Kate2014

Mar 30, 2016
California
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hello, I am getting married in a few weeks and recently experienced a giant wrench in our plans. My fiancé is military and his leave was denied about a month before our wedding. Needless to say, it's been tough. However, my parent's have made it worse by becoming extremely angry with both of us for the situation. They blame him for his leave being denied even though it was beyond his control, and are furious that this is all happening. When he and I discussed our plans for me to move out to the state he is in, do a small wedding out there, then have a ceremony/reception in a couple months where our families live they completely lost it. I should say that we are both in our 20s, he asked for and received my Dad's permission back in January, and his family is in total support of us. All families involved are Christian.
I am planning on moving across the country in a couple of weeks, and need to tell them this tonight. Any time I have brought this up they have lashed out in anger, telling my fiancé and I that we are children, that we don't know any better, and that we don't have their blessing. Also that we are being unbiblical. Seeing as how they already gave the blessing I don't see how that can be retracted. They are completely unwilling to even attempt to adapt plans, and if I say that I disagree with them I am automatically in sin.
Anyway...I'm going to talk with them tonight, offer to fly them out to the other state...I don't think it's going to go well, but any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated!!

Moonrise Lu

Jul 23, 2014
Texas
✟9,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This sounds like such a tough situation. Number 1, pray about it! Of course.

Aside from that. Why do your parents say it is unbiblical? There is nothing unbiblical about that situation from what I am understanding. God never says you have to have a big ceremony with all family and friends involved. Also, you are not wanting to have the small ceremony in the other state because of avoiding anything or hiding sin, it is simply because his job happened to not go along with your plans. Like you said, your parents already gave their blessing and were expecting you to be married in a few weeks.

In the end, marriage is about a man, a woman, and GOD. Not your picky parents. I understand them being disappointing in plans changing, but having the perfect wedding day is not what marriage is about. It is about starting a life with another person who will help you grow and chase after God. It should be what you and your fiance want, and what God is telling you, more than anything. But definitely try to get some kind of middle ground with the parents, having them upset might make you guys too distracted and upset.

Sorry I am not sure what else to say on the situation. I will pray for something to be worked out and for your parents' frustration to be calmed.

Upvote 0

TheNorwegian

Aug 17, 2015
Norway
✟89,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am planning on moving across the country in a couple of weeks, and need to tell them this tonight. Any time I have brought this up they have lashed out in anger, telling my fiancé and I that we are children, that we don't know any better, and that we don't have their blessing. Also that we are being unbiblical. Seeing as how they already gave the blessing I don't see how that can be retracted. They are completely unwilling to even attempt to adapt plans, and if I say that I disagree with them I am automatically in sin.

Do they really say that not having a big wedding ceremony is unbiblical? That is just weird. The way people are doing weddings is totally dependent on their culture. It is not like the way they do weddings in the US is biblical and any other way is not. I can understand that your parents are disappointed if they cannot attend the wedding, but calling it "sin" and "unbiblical" sounds like manipulation to me

Upvote 0