Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
A great video with an idea of how to spend your Advent (regardless if you want to consider donating this group, Catholic Relief Services, Jesuit Refugee Services, Caritas (don't even know if that one's real?) or whatever).

[Advent Conspiracy] Enter the Story 2011 - YouTube

Reactions: Ave Maria

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,460.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Just beautiful. I hardly ever send out mass e-mails with a link, but I'm tempted to today.

Of course the water problem is a lot more complex, because industry is doing things to damage the water supply every day (particularly drillers.) And in some countries water rights are being sold to private companies which might someday try to sell them to people who have little income to buy water with.

Let's take that $20 billion, build the wells in Africa, and then enact some sensible laws to protect the water supply in developed countries and prevent the sale of water rights, which belong to all of us, to companies.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have liked Advent Conspiracy for a year or two now. I haven't ever had the money to donate to them though. I don't even have the money to buy presents for people at Christmas. But anyway, they do some really great work for those in 3rd world countries. Here is their main website if anyone is interested:

Advent Conspiracy - Advent Conspiracy

That said, I still can't figure out which charity is behind the organization. Does anyone know?

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have liked Advent Conspiracy for a year or two now. I haven't ever had the money to donate to them though. I don't even have the money to buy presents for people at Christmas. But anyway, they do some really great work for those in 3rd world countries. Here is their main website if anyone is interested:

Advent Conspiracy - Advent Conspiracy

That said, I still can't figure out which charity is behind the organization. Does anyone know?

Here is the charity they are supporting currently (from their FAQ):

Where do I send my donation?

No money comes to or through Advent Conspiracy. You decide who you are giving to and when. One option is to donate to provide clean water in developing countries. You can donate to Living Water International. All [AC] donations will be applied directly to providing clean water with no funds diverted for administrative costs.

It does not appear they have an organization "behind" them, but rather that it started as a grass-roots among some pastors (not Catholic, but it's still a great organization that Catholics can support)
Advent Conspiracy was started in 2006 by five pastors who decided to make Christmas a revolutionary event by encouraging their faith communities to Worship Fully, Spend Less, Give More and Love All . The response was overwhelming and the Conspiracy was born. The vision for our project is a collaboration between Rick McKinley of Imago Dei Community in Portland, OR; Greg Holder from Windsor Crossing in St. Louis, MO; and Chris Seay of Ecclesia in Houston, TX.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums