Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm motivated to quit smoking but I'm addicted. Any Christian advice would be appreciated. :)
I recommend to join a support group: Celebrate Recovery Homepage

When I sat weekly with people going through the same process, it was a powerful motivation for me to quit my addiction (alcohol). I know others who overcame their smoking habit through this helpful program.
TD:)

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Everyone is different, ive heard some people say that after they were saved they could throw their cigarettes away and be done.

It was harder for me. I smoked for 32 years and even my children thought I'd die as a smoker. My son actually laughed at me when I told him I was going to quit. As you can imagine i was the worst..

I had to get off the cigarettes first, then step down off the nicotine. I found vaping to be the easiest... it leaves the hand to mouth habit to be the last aspect of smoking to put down, which is actually easier in my opinion because it leaves you with something while your going through withdrawals.

Prayer and resting in Jesus makes it easier, but you still have to want it.

I am completely free from any addiction to smoking now, thank God.

I'm happy to send you something (free) vape related to get you started if you need and are in the U.S. just message me with your address.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
It is true that everyone is different. What will work for one person may not be successful for another. While I am not thrilled with one particular suggestion, I believe that is should be considered, if only as a last or near last resort. It is most important that you find someway to quit, as we all know that smoking is a killer. Some say that after trying other methods and having failed, they went through hypnosis and it worked. I do not know much about the subject and normally I would never even bring it up. However, we all know that smoking is extremely addictive, so it could be that you might have to think "out of the box" and look for alternative methods to break the habit However, I emphasize, hypnosis would not be my first suggestion. I would first recommend considerable exercise, doing acts of love and mercy for others, support groups, etc.

My mom's friend started in high school, so about age 16. She was a heavy smoker till age 80 and the doctor told her that she would be dead within a year or so if she did not quit. She then quit cold turkey, but again, it took a real scare to get her to do it. Some say that the nicotine patch does the trick. I really do not know. Again, everyone is different. By the way, my mom's friend was very lucky. Smoking can kill someone long before age 80. As a side note, my mom's friend was quite religious and went to church pretty much every week for decades and yet still did not break the habit. It is very addictive. Some claim that nicotine as almost the most addictive substance out there, though most would probably say cocaine tops it. Anyway, the sooner you break the habit the better, my friend.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm motivated to quit smoking but I'm addicted. Any Christian advice would be appreciated. :)
Don't be double minded: " a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. " (James 1:8) You have to fight the urge to buy them and over time you go longer and longer without that desire. You have to make a choice if you want to live or not. They really do nothing for you. You think they do but they don't. You think the good outweighs the harm but there is no good at all, none. Only harm. If you think there is any good at all, it is only a delusion from the enemy and not real at all. You have to be whole heartedly convinced and you can not leave any room for doubt. If you give the enemy any room for even the most tiny bit of doubt he will try to work to increase that in you. You can not even allow him the opportunity to get his big toe in the door. You have to slam that door and lock it and do not give him any opportunity at all, not even the slightest amount. Not even the thickness of a toe nail or the thickness of a hair. None, zip, zero. You have to be absolutely wholeheartedly convinced. You have to be single minded. We need the mind of Christ and the divine thoughts of God. Heavenly thoughts, not worldly carnal thoughts. We need to avoid the things that are designed to bring about our destruction. "Those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh; but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit." (Romans 8:5) So it all comes down to having your mind set in the right way. It all comes down to not buying them, but this is what you need to do to stop yourself from buying them.

I have noticed that there are people that have other areas in their life that are not right with God. So maybe that makes it easier for the enemy to deceive them in this area also. We need to dedicate our life to God and give it all over to Him. This is how we get the strength we need to do what we want or need to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0