Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In sum, "The argument from beauty (also the aesthetic argument) is an argument for the existence of a realm of immaterial ideas or, most commonly, for the existence of God."

But, despite that, here's My Own Aesthetic Argument for the Beauty of Christianity (and granted it is "Subjective," in a Kierkegaardian/Pascalian sense ... which tends to imply that my 'justification' is more internal rather than overtly external in nature ... )

1. I am attracted to, and value, concepts which I find to be beautiful or aesthetically pleasing.

2. After looking through the teachings of many World Belief Systems/Worldviews, I find New Testament Christianity and its interior concepts to hold the 'most' aesthetic appeal, or beauty; i.e. Christianity attracts me more than do other forms of theism, political ideology, humanism, or even nihilistic atheism.

3. Therefore, I am attracted to New Testament Christianity (to the entity of Jesus the Christ, specifically) and I "feel" its value over and above other concepts; conversely, I tend to eschew other Belief Systems/Worldviews as being lesser in their comparative aesthetic appeal and of less value to me existentially.
In fact, the 'emotions' I feel in my attraction to Christianity can be summed up in what seems to me to be the aural and visual beauty of the music in the following (wonderful) song by Josh Garrels – Words Remains [Epipheo Remix]. This is how Christ and His Love [for us] makes me … “FEEL!!!” ....despite our sins that we need to throw away from our lives, despite our confusions which we need to work through, and despite our despondency that often interferes with our attempts to reach out to .... HIM................!

:rolleyes: Have a Happy Easter!

For further reading on various other ways in which applications of Aesthetic Arguments from beauty can be made, see the links below:

The Aesthetic Argument for the Existence of God

Arguments from Beauty and Aesthetics - Christian Apologetics Alliance

Several Aesthetic Arguments in Support of God

Dawkins's Aesthetic Argument for Evolution | Thinking Christian

Last edited:

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've heard atheists try to explain beauty with evolutionary psychology and it always seems to fall short. And when it comes to music in particular, it falls way short.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've heard atheists try to explain beauty with evolutionary psychology and it always seems to fall short. And when it comes to music in particular, it falls way short.

If you want, feel free to cite and/or quote one of the explanations given by evolutionary psychology so we can evaluate it together ...

That was an interesting song choice by the way, and I hadn't heard that one by Costello before. I'll have to look closer at the lyrics [here]. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you want, feel free to cite and/or quote one of the explanations given by evolutionary psychology so we can evaluate it together ...
Oh I don't know off-hand, just stuff I've read over the years. An example I remember is saying we find sunsets beautiful because the sun is the source of agriculture and all life on Earth, yada yada. But rain is equally important and I don't find big, dark rain clouds beautiful. I read a guy say that men find female breasts beautiful because they also are a source of life in infancy, but he must have forgotten that baby girls breastfeed too. :)
That was an interesting song choice by the way, and I hadn't heard that one by Costello before. I'll have to look closer at the lyrics [here]. :cool:
Well, the lyrics aren't exactly on point I guess, but the title of the song is, lol. Just the idea that beauty doesn't serve a purpose, i.e., is useless.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This looks like a candid explanation of why you tend toward some ideas over others with no comment as to whether or not they’re true. I’ve never seen this argument actually run before, so maybe there’s a part of it I’m missing, but this doesn’t appear to be an argument for Christianity but rather an argument for the psychological benefits of belief.

Edit: looking again, that’s how you intended it. Will be checking out the links when I get a chance.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
In sum, "The argument from beauty (also the aesthetic argument) is an argument for the existence of a realm of immaterial ideas or, most commonly, for the existence of God."

But, despite that, here's My Own Aesthetic Argument for the Beauty of Christianity (and granted it is "Subjective," in a Kierkegaardian/Pascalian sense ... )

1. I am attracted to concepts which I find to be beautiful or aesthetically pleasing.

2. After looking through the concepts of World Belief Systems/Worldviews, I find Christianity and its interior concepts to hold the 'most' aesthetic appeal, or beauty; i.e. Christianity attracts me more than do other forms of theism or even atheism.

