New Orleans
✟22,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I keep on talking to my friend about a sin I did, but he doesn't want me to talk about it anymore because it makes him upset and we have been talking about my sin for like over a year. Issue is I keep on remembering stuff and I feel a need to confess more details to him (he was hurt by my sin) every time I remember something about this sin. I don't want to upset my friend anymore, I just feel like I should tell him. If I don't tell him more, do you think Christ will still forgive me? Thank you

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If confessing to your friend is upsetting the friend, then I'd say you have no further obligation to confess to him; it's no longer healing at this point, but hurting.

I don't know if you come from a tradition that includes confession to a priest as one of its rites, but you might find that helpful in easing your conscience. It can be healing and reassuring to speak your sin out loud, in the presence of a representative of the church, and hear that person say out loud that Christ forgives your sins. Episcopal priests are pretty flexible about ministering to people who aren't part of their congregation; you might seek out a local Episcopal priest and ask him/her to hear your confession. A confession can also include spiritual counselling, which can also help the healing process.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If confessing to your friend is upsetting the friend, then I'd say you have no further obligation to confess to him; it's no longer healing at this point, but hurting.

I don't know what anyone else wrote, but this is the only answer you need. Look, you have confessed, it's over, move on. If you desire to continue, it is for your benefit not his. If he is already hurt, why even consider adding to it?

As for God forgiving you? Did you confess to Him? In your HEART do you know you fell short of His expectations? Is your desire to not repeat that error and grow from it? If yes to all then move on and let it go... He promised to forgive you. Don't make Him repeat Himself! :)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
(he was hurt by my sin

Has he forgiven you?
If he has shut up about it.

If it still distresses you, then go to God and tell him about it and ask for the grace to accept that you have been forgiven.

Have you never read about David and Bathsheba.
David committed adultery, disception and murder yet in his confession he claimed to only have sinned against God.
If you think this dead and burried sin is still living then that is how you pray to God.

Leave your friend alone.

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lord, guide this one, and enlighten this one on Your will in this matter, whether be to just confess the sin to You, asking Your forgiveness, receiving Your forgiveness, and putting it in the past and moving on, without having to share all the details with this friend, or not. Philippians 3:13,14.

Upvote 0