Advice about parents with surgeries pending, faith and possible punishment from God.

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know my threads are long so I'll try to keep this one shorter.

In short my dad is the bionic man. Being someone who worked for 40+ years building commercial stoves (and moving them) its ripped apart his body over time. Hes had countless surgeries and other things done to him. He also has lots of metal replacement parts (and other materials) in his body like his spine, arm, hips...etc.

Well now that he is retired due to being unable to work from the body issues, he is going to have 4 surgeries. Two involve his arms. The muscles snapped off the bones, shriveled up and aren't fixable by normal means. His hand needs surgery to fix carpel tunnel. And the most dangerous one is he needs C6-C7 discs in his neck fixed since they almost destroyed and crushing his nerve and whats between the discs (hes in severe pain). Which doctors said theres a 50% chance of many various issues happening. Including the worst case scenario of ending up in a wheelchair if they even cut one of the nerves on accident.

So as many of you know my parents are the opposites. My dad is not perfect but hes tried to be a good christian father when I was growing up. He loves church, prayer, devotions, reading...etc. My mom not so much. She has little faith, never goes to church, doesn't really read her bible, pray...etc.

My dad of course is staying strong and knows God is in control of the surgeries. I mean obviously he has thought of the risks. My mom is in a state of depression, frustration and on edge now. More so then normal. She also is drinking more wine. When my she hugged my dad after crying my dad said "God in control dear!". My moms response was "Don't even say that stuff to me.." then something along the lines of looking at past things where "God wasn't there!".

My wife and I are trying to be encouraging to her but its not easy because shes so pessimistic. And sometimes we just want to ignore her crying/pity because we hate that she "talks the talk" about being a christian but doesn't walk the walk when not out in public. Especially considering the miracles God did to get my wife here to america.

Any advice on what to do with her? I know praying is one thing of course which we have been doing. And of course for those who know about my past, moving is possible in our future based on "other issues".

Also, do you think possibly God may be punishing her lack of faith by having so many trials happen to her? I mean if you have no faith in God and spend your time hating Him and taking His name in vain when mad, it would make sense that He is not going to provide relief sometimes right? I may be wrong of course. The trials she goes through tend to happen to her specifically, where as the good things tend to happen to my dad.

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You mean the "bad things happen because you did something to deserve it" mentality?

Read Job.. note that the people God got POed at were the "friends" of Job that told him he must have done something to "earn" the punishments etc.... so no, I dont always belive that is true, I do think you can draw to yourself what you focus on but thats not nessicarily because "Gods out to get you"

As for what to do for your mom, Pray for her, specificly I would pray to loose the spirit of fear from her & bind the spirit of Peace and Calm to her

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't think God is punishing your mother.

My father was an atheist and he criticized everyone for years. I didn't live in the same state, so after awhile I overcame my thinking that I could change him. My mother never went to church enough to count on one hand. She talks about the "Lord" but I don't know who she thinks He is. I've tried to tell her. We sent her a Bible. I wonder if she thinks it's a good luck charm. She won't read it. She has never read it. But she told me she patted it one day. All my living siblings are atheists/agnostics.

We can only pray for people who don't know God, especially if they know or were told why He died for us.

God bless you and your father as he goes through these surgeries.

Upvote 0

Yoona86

Jan 18, 2013
KaliKingChong
✟30,979.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know my threads are long so I'll try to keep this one shorter.

In short my dad is the bionic man. Being someone who worked for 40+ years building commercial stoves (and moving them) its ripped apart his body over time. Hes had countless surgeries and other things done to him. He also has lots of metal replacement parts (and other materials) in his body like his spine, arm, hips...etc.

Well now that he is retired due to being unable to work from the body issues, he is going to have 4 surgeries. Two involve his arms. The muscles snapped off the bones, shriveled up and aren't fixable by normal means. His hand needs surgery to fix carpel tunnel. And the most dangerous one is he needs C6-C7 discs in his neck fixed since they almost destroyed and crushing his nerve and whats between the discs (hes in severe pain). Which doctors said theres a 50% chance of many various issues happening. Including the worst case scenario of ending up in a wheelchair if they even cut one of the nerves on accident.

So as many of you know my parents are the opposites. My dad is not perfect but hes tried to be a good christian father when I was growing up. He loves church, prayer, devotions, reading...etc. My mom not so much. She has little faith, never goes to church, doesn't really read her bible, pray...etc.

My dad of course is staying strong and knows God is in control of the surgeries. I mean obviously he has thought of the risks. My mom is in a state of depression, frustration and on edge now. More so then normal. She also is drinking more wine. When my she hugged my dad after crying my dad said "God in control dear!". My moms response was "Don't even say that stuff to me.." then something along the lines of looking at past things where "God wasn't there!".

My wife and I are trying to be encouraging to her but its not easy because shes so pessimistic. And sometimes we just want to ignore her crying/pity because we hate that she "talks the talk" about being a christian but doesn't walk the walk when not out in public. Especially considering the miracles God did to get my wife here to america.

Any advice on what to do with her? I know praying is one thing of course which we have been doing. And of course for those who know about my past, moving is possible in our future based on "other issues".

Also, do you think possibly God may be punishing her lack of faith by having so many trials happen to her? I mean if you have no faith in God and spend your time hating Him and taking His name in vain when mad, it would make sense that He is not going to provide relief sometimes right? I may be wrong of course. The trials she goes through tend to happen to her specifically, where as the good things tend to happen to my dad.

i am really sorry hear what you and your family have been going through.

it sounds like your mom is not born again.

if so, then it is only natural that she will see things through a carnal mind

she is blind to things of God, hence I don't think it is realistic to expect her to think and act like someone whose eyes have been opened by the Lord

given the situation, it is understandable that she would be depressed.

just keep on doing what you can to comfort her, and realized in some ways she is acting the way she should....

try to remove the expectation you have of her right now, and just take things one day at a time, whatever happens tomorrow is for God to worry about, it is meant to be placed on His strong shoulders

hope that helps

may God bless you and your family.

Upvote 0