Canada
✟31,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When John says that any man who lusts after a woman has committed adultery in his heart, does he mean to say that it is the same as committing adultery in the traditional sense? If so, are we not all adulterers for eternity?

I feel that there must be some distinction.

Any light on this topic would be appreciated.

+++

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When Jesus said that, he was countering the commonly accepted ethic among Jewish married men of, "look but don't touch." Jesus was saying, "if you look, you still have a problem." If you're looking at another woman like that, then you're focused on her rather than your wife, who should be in that spot.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the point Jesus was making was this.....He was showing the self-righteous in the crowd the impossibility of justifying themselves by the Law.... many go through life without committing the actual act of adultery.....but a lustful thought? Jesus was puncturing self-righteous balloons,trying to show these hypocrites they needed a Savior.

• Agree
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
When John says that any man who lusts after a woman has committed adultery in his heart, does he mean to say that it is the same as committing adultery in the traditional sense? If so, are we not all adulterers for eternity?

+++

Jesus was simply teaching the correct application of the 7th and 10th commandments against adultery and coveting in our heart. I wouldn't say that it was necessarily the same as physical adultery, thought it still is a form of adultery. I don't recall anything that says that we are all adulterers for eternity, but I do recall that there is much said about repentance, forgiveness, and mercy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
YHWH'S Word says it is sin, not the same as 'in the traditional sense', but sin still.
No, only those who don't stop , who continue in sin unrepentent, are adulterers for eternity, and remain unforgiven, thus never receive eternal life.
Always go by what YHWH'S Word Says.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I think the point Jesus was making was this.....He was showing the self-righteous in the crowd the impossibility of justifying themselves by the Law.... many go through life without committing the actual act of adultery.....but a lustful thought? Jesus was puncturing self-righteous balloons,trying to show these hypocrites they needed a Savior.

What a cruel and unloving Father that would be to hold out an impossible standard to put us in our place and under a curse. Rather, the Bible says that the Law was given for our own good to teach us how to walk in God's ways, but never does it say anything like that it was given to puncture self-righteous balloons. He was simply teaching how to correctly obey the 7th and 10th Commandments against adultery and coveting in our heart, not trying to knock anyone down. In Deuteronomy 30:11-14, God said that what He command was not too difficult for us, but that His word is near us, in our mouth and in our heart so that we can obey it, and Romans 10:5-8 quotes this passage in regard to what our faith says, so to say that it impossible for us to obey the Law is to call God a liar and to deny what our faith says. It is impossible to become justified by the Law not because it is too difficult for us to obey, but because it was never given for that purpose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
It is still unclear to me what this actually means.
Will I be an adulterer in eternity because I masturbated to a woman I knew? What about simply thinking something lustful and then moving on?

It is clear ,all men have sinned but if we confess or sins He will forgive them.
Repent of your sin,you have already been forgiven.

Matthew 5: 27. Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 28. But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

How can this not be true?
It does not say the Woman has committed adultery, She knows nothing of our thoughts.
But God knows the deepest secrets of our heart.
Truth be told if you looked on a woman in lust, then if she was willing you or anyone else with this in mind would go with her in the physical world.
Jesus is telling us to cleanse our hearts ,we are a new creation in Him.
You can control your mind ,and not let Satan control it for you.
Resist and he will flee.
Often by great temptations Satan puts you under attack.
When those thoughts arise simply say the Lord rebuke You!
Jesus was tempted like any other man, but He refused to allow Satan a foothold in even the simplest request.
He had not eaten for forty days ,and Satan said if he be the Son of God then turn these rocks into bread.
Each time Jesus said no it is written.
Jesus could Have thrown Satan into the abyss, yet He walked on Earth as our example as a man who never sinned, showing us we have the authority over the powers of sin and darkness.
He made us more than conquerors, He gave us Victory over death ,Hell, and the grave.
Sanctify your flesh by putting away the carnal things of this world ,
Live knowing of a better promise in the World to come.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What a cruel and unloving Father that would be to hold out an impossible standard to put us in our place and under a curse. Rather, the Bible says that the Law was given for our own good to teach us how to walk in God's ways, but never does it say anything like that it was given to puncture self-righteous balloons. He was simply teaching how to correctly obey the 7th and 10th Commandments against adultery and coveting in our heart, not trying to knock anyone down. In Deuteronomy 30:11-14, God said that what He command was not too difficult for us, but that His word is near us, in our mouth and in our heart so that we can obey it, and Romans 10:5-8 quotes this passage in regard to what our faith says, so to say that it impossible for us to obey the Law is to call God a liar and to deny what our faith says. It is impossible to become justified by the Law not because it is too difficult for us to obey, but because it was never given for that purpose.

Hi soy, my worthy foe. Lol.....if righteousness could be obtained by the law,Christ died in vain.....James said if we break one law ,we have broken them all.That being said,I have broken 613 commandments today and I still have 30 minutes to go! God put all my sins on the cross....I thank God for His Grace and if He decides to remember my sins no more because I believe PaulsGospel ,I will do the same thing with my sin that God does...put them on the cross and leave them there. God bless you

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hi soy, my worthy foe.

Howdy. :wave:

Lol.....if righteousness could be obtained by the law,Christ died in vain.....

I completely agree that righteousness can't be obtained by the Law, especially because it was never given for that purpose in the first place.

James said if we break one law ,we have broken them all.That being said,I have broken 613 commandments today and I still have 30 minutes to go!

He is not saying that if we steal something than we become guilty of murder, adultery, etc. Rather, by breaking any law, we become a Lawbreaker, which means that we need to repent and turn back to obedience.

God put all my sins on the cross....I thank God for His Grace and if He decides to remember my sins no more because I believe PaulsGospel ,I will do the same thing with my sin that God does...put them on the cross and leave them there. God bless you

Shall we keeping on sinning so that grace may abound? By no means! God's grace leads us away from doing the things that God has revealed to be sin, not frees us so that we can do those things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
13 ....
but the doers of the law shall be justified:

That verse does not say that we become justified by doing the Law, but that it is the doers of the Law who will be justified, not the hearers of the Law. Jesus said that faith is one of the weightier matters of the Law (Matthew 23:23), so the doers of the Law are the ones who have faith in God to teach us how to walk in His ways, and it is by that faith that we are justified.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
13 ....
but the doers of the law shall be j

True, but Jesus was the only true “ doer of the law”, hence,the only one that could be justified by it.....I can’t keep the law but I can practice faith....thank God that it worked for Abraham and it will work for me

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
True, but Jesus was the only true “ doer of the law”, hence,the only one that could be justified by it.....I can’t keep the law but I can practice faith....thank God that it worked for Abraham and it will work for me

I think I hit the wrong button.....sorry

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I think I hit the wrong button.....sorry

The Bible describes many people as righteous, so it is completely false that only Jesus was a doer of the Law and also completely false that he was justified by it. Again, according to Romans 10:5-8, our faith says that we are doers of the Law, so if you can practice faith, then you can also be a doer of the Law. Abraham's was careful to obey all of God's laws because of his faith.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The same heart I have that God granted to me that opened my eyes to see I was a lost sinner that needed a Savior is also the same heart that is sickened when I sin...heck, these days I feel guilty swatting flies...I am the LAST one who wants grace to abound as I go on sinning...I find NO pleasure in sin now that I have been born again....why can’t people grasp that? Seriously!

Upvote 0