• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, it's me again. I'm afraid I'm becoming a regular poster of problems on here, which I'm not exactly proud of.
I'm afraid of the pentagram, plain and simple. And I'm afraid of drawing it. And I obsess over whether or not, when my fingertips happen to scratch against a surface, whether or not I drew one. So I'll do this "cleaning" thing, where I'll just "scribble out" any kind of symbol I may have drawn. I do this mainly with the keys of my keyboard, and with my over-ear headphones, scratching my fingernails over the surface to cancel out any bad symbols I may have drawn--because sometimes it feels very real, that I've drawn something bad.
Now, I realize this is obsessive behavior. It's been going on since November. But I don't know how to stop it. And, to make matters worse, this evening while I was doing my little "cancelling out" ritual with my headphones, I started thinking about something else, and semi-consiously, semi-unconsiously drew a pentagram on the headphones with my fingernails, instead of my usual scratching-out thing.
And now my brain isn't accepting the "cancelling out" ritual anymore for the headphones. Maybe because it knew that before, the ritual didn't even matter, because nothing bad was happening in the first place. But now something bad did happen, and it's telling me to throw away the headphones. (Except I really don't WANT to throw them away, because they're nice headphones and the only pair I have.)
So, essentially, I did my little "scribble out the bad symbol" thing, because before this event, my logic was that it would make any "badness" "go away." But now, I'm having a really hard time getting past this. Logic (like, not obsessive logic, but actual common sense) tells me not to worry about it, that my rituals aren't what kept me safe in the first place, but it's God.(And, by the way, you wouldn't be able to tell that there was anything wrong with the headphones unless you shone a light directly on them and were actually looking for something, and then you'd see the light scratches.)
Long story short, I did something bad, I feel sick to my stomach, my ritual stopped working, and I'm trying to trust God and not throw away the headphones... but I'm hanging on by a thread.

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, it's me again. I'm afraid I'm becoming a regular poster of problems on here, which I'm not exactly proud of.

First, welcome to the forums. I see you've posted here a few times, but this is the first of your threads I noticed.

Please don't worry about posting problems repeatedly. I think it's fair to say that is one of the purposes of an OCD forum.

I pray that God will help you overcome your guilt, and have better control of your life. Please do put your trust in Jesus, and seek help wherever the spirit leads you, whether that is medical, psychological, or focusing on God's word.

You might want to leave it to Jesus whether to keep the headphones or not. If He is offended, or even if replacing the headphones can somehow be a part of your healing, then it may be worthwhile to "irrationally" throw them away. Otherwise, I hope you will trust Jesus' voice more than any other, and be able to keep them without further concern because your Savior's love overcomes all things.

Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
You can keep your headphones. No need to validate the impulses of your illness by throwing them away. You seem to know your fears are irrational, even if you still act our your OCD. That's a great start. Try not to worry, it's fine. God bless you.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i found that when it is fear that demands you do things, never do them for it is always going to be regretted. Fear does not speak true unless there is true reason to be scared then it helps us to move and act fast. So in God's truth fear has a place for good but on the side of the lie it brings misery. Lies makes us fear for nothing and that is really true. You can rely on Him completely to set you free from free. Learning this in your fearful one is the job at hand.

Now the battle you face with your mental illness is to stay in God's truth. Let His loving word cut down those lying thoughts and feelings and expose them as wrong and so stay in God's love. When you are in God's truth then you are covered by God's love, and all will be well, even when you are going through a difficult time.

Let these be the two guide lines you use to determine right from wrong.

1. The Lie creates fear for something that is not true, when we believe the lie we are rewarded with fear, when we heed fear we are rewarded with terror and so we suffer more fears and more misery.
  2. The Truth of God casts out the lie and any scaremongering, keeping us safe in His truth. All we have to do is believe that Jesus' love will cast out the fear and rescue us the fearful one. Time and again and fear will loose its power over us.

