Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Purple and blue are both Advent colors, and can often be used interchangeably. Purple is a color associated with repentance, hence its use during Lent. Blue, however, is a color associated with hope, as blue is associated with the sky; as we look forward to Christ's return in hopeful expectation and anticipation of when He comes and God makes all things new.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

KevinC1129

Simul justus et peccator
Jan 24, 2016
North Texas
✟490,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Purple and blue are both Advent colors, and can often be used interchangeably. Purple is a color associated with repentance, hence its use during Lent. Blue, however, is a color associated with hope, as blue is associated with the sky; as we look forward to Christ's return in hopeful expectation and anticipation of when He comes and God makes all things new.

-CryptoLutheran

Thank you, I never realized that.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Interestingly, Rev. Percy Dearmer in The Parson's Handbook argued that the use of Sarum Blue in Advent was not actually a historical attribute of the Sarum Rite, from which the use of blue in this manner apparently arose.

In Eastern Orthodoxy blue refers to St. Mary and also to bodiless powers (angels). In OO, there are no definite rules, except in the Coptic church where blue or black stoles are used by deacons in Holy Week.

• Informative
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,862.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, I never realized that.
Generally, in our Churches that follow the one year Lectionary, Purple is the standard, and the candles on the advent wreath would be three blue and one rose in colour; in use in the three year lectionary, 4 blue would be the standard, however I have seen three blue and one rose as well. Adiaphora, as we say.;)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,862.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Question for Catholics knowledgeable in the Tridentine rite: what color is typical for Rorate Caeli masses?
You would likely have to ask the traditional Catholics; but considering the one year (Historic) lectionary is the same:

Four Sundays
  1. First S. in Advent (Ad Te Levavi) Purple
  2. Second S. in Advent (Populus Zion) Purple
  3. Third S. in Advent (Gaudete) Purple or Rose
  4. Fourth S. in Advent (Rorate Coeli) Purple
Rose Vestments (Lutheran):

Gaudete+2009+007.jpg

Rose Vestments (Catholic):
tumblr_lmuhy37GtU1qhpzs8o1_500.jpg

gaudete-sunday-benedict-xvi-ausschnitt.jpg

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
You would likely have to ask the traditional Catholics; but considering the one year (Historic) lectionary is the same:

Four Sundays
  1. First S. in Advent (Ad Te Levavi) Purple
  2. Second S. in Advent (Populus Zion) Purple
  3. Third S. in Advent (Gaudete) Purple or Rose
  4. Fourth S. in Advent (Rorate Coeli) Purple
Rose Vestments (Lutheran):

Gaudete+2009+007.jpg

Rose Vestments (Catholic):
tumblr_lmuhy37GtU1qhpzs8o1_500.jpg

gaudete-sunday-benedict-xvi-ausschnitt.jpg

Note that Rorate Caeli masses occur during weekdays; I believe the color would be violet but Im not sure.

Edit: oops, I thought I was posting in Traditional Theology, so thats some egg on my face. I wondered why you had answered. Oh well.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,862.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Note that Rorate Caeli masses occur during weekdays; I believe the color would be violet but Im not sure.

Edit: oops, I thought I was posting in Traditional Theology, so thats some egg on my face. I wondered why you had answered. Oh well.
That's OK; and I think you would be correct.

Upvote 0