✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Spiritual Living Through Faith
Have you ever encountered someone who has been being rude, and you try to subvert them through discussion to not be so rude?

Where are times in life where you just got to stop and ask them why do you have to be that way?

What about a faint hearted brother, do you try and encourage them after listening to their story?

Have you been in a position to help the weak, those who might be struggling with something in their life, be cleaning up their home, yard, or simply taking out the trash, or financially, even with their faith?

Sometimes we when we are tried for our patience, we need to ask God for help through the spirit to try and be patient with others.

• If many of the questions asked here right now have been answered yes, in your own private relationship and life with God, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

• That is great, your heart shows the character of God because of the Spirit that indwells you.

• We are to do these things when the times come about to act upon them. Not expecting anything back in return.

• 1 Thess 5:14 And we urge you, brothers, to admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, and be patient with everyone. 15Make sure that no one repays evil for evil. Always pursue what is good for one another and for all people.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Carl you are welcome. You think it will help? You wanna know something Carl, sometimes I need think to myself that it would be a good thing to take a break from here.

It seems I’ve exhausted a lot of time an energy into trying to help somehow not ever knowing if it helping anyone or not.

You already know we should do these things mentioned in the post, would there be any wisdom you could impart unto to me as well?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,409.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK here is something most miss...

Read Is 11 about the anointing on Jesus.

Count the spirits - there are seven.

When He indwells us we have these seven attributes active inside.

This is not like gifts given to some - it is for all who receive Him.

If you sense there is a lack in any of these 7 areas, just ask for the release from whatever is blocking His working through in this way...

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to Apologize Carl for not posting Advent mediation for us. I have an elderly family member from out of state who spends the Holidays with us between Thanksgiving and New Years She spent most of the week in the Hospital She is home now and doing better but I had little time to post over the past week

I use three sources
The unity Book The Spirit of Christmas, Which is free but not online

The Episcopal Church Advent Lectionary, which is all Over The Internet, including here
Revised Common Lectionary

And The Catholic resource Website, Daily Scripture Readings for Advent - Advent & Christmas Season - Catholic Online
Although these are by no means the only resources available.

I like to read over each one, then spend some time thinking about my own experiences and insights. While I do read the suggested scriptures, I find myself also looking at others for inspiration as well. I quoted a few here on my daily devotionals.

Last week, curious as to Hanukkah and the sheer number of people around who are celebrating it, I sought to look back at the origins
The Scripture I read was 1st and 2nd Maccabees, which tells of the conquest of the Holy Land by Antiochus, and the overthrow and restoration led by Judah, and we learn how the temple had been defiled, leaving only one hidden untouched vial of oil, for which the Menorah miraculously burned for 8 days instead of 1.....

Similarly, we light Advent wreaths now, today is the lighting of the Pink Candle of Love. although many choose to use 4 Purple Candles

The Light, of the Candles, both Advent and Menorah have deeply symbolic meanings
For us, The Light of the Candle of Love shows us the Greatest gift, Unconditional Love Incarnate, which exhibits that which is Christ.
By meditation on the message of Love, allowing it to flow through us, we become lights of that Love for all to see. We carry on the great commandment, Love Thy Neighbor as Thyself. We become Pure Love, a Love which transcends all seasons. We use this season to help remind us of this message

Advent is a most beautiful time for us.

Today my son pointed out that we are less than two weeks until Christmas. I thought of when he was younger, when I was younger, and when we could hardly wait for Christmas Day. It seemed to come so slowly....and yet now, I long for a longer, slower, Advent, more time to read, devote and meditate on the Season of Christmas. Life is not a race to the end, it is a Journey filled with Beauty, Wonder and Love. It is as good and as great as we make it through the Divine Love which flows through us.
I love the beautiful Advent season.

For me, the material aspect of the Holiday is less and les important every year. I am embracing non-materialism, minimalism in regards to material goods. Jesus knew that materialism does not make one happy, which is why He once advised a rich man to sell everything and distribute the money among the poor. Jesus knew the secrets to Love and Peace and that they do not lie with material possessions.

There is a sticky note of my computer screen this time of year which reminds me to "buy nothing"

But there is time daily to read, pray, meditate on the Season. For that is where the true Christmas can be found.

Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
`Today while perusing the various readings, meditations and such, I thought of a long forgotten incident from long long ago.
I received a facebook well wish from an old friend, and we chatted back and forth for a while. Not to go into a long detail, but I was involved with his sister long ago and the relationship was dysfunctional at best and that was on a good day.
I thought about all the times I had realizations, awareness moments, those "Ah HA " Types of deeper understanding, some at the time, many later.....

