planet earth
✟48,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone just asking for advice on fitness.. I use to work out when I was 18 i am 28 now and im looking to workout again I am of a slim build but im kind of out of shape.

I am just wondering would push ups, chin-ups, squats and sit-ups and going for a jog everyday do anything for me to become a bit more fit or more healthy ?

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone just asking for advice on fitness.. I use to work out when I was 18 i am 28 now and im looking to workout again I am of a slim build but im kind of out of shape.

I am just wondering would push ups, chin-ups, squats and sit-ups and going for a jog everyday do anything for me to become a bit more fit or more healthy ?
Pushups will build your chest (pecs), shoulders (deltoids), and the backs of your upper arms (triceps).

Chinups will build your upper back (lats), and the fronts of your upper arms (biceps).

Squats will build the front of your thighs (quads), the rear of your thighs hamstrings), and your buttocks (glutes) to some extent.

Situps will build/strengthen your stomach muscles (abs).

You may not need the jog ... since you already have a slim build, ... but the jog/run will burn any excess calories you consume.

Reactions: t4inted-
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pushups will build your chest (pecs), shoulders (deltoids), and the backs of your upper arms (triceps).

Chinups will build your upper back (lats), and the fronts of your upper arms (biceps).

Squats will build the front of your thighs (quads), the rear of your thighs hamstrings), and your buttocks (glutes) to some extent.

Situps will build/strengthen your stomach muscles (abs).

You may not need the jog ... since you already have a slim build, ... but the jog/run will burn any excess calories you consume.

Consistency is the key. Performing sets of these exercises a couple times a week will ultimately begin to yield results. I usually start looking for visible results/changes after I hit my 6th week of performing exercises like these.

Reactions: t4inted-
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Start with low impact exercise. Don't want to strain or tear any of those weak joints/muscles.
Go for some speed walks until you are breathing heavy and then stroll until you catch your breath. Do this for a week or two till your cardio is getting stronger. Once you can speed walk for 10 minutes, then get into the gym and spend some time with strength exercises. Don't push it. Just ease into a comfortable workout you can do. Then just work your way up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I guess it depends on what your goals are.

In terms of cardiovascular and burning some calories, those would work just fine.

If you're looking to pack on a some mass/muscle, really no way to do that besides hitting the weights and consuming more calories.

Sounds like you're doing a little blend of both.

Upvote 0

Chaleb

Mar 10, 2023
Florida
✟4,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Join a Gym
Go 3-4 times a week, forever.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

@t4inted- mentioned he is out of shape though. Yes, you can be slim and out of shape. Like having body mass in the wrong places.

So he really does need to jog or any cardio workout like rowing (in the gym). If he needs more muscle mass in the upper body, then rowing would be good cardio exercise if he has gym membership.

Cardio workout + dieting will release hormones that improve body composition. Like burning away belly fat and fat on the face (if any). A controlled diet becomes important once you become physically active through. Else, the increased hunger produced by exercise may cause you to over-eat and gain mass in terms of fat instead of muscle.

Dieting doesn't need to cause you to suffer. You only need to switch to foods that makes you feel satiated for longer and reduce hunger by avoid blood sugar fluctuation like low glycemic index carbs, avoiding sweets / soda, more protein and fiber in diet, etc.

Upvote 0

Chaleb

Mar 10, 2023
Florida
✟4,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dieting doesn't need to cause you to suffer. You only need to switch to foods that makes you feel satiated for longer and reduce hunger by avoid blood sugar fluctuation like low glycemic index carbs, avoiding sweets / soda, more protein and fiber in diet, etc.

And you need to not eat past 6pm.
5PM is even better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chaleb

Mar 10, 2023
Florida
✟4,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That only works if you go to bed soon after 6 pm. Else, you'll feel intense food cravings unless you slept soon after your last meal.

Yes, everyone that does not eat after 6pm feels hungry.
You just have to deal with it.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes, everyone that does not eat after 6pm feels hungry.
You just have to deal with it.

You don't have to needlessly suffer when there are ways to make things a lot easier. Because if it is hard, people will break and give up, ends up worse than before.

There are ways to curb food cravings and avoid strong hunger feeling when cutting down on calories like introducing low glycemic index foods to your diet and sleeping soon after your last meal. It's the only way I can sustainably maintain low body weight, plus cardio workouts ofc.

Upvote 0

Chaleb

Mar 10, 2023
Florida
✟4,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are ways to curb food cravings and avoid strong hunger feeling when cutting down on calories like introducing low glycemic index foods to your diet and sleeping soon after your last meal. It's the only way I can sustainably maintain low body weight, plus cardio workouts ofc.

You are doing more cardio to deal with the weigh you are gaining by those later meals and snacks.
Isn't that also "suffering"?

Also, and consider, that "fasting" is very good for you, spiritually, as those hunger pangs, are very similar to how it feels to want to sin.

So, even light fasting, .... = no meals past 5 or 6, is working for you, in more ways than one. timewerx.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You are doing more cardio to deal with the weigh you are gaining by those later meals and snacks.
Isn't that also "suffering"?

Also, and consider, that "fasting" is very good for you, spiritually, as those hunger pangs, are very similar to how it feels to want to sin.

So, even light fasting, .... = no meals past 5 or 6, is working for you, in more ways than one. timewerx.

My cardio workout is mostly riding my bicycle up the mountains holding easy to moderate effort. It's relatively easy for me and the scenery is breathtaking above the clouds and near dark forests. No suffering at all and I'm really enjoying it.

You must be forgetting this is a Fitness and Nutrition section of the forums. This the part where we help people achieve their fitness goals and not make it needlessly more difficult. The reason why many people are overweight is to the fact, losing weight is difficult. So we really need to make things easy, not harder.

I also fast for spiritual reasons and even fasting can be made easier with less food cravings and less temptations to break one's fast.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums