Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I am actually disgusted when people make these kinds of serious carte blanche comments. There are times when it is appropriate for a military officer to disobey an order.

"Just obeying orders" isn't a good enough reason to set the world on fire.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am actually disgusted when people make these kinds of serious carte blanche comments. There are times when it is appropriate for a military officer to disobey an order.

"Just obeying orders" isn't a good enough reason to set the world on fire.
Set the world on fire is a lawful order, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,129.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Trump, in the first general election debate, expressly pledged no first strike, which neither Hillary Clinton nor even Obama ever did. Which means the only case that this would happen would be if China had already used nuclear weapons against the US or a country friendly to the US.

Shall we go down the list of things he has pledged which are no longer in effect?

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Shall we go down the list of things he has pledged which are no longer in effect?

Granted, political leaders don't always keep their promises, but at least with Trump there would be a promise to break...

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,129.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Granted, political leaders don't always keep their promises, but at least with Trump there would be a promise to break...

Given his past performance I find that scant comfort.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmm if the president can nuke anyone he wants, I wonder why congress wanted him to confirm even those syria strikes before doing it. Doesn't seem he has to.
You see, if he decides to use conventional munitions he has to ask for permission but if he wants to deploy the deadliest weapons ever invented and known to man, he only needs to call it in and set a target.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So this is where it gets sticky.

Congress has the sole authority to declare war. The president cannot declare war on his own. But a few years ago he was granted the power to take emergency action. It's limited but he can drop bombs, deploy troops, or send out nukes if he deems it necessary.
Good thing we have an "expert" in these matters sitting in the Oval Office.... I would hate for this kind of power to be in the hands of an unstable individual.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
He also pledged a southern border wall, a ban on Muslim immigration, and healthcare for all.

The wall just got funded (as in, today), the ban on immigration from unstable regions has long been made but only has failed to be implemented because of decisions by lower courts (though it looks like it will be found to be constitutional), and plans to put a new healthcare system in place are currently being developed.

If anything these three examples prove that our president is a man of his word.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Doesn't Trumps family do business in China? If so they don't have to worry. I just hope Pres. Trump doesn't have the power to do that to Mexico, CA. Or doesn't know he does. I wish people wouldn't put crazy idea's in his mind.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,129.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The wall just got funded (as in, today), the ban on immigration from unstable regions has long been made but only has failed to be implemented because of decisions by lower courts (though it looks like it will be found to be constitutional), and plans to put a new healthcare system in place are currently being developed.

If anything these three examples prove that our president is a man of his word.
22c.gif

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you're telling me the president needs permission to declare war, but doesn't to launch a nuke? Do European countries work the same way? Or did we write the law this way 'cause 'Murica.

We are doomed.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
So you're telling me the president needs permission to declare war, but doesn't to launch a nuke? Do European countries work the same way? Or did we write the law this way 'cause 'Murica.
You wrote the law this way because the evil reds were coming for your cheeseburgers and you had to be able to eradicate them at a moments notice.

Upvote 0