To Summarize, I had been performing all of my Advent rituals through interference and static of a needy, demanding woman, a product of a controlling family, who were members of a denomination that does not observe Christmas. I fathomed the idea of spending a Christmas Eve in total silence, wandering from service to service, plotting out on a map the how and where , culminating with the Midnight High Mass at the Episcopal Cathedral. Through her whininess and complaining, I shortened it and relinquished my dreams to attending the late Episcopal service. During the service, in a moment of deep meditation and awareness, she reached over and touched me during a prayer, breaking my concentration. I pulled away instinctively, as though I were being assaulted. She spent the rest of the night Bawling and crying about how I don't like her and don't pay attention to her. etc etc I offered to let he spend Christmas without me, and she finally shut up.
The next year, I made good on my Advent plans. I told her in advance I would go with or without her, but I was not to be Touched(no hand holding even) and I would not speak. Total Silence. EXCEPT for Singing, and Prayer, responsive readings etc. No conversation, no chit chat, no arguing. SO I went alone and enjoyed it immensely without her company. We separated soon after and lived happily ever after.
But that same year as the event at the Mass, there was a very odd event a week before. Her father, who had n long been critical (behind my back, I am told) and could not stand the fact that I celebrated Advent and Christmas my way appears to have, as near as I could tell, have someone in his church (church of Christ) call and complain (whine) about my attending the Advent service and Mass. The call was not friendly, and basically broke down into bad words and cursing from both sides. I announced then and there that my involvement with the coc was forever finished, and made good on that Word. I do not accept that it is the right of anyone to tell another how they can or cannot worship, live, celebrate.

So the next year, Christmas Eve, I got into my car, and at 5 PM drove to Presbyterian church and attended a service there, then to a Methodist church, then to the Unity Church, which was a longer meditative service and finally the midnight service at the Episcopal church. I returned to a quiet room in a friend's house, slept until Christmas morning, then drove to my family's house.
I thought of the Monks, the Hermits, whose who lived and studied in silence, the way to listen to the still small voice of God, to Feel and Hear the Spirit, and to learn.....
It seems that the best miracle was not any further awareness on the Mystery of Christmas, but a self awareness of how I needed to improve my life and self esteem by removing certain Toxic people from it. (Hence the parting ways and living happily ever after)
I learned from my friend today that in addendum, she is on her third marriage currently and as miserable as w ever. Was it an Advent miracle that showed me how great life would be without her in it? I certainly had a more meaningful Experience alone than with her.

Fast forward now. My kids and I love attending things together. My oldest son LOVES the Midnight service...it is the highlight of Christmas Eve for us. And learning experiences still abound, inspiration still comes from the subtle beauty of the Mass. But likely will have to be on TV this year.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ is born, glorify Him! Christ from heaven, go out to meet Him! Christ on earth, be exalted! Sing to the Lord all the whole earth; and that I may join both in one word, let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad, for Him who is of heaven and then of earth. Christ in the flesh, rejoice with trembling and with joy; with trembling because of your sins, with joy because of your hope.
St. Gregory Nazianzen (329-390)

It must have been quite joyful and fearful at the same time to fathom the birth of Jesus. In a land ruled by power, by "Might makes right" edicts of Roman forces, by Religious leaders who seemed more often interested in enforcing tithes and rules than lending a helping hand, It was with both joy and apprehension when a King's birth was announced. Would he be a peaceful king? Would he be fair? would he be harsh and vengeful. These had to be on the minds of people then as now.

We as humans have looked onto history and seen the great kings, the loving and peaceful monarchs who ruled with compassion. The ones who wanted only good and peace for the subjects of their kingdoms. Names like Vespasian, Æthelstan, Cyrus.... are ones we know today. But in the Biblical times, names such as Herod the great, despised for his cruelty and his lack of birthright to the throne were more common. So were various lineages of Caesar, who took power through bloodshed and slavery

SO when the birth of a King was announced, there would have been both trepidation and Hope. And the People of Judea needed Hope
But this new "king" was not born into Royalty, not born in a Palace in Rome, or Egypt, but in simple conditions, to laborers , in an out of the way town called Bethlehem. He was born to the fanfare of Angels, visited by Shepherds and was heralded as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. And he offered on title: The Prince of Peace. He came not with a power to conquer, to divide, but to Love and Save. He came to give abundant life and show all mankind, for all Times, The Way to eternal Happiness.

At Advent, we stop and think about the gift which God gave to humanity, the Salvation and Love, a free gift, for anyone who accepts it, We ask ourselves, are we really ready to put aside our fear and trepidation to accept something so wondrous and beautiful?

It was summed up well by St Gregory, in the above quote, who said "Go out and meet him" Sing with exaltation and Joy, not with fear and animosity, but with Love, which is fulfilled by the Greatest Gift which we celebrate this advent season.

Upvote 0