Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Admiral William McRaven used an interview with CNN Sunday to respond to President Donald Trump’s dismissal of him as a Hillary Clinton backer.

In a Fox News interview aired earlier that same day, Trump had described McRaven as a “Hillary Clinton fan” and questioned why the military had not killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden sooner.

McRaven was the architect of the 2011 raid in which Navy SEALs assassinated 9/11 mastermind bin Laden in his compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

"I did not back Hillary Clinton or anyone else," McRaven told CNN in response to Trump’s comments.

"I am a fan of President Obama and President George W. Bush, both of whom I worked for. I admire all presidents, regardless of their political party, who uphold the dignity of the office and who use that office to bring the nation together in challenging times."

"I stand by my comment that the President's attack on the media is the greatest threat to our democracy in my lifetime," McRaven said, referencing critical remarks he made about Trump last year. "When you undermine the people's right to a free press and freedom of speech and expression, then you threaten the Constitution and all for which it stands."

Trump had derided McRaven—who during his 37 years in the U.S. military also oversaw the capture of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein—as a “Hillary Clinton fan” and “Obama backer”.

“Wouldn’t it have been nice if we got Osama bin Laden a lot sooner than that, wouldn’t it have been nice?” the president said. “You know, living — think of this — living in Pakistan, beautifully in Pakistan, in what I guess they considered a nice mansion, I don’t know, I’ve seen nicer. But living in Pakistan right next to the military academy, everybody in Pakistan knew he was there.”

Retired Major General Paul Eaton was among those who criticsed the president's comments, describing that attack as "unconscionable" in a tweet Monday.

"The least noble American, Cadet Bonespurs @realDonaldTrump , has resumed his unconscionable attack on one of our most noble - Admiral McRaven - who continues to serve America with dignity and his keen sense of history. Midterms served as a referendum for this appalling POTUS," tweeted Eaton.
The Admiral who oversaw the bin Laden raid has hit back at Trump's taunts: "I did not back Hillary Clinton"

No wonder the world is laughing at us.

Bush, for whatever reason did not put a premium on getting bin Laden. I'm not second-guessing him. Obama, on taking office, ordered him found and taken. Our people said "Yes sir; right away sir." And they got him. That simple.

Did it make us safer? Don't know, but it has to be in the mind of every would-be terrorist that we can track down and take out just about anyone we decide to get.

Last edited:

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Every time Trump opens his mouth against one of this country's best, he reminds me of what is often said about history - that it is often written by those guilty of the very crimes they slanderously report others supposedly guilty of.

No thanks, Trump, I'll take some supposed "late" military action/result by an individual like an Admiral William McRaven over that of a slanderously reported "history" on same, by an individual who five times purposely used his family's influence to avoid any military action at all.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Former acting & deputy CIA director Michael Morell also corrected Trump:
Correction needed to POTUS’s comment today that McRaven should have found bin Laden sooner. CIA did the “finding.” McRaven’s special operators did the “getting.” They moved within days of President Obama giving the order.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Every time Trump opens his mouth against one of this country's best, he reminds me of what is often said about history - that it is often written by those guilty of the very crimes they slanderously report others supposedly guilty of.

No thanks, Trump, I'll take some supposed "late" military action/result by an individual like an Admiral William McRaven over that of a slanderously reported "history" on same, by an individual who five times purposely used his family's influence to avoid any military action at all.
Trump opens his mouth and stupid comes out. Criticizing a man who served his country in the Navy for almost 40 years, while he got deferments because of a fake bone spurs story. He can't remember which foot they were in. McRaven had nothing to do with the search for bin Laden. He was part of the capture/ kill mission.

Reactions: Danoh
Upvote 0