Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Owlette, first off, congratulations on your engagement :)

One piece of advice I can offer you is this, Campus Crusade for Christ, now called Cru, has a great program called, A Weekend to Remember, for both married and engaged couples. My wife and I attended both as an engaged couple and again as a married couple a couple of years later.

You can read all about it at the links below. Just FYI, my wife and I will be happily married for 31 years this August, due in part to the things we learned about marriage (and still use today) at A Weekend To Remember :)

--David
p.s. - while you will learn many important things there about being and staying married, the other reason that it is truly "a weekend to remember" is because of how much FUN you two will have :D

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
  1. Don't marry somebody and think you're going to change them. You won't.
  2. Talk. Talk. Talk. Know the ground rules and expectations for your marriage before you walk down the aisle. Don't try to figure them out later.
  3. Take your vows seriously. It's a promise made before God.
  4. Be the right person for your partner. Do it again tomorrow. And the day after that...and after that...and after...
  5. Share.
  6. Stay in the here and now. Don't pick the scabs from old wounds.
  7. Listen and try to understand.
  8. Forgive. Forgive. Forgive.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
hi the key to being happy in marriage is to bring the love joy and peace you have with the LORD into the marriage and encourage one another in journey through this life. Men and women are different with different needs. A book called love and respect is good as it is scripturally based and examines our differences. if you are planning on kids another book called parenting by the book is one you should read together as it shows Gods ways of parenting by the Bible are much different than the way our culture does it.

Reactions: Owlette
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Zero problems! Just wanting to hear some wisdom from experienced married people about marriage! :) It can be whatever comes to mind.
Glad to know no problems. (Yet)

But I would strongly suggest a round of INVASIVE premarital counseling to help lessen or avoid the future problems. It must do an in-depth examination of finances (#1 cause of divorce) Sexual attitudes and histories (#2 cause of divorce) doctrinal differences, child discipline, and a host of other things.

• Agree
Reactions: Owlette
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeachieKeen

Apr 24, 2017
Southwest
✟104,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Owlyyyyy!!! :) Congrats on the engagement!!

By biggest advice is to enjoy being engaged, it goes by really fast and you never get it back. Also, accept there will be at least one major disaster at your wedding and choose now to laugh at it.

Upvote 0