Adopting as a single person

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is a bent in certain christian camps that considers single parenthood to be immoral.
I wouldn’t go so far as to call it immoral.

Other things, yes. But not really immoral.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn’t go so far as to call it immoral.
Other things, yes. But not really immoral.
You are Catholic.

I have heard "immoral" from both the Fundamentalist baptist and Wesleyan Holiness groups.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of my friends adopted 2 children while she was single and in her late 20's. She loves kids and wanted to help a child while she had the means to do so. She had a great job and income and a large family and church that gave her lots of support. She adopted both as babies and they are happy , healthy, kids now. She fostered first and both kids were children she adopted from the foster system- it worked out both times for her although it doesn't always work out that way. She is dating someone and it's probably headed towards marriage and he has no problem with her kids or her having adopted them while single.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Her dad was the pastor and most of her family attends there and most non-family church members were supportive. I never heard anything negative from the church about it. I'm sure there were a few old biddies that wagged their tongue about it, but I guess she didn't care what they thought. She wasn't having children out of wedlock or sleeping around; she was trying to give children in unfortunate situations a better life and a chance to know Christ. She started out fostering children and then was able to adopt. Like I said before, she had a great job with a great income so she wasn't asking for handouts or financial support. I don't know if she set out to adopt, but she did set out to foster and the adoptions grew out of that. She is extremely pro-life and the congregation is as well and I suppose they see it as helping improve the quality of a child's life. This is a conservative Southern Baptist church. She also gives a lot personally and does fundraising to help others foster and adopt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
One of my friends adopted 2 children while she was single and in her late 20's. She loves kids and wanted to help a child while she had the means to do so. She had a great job and income and a large family and church that gave her lots of support. She adopted both as babies and they are happy , healthy, kids now. She fostered first and both kids were children she adopted from the foster system- it worked out both times for her although it doesn't always work out that way. She is dating someone and it's probably headed towards marriage and he has no problem with her kids or her having adopted them while single.

Thank you

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As someone who spent most of my life as a single mother, I can tell you that having a child brings great joy in your life. If you feel led to do this, I'm sure it will turn out great and will be helping out a child in need at the same time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Immoral? but no sexual act occurred. I'm just trying to help someone that's all
I get that.

But judgemental people in any camp are not happy if there is no one to criticize.

And if they do not call the single parent "immoral," they say the child needs both father and mother to develop according to God's ways.

• Useful
Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OH there was also a widow in her 40's (maybe) at another church I attended that adopted a little girl from China. It was another conservative Baptist church. She and her husband had been missionaries to China and they had no children of their own. I don't know the details, but she knew the family and was able to adopt and bring her over; it was about 10 years ago. The congregation and the pastor were supportive; again she was giving a child that would have had heartache and nothing a better life and a chance to know the Lord. The girl is a young adult now and is planning to be a missionary herself. She's also extremely talented musically and gives concerts at churches and shares her testimony. She seems to hhave turned out pretty well having a godly single mom who wanted her and adopted her. It drastically changed the course of her life for the good.

if your life is stable and you have the support , I don't think it's wrong to adopt to help a child , give them a loving and safe home, and have a godly impact in their life. Pharaoh 's daughter adopted Moses and saved him from harm and gave him a better life that fit into God's plan for him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ideally, I think a father and mother would be the way to go. However, I believe that a single person taking in a child with no home, nobody to love them, no real hope for a decent future in this world, should be applauded! God bless you.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0