Adequate punishment for sermon plagiarism

When a pastor plagiarizes sermons, s/he must resign.

• Yes

• No (Write your rationale on the thread please)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mike Olson 