South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I realize that I know very little about anime, but I would like to go back to watching it. I used to absolutely love anime, especially some of the older ones. I realize that Japan is a homogeneous nation where porcelain skin is the standard beauty. I also realize that the average anime character is Japanese unless stated or drawn otherwise. Such is the case of Afro Samurai, who is obviously a black man. What is the backstory behind "Afro Samurai"? I noticed that many of the character's names, regardless of color are in Japanese. Is he the only black character of African-American descent and would his name also be in Japanese or in English? Having written all of that, is Japan an ethnocentric nation since their immigration policy is strict, the names of some immigrants are Japanese, and that 99% of the population is of East Asian descent, is Japan the most homogeneous country in the world?

Afro4_Large.jpg
afro-samurai-face-knight-portrait-KC651-living-room-home-wall-modern-art-decor-wood-frame-fabric.jpg_640x640.jpg

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I'd be careful making assumptions here. I don't know this specific character you are referencing, so he may be considered of black African descent, but often that is not the case.

People of Ainu descent in Anime are often depicted darker than other characters, with 'afro' hair. They are therefore confused by Europeans as being 'black'. There is also a subculture of tanned, big-lipped figures in anime (I have forgotten the specific term for them as it has been some years since I frequently watched anime) who also look deceptively as if they are 'golliwogs', but again bear no relation to black Africans.

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

xpower

Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
✟105,003.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He is an black character, He was inspired by American action movies with black characters and hip-hop. The Japanese do know that black people exist.

If you do watch Afro samurai, It is an adult anime(that means blood, sexuality, profanity and mature themes). Also Samuel l Jackson was in it.

Upvote 0