Visit site
✟17,492.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi guys, it's been a while since I'm here and post anything. For anyone who don't know me, my name is Daniel.

(1) I really love photography, (2) I work as a singer in a band (and vocal coach) for years now, (3) but what I really want to do is to serve God by singing in many churches as possible.

Is there any advice or tips for Christian Musician who want travel?

Thank you for your time and effort to reply.

PS because I don't know how to start, I just made a youtube channel Daniel D. to cover christian songs.

Last edited:

sunshine100

Love God Love people
Site Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Florida
✟121,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys, it's been a while since I'm here and post anything. For anyone who don't know me, my name is Daniel.

(1) I really love photography, (2) I work as a singer in a band (and vocal coach) for years now, (3) but what I really want to do is to serve God by singing in many church as possible.

PS because I don't know how to start, I just made a youtube channel Daniel D. to cover christian songs.
Hello Daniel and welcome back,I would say to just do what your doing,and go to as many churches and play in their bands.

• Friendly
Reactions: soombing
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

(1) I really love photography, (2) I work as a singer in a band (and vocal coach) for years now, (3) but what I really want to do is to serve God by singing in many church as possible.

You have a strong voice (probably perfect pitch). You need a 12 string guitar or something with some tone and volume to keep up with your voice. A vocal processor that can add harmonies might be good too if you are into that sort of thing.

• Winner
Upvote 0

soombing

Daniel • Amateur Photographer
Aug 3, 2018
DIY
Visit site
✟17,492.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Daniel and welcome back,I would say to just do what your doing,and go to as many churches and play in their bands.

Thank you for your suggestion Sunshine, that's great!

I just thought that maybe you have heard someone (in your area or church) that travel a lot as a Christian musician, and know the hardship they face or something; I would like to know your view or advice about that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

soombing

Aug 3, 2018
DIY
Visit site
✟17,492.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You have a strong voice (probably perfect pitch). You need a 12 string guitar or something with some tone and volume to keep up with your voice. A vocal processor that can add harmonies might be good too if you are into that sort of thing.

Wow I never heard this kind of compliment, thank you so much David, that's mean a lot.

I think 12 string guitar would be nice -- tough I can't afford it right now as there's so many things happen in my life at the same time. But again, thank you so much for your appreciation and suggestion.

God bless you David.

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

rapturefish

Kingdom Citizen, Spiritual Nomad
May 9, 2002
Sydney
✟17,650.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

(1) I really love photography, (2) I work as a singer in a band (and vocal coach) for years now, (3) but what I really want to do is to serve God by singing in many churches as possible.

I hope someone with experience can help you, I'm not one of them.

In my limited opinion, it's a privilege to do what you love, but also something people are compelled to do. You can't NOT do what you love or you feel like you're dying. So choose to do it, and find a way to do it. Don't let the problems stop you.

You need a body of music to play. Become good at a number of songs, write your own songs. If it's other people's songs then make sure you have the copyright permission to perform them at other churches. You don't want to rob other musicians and use their songs without permission.

Raise money with your photography or busk, look to have an album, have a video or audio and social media presence to spread the word. When there is some online presence or word of mouth, try to offer to play at other churches nearby. Hopefully that will lead to wider churches and so on. It is a promotional thing.

Keep networking with people. Be yourself. Don't do things that aren't you. When it's other churches, offertory basis is probably standard. You may get nothing much at all for appearing at a church, that is life. That is why one sells CDs or shirts, etc.

Above and before all of this, remember why you are doing this. Why are you doing this? Is it for God, or is it for you? Examine your heart, make sure the reasons are right. To give glory to God. To bless others with your story, your music. To walk in what God has put in your heart to do for Him. And have people around you to keep you humble and walk right in the Lord. Don't be a rock star, don't be selfish and ugly-hearted. Be the person God has made you. Be His. Be for Him.

• Informative
Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Been there and done that... lived on a van, lived on a bus, traveled the US and Europe, ran lots of sound, played bass, did the roadie thing. Alas, this was a long time ago and regional differences, Indonesia and the US are quite different, just as Europe and the US were quite different... so I'll skip things like promotion and the business side of things, other than to say...