3. Therefore, I am most attracted to Christianity (the entity of Jesus, specifically), and I tend to eschew other Belief Systems/Worldviews as being lesser in their aesthetic appeal.
In fact, the 'emotions' I feel in my attraction to Christianity can be summed up in what seems to me to be the aural and visual beauty of the music in the following (wonderful) song by Josh Garrels – Words Remains. This is how Christ and His Love for us makes me … “FEEL!!!”:

:rolleyes: Have a Happy Easter!

For further reading on various other ways in which applications of Aesthetic Arguments from beauty can be made, see the links below:

The Aesthetic Argument for the Existence of God

Arguments from Beauty and Aesthetics - Christian Apologetics Alliance

Several Aesthetic Arguments in Support of God

Dawkins's Aesthetic Argument for Evolution | Thinking Christian
I've heard similar arguments for other religions. For example, Buddhism:

"... it has a coherence and logic that are beautiful in themselves - the beauty one finds in mathematics or in the majestic inevitability of a Bach fuge. One feels that this truly is the law that folds the stars in their courses, that it presents things as they really are and that nothing in it could possibly be otherwise than as it is." - Anagarika Sugatananda (Francis Story)​

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This looks like a candid explanation of why you tend toward some ideas over others with no comment as to whether or not they’re true. I’ve never seen this argument actually run before, so maybe there’s a part of it I’m missing, but this doesn’t appear to be an argument for Christianity but rather an argument for the psychological benefits of belief.

Edit: looking again, that’s how you intended it. Will be checking out the links when I get a chance.

Yes, there's more there than meets the eye, semantic caveats that are nicely tucked in that anyone who looks at it fully, whether as protagonist or antagonist, would have to unpack and circumnavigate ... ;)

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

"... it has a coherence and logic that are beautiful in themselves - the beauty one finds in mathematics or in the majestic inevitability of a Bach fuge. One feels that this truly is the law that folds the stars in their courses, that it presents things as they really are and that nothing in it could possibly be otherwise than as it is." - Anagarika Sugatananda (Francis Story)​

Yes, but .... THEN you as an explorer of those claims have to do the real work of not only delving into the actual 'supports' that may be as yet undeclared, you also will need to fully compare (as best as one can) these with many, if not most, of the other more significant competing views ...

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think Philo is saying he believes merely because it's psychologically comforting.

Personally, I think Rudolf Otto's approach in The Idea of the Holy is worth looking into, as it roots Christianity in fundamental spiritual intuitions, what he calls the Numinous. Perception of the Numinous, or what some call the Sacred now days, is more fundamental than beauty or morality.

• Winner
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Yes, but .... THEN you as an explorer of those claims have to do the real work of not only delving into the actual 'supports' that may be as yet undeclared, you also will need to fully compare (as best as one can) these with many, if not most, of the other more significant competing views ...
True, and I have over the past few years, and I tend to agree with Sugatananda.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

The beauty in Bach wasn't inspired by Buddhism, however.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True, and I have over the past few years, and I tend to agree with Sugatananda.

And what little Jewel of wisdom did he leave for us that you feel is worthy of our attention in this aesthetic discussion? :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I gave his quote about the beauty he saw in Buddhism. Did you have something else in mind?

Ok. Yes, I 'get' what you're saying now. Thanks for clarifying the intent and the conceptual logistics of your quote. So, would you say this his emotions in this regard are similar to yours, as far as your attraction to Buddha and/or his teachings are concerned?

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
That's pretty far-out in terms of mainstream historians. Most would see Jesus as being within the Jewish prophetic tradition.
True. I see Jesus as a reformer who learned & integrated new ideas (like from Buddhism) with fundamental Judaism in an attempt to reform the Pharisaical Judaism of his day.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Ok. Yes, I 'get' what you're saying now. Thanks for clarifying the intent and conceptual logistics of your quote. So, would you say this his emotions in this regard are similar to yours, as far as your attraction to Buddha and/or his teachings are concerned?
Yes. I see a coherence in thought as I read and understand the early Buddhist teachings. There is no doubt to me that it originated from one supremely brilliant mind who perceived and understood the core motivation in life & the core laws governing existence, and unfolded and expounded both into their various permutations to produce the great system of thought I see today.

• Informative
Upvote 0