Just learn to go to Jesus the fearful one you can be and share your inability with Him and He will give you ability back in return. When the truth has rescued you a few times you will begin to trust Him because of His loving truth, and that will make you strong against satan's lies. And so fear shall be subdued in the end.

A very hard battle fighting anxiety but we can be successful with and in Jesus.

Psalms 91
Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”

Surely he will save you
from the fowler’s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.

If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
and you make the Most High your dwelling,
no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
He will call on me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.”

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm afraid of the pentagram, plain and simple. And I'm afraid of drawing it. And I obsess over whether or not, when my fingertips happen to scratch against a surface, whether or not I drew one. So I'll do this "cleaning" thing, where I'll just "scribble out" any kind of symbol I may have drawn. I do this mainly with the keys of my keyboard, and with my over-ear headphones, scratching my fingernails over the surface to cancel out any bad symbols I may have drawn--because sometimes it feels very real, that I've drawn something bad.
Now, I realize this is obsessive behavior. It's been going on since November. But I don't know how to stop it. And, to make matters worse, this evening while I was doing my little "cancelling out" ritual with my headphones, I started thinking about something else, and semi-consiously, semi-unconsiously drew a pentagram on the headphones with my fingernails, instead of my usual scratching-out thing.
And now my brain isn't accepting the "cancelling out" ritual anymore for the headphones. Maybe because it knew that before, the ritual didn't even matter, because nothing bad was happening in the first place. But now something bad did happen, and it's telling me to throw away the headphones. (Except I really don't WANT to throw them away, because they're nice headphones and the only pair I have.)
So, essentially, I did my little "scribble out the bad symbol" thing, because before this event, my logic was that it would make any "badness" "go away." But now, I'm having a really hard time getting past this. Logic (like, not obsessive logic, but actual common sense) tells me not to worry about it, that my rituals aren't what kept me safe in the first place, but it's God.(And, by the way, you wouldn't be able to tell that there was anything wrong with the headphones unless you shone a light directly on them and were actually looking for something, and then you'd see the light scratches.)
Long story short, I did something bad, I feel sick to my stomach, my ritual stopped working, and I'm trying to trust God and not throw away the headphones... but I'm hanging on by a thread.
You probably know what I'm going to say...don't do what the OCD says! ;) I also like the way Jeshu put it - don't make decisions out of fear. Actually, your post is encouraging for me, because I can clearly see the OCD, so it's a good reminder for me with my own obsessions, realizing that even though something can seem SO LOGICAL (obsessively) to us, it's really not. And yes, like you said, the key is to use your common sense and trust God. Great OCD-fighting philosophies!

Also, from a logical standpoint, accidentally drawing a pentagram doesn't even qualify as a "bad" thing, IMHO. I know that doesn't seem true to you right now, and actually it's a form of reassurance to even tell you that, but still, sometimes it helps to have a logical, non-obsessive perspective to shine a light on the obsessive fear.

Keep saying no to the OCD. You've got this! :)

Upvote 0

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks everyone. It's really almost absurd, being able to see the "logic" of my obsessions, and also see common sense. It's like watching a child have a temper tantrum in the store and being able to do nothing about it. I'm just watching my brain over think these wild situations and I'm just like... What.

Anyway, the things I'm telling myself are a) that symbol has no power over me; b) I'd never truly "mean it" by drawing one, even if I were to draw one on purpose (although I do feel like my logic is off here, someone can correct me); c) "scratching it out to make it go away" either works or it doesn't, and my brain isn't allowed to pick and choose when the compulsion solves the problem. For now, I'm choosing to believe that it does, and in the future hopefully I get to the point where I stop doing that compulsion and just move on. And d) throwing things away is a bad idea because it'll only perpetuate the cycle. Unless I've straight up taken a pen and drawn on it. And even then I think I could just wash it off. (Not that I want to go around drawing or scratching on things. It is my utmost desire to live a life pleasing to God, and I don't think my compulsions are part of that).

Reactions: Mari17
Upvote 0