A1. You must plan things, have back up plans, and then have a backup to your backup plan, as things can and will go wrong.
A2. The business side is mission critical, not as a means of getting rich as its highly unlikely, but that you need to have economic cushions and plans, so you don't end up hung out to dry, or worse, having to hang your audience / churches out to dry.

As far as practical, near universal things
1. Self care is key, as sometimes you won't get too sleep very much, you won't always eat well, and when working with heavy equipment, you will get injured at times. I ran a couple miles every morning, plus calisthenics. Loading / unloading trucks, buses etc only uses some muscles...being well rounded across all muscle groups is helpful. Singers I worked with said the same, they'd practice across styles, they'd take breaks, they'd try to avoid being stupid with their voice, ie, limited cheering at sporting events. Likewise learn to sleep anywhere... bus sleep is not all that great, and church pews can be incredibly comfortable, sometimes even sleeping on the floor underneath a pew for a few minutes can work wonders. (Square this up with the visiting church though, so some poor person doesn't freak out when they see a guy on the floor all of a sudden etc)

2.Self care also applies to ones own faith... I developed the habit of church crashing, ie, just because one is ministering to others every day, no matter how much you try to do on your own, you still need some form of community. I addressed this by church crashing, ie, if I had some spare time and was wondering around a given city, and saw a church sign with a service time noted, I'd crash it, even if it was vastly different than my own faith practice.

3. You need to be grounded in your faith, you will see, hear, and experience things which if unprepared for can really mess you up. The most obvious is churches preaching one thing and doing another... you might not see it so much on a local level, short of being a church insider, but when on the road, its pretty likely it will get up close and personal.

I played a huge church one night, where we raised over $70,000USD for homeless ministry. Two months later, I'm on the street busking not far from the same church, and start talking with a homeless guy. He is super distraught as he ran out of time at the Salvation Army, so they were kicking him out into subzero weather. I said, hey, I played this big concert at XYZ church, and they raised a ton of money, go see how they can help. He comes back the next day, and says XYZ says they don't do anything for the homeless, they just hosted a concert, go see the Salvation Army.

In hindsight, I should have checked the local issues / services out and had the info right at hand... and then I could have sent the homeless guy to an outfit that would truly help rather than trying to shoo the homeless guy away.

Things like the above, if rare are easy enough to work through, but they can build over time. Add in other issues like errant financial practices, sexual exploits of church staff etc, parishoner abuse, etc can rock ones faith.... More than a few Christian musicians ended up with drug and alcohol problems.

While the Ragamuffin film isn't 100% factual, many of the themes transcend time and space...

Upvote 0

soombing

Aug 3, 2018
DIY
Visit site
✟17,492.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
... it's a privilege to do what you love, but also something people are compelled to do. You need a body of music to play. Become good at a number of songs, write your own songs.

... look to have an album, have a video or audio and social media presence to spread the word. Keep networking with people. You may get nothing much at all for appearing at a church, that is life. That is why one sells CDs or shirts, etc.

Above and before all of this, remember why you are doing this. To give glory to God. To bless others with your story, your music. To walk in what God has put in your heart to do for Him. Don't be a rock star, don't be selfish and ugly-hearted.

Thank you very much... your post are very informative. God bless you.

Upvote 0

soombing

Aug 3, 2018
DIY
Visit site
✟17,492.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Been there and done that... lived on a van, lived on a bus, traveled the US and Europe, ran lots of sound, played bass, did the roadie thing. Indonesia and the US are quite different, just as Europe and the US were quite different...

1. You must plan things, have a backup to your backup plan, as things can and will go wrong.
2. The business side is mission critical, not as a means of getting rich as its highly unlikely, but that you need to have economic cushions and plans.
3. Self care is key.
4. Self care also applies to ones own faith.
5. You need to be grounded in your faith.

Add in other issues like errant financial practices, sexual exploits of church staff etc, parishoner abuse, etc can rock ones faith.... More than a few Christian musicians ended up with drug and alcohol problems.

While the Ragamuffin film isn't 100% factual, many of the themes transcend time and space...

Wow! Thank you so much for this, I'll write it down in my notepad. Please keep doing what you're doing brother. You have a blessed life there!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums