obedience to law that one can become sanctified. Those who, by their agency, submit to law and are governed by God’s laws are preserved, protected, and sanctified through the operation of those laws. Those who do not live the laws of God cannot be sanctified by the Savior through those laws; therefore, they must inherit a kingdom other than the celestial. Each of us must be able to abide by the law of the kingdom we inherit (see D&C 88:21–24; 34–35).
    https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine...ment-g-the-nature-and-purpose-of-law?lang=eng

19. MartyF

MartyF Member

+92
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Why did you bother asking this question?

It seems like you’re trying to convert to LDS.

In other contexts it makes no sense.

Marty

20. drstevej

+23,435
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    Answered in PM to you. now back to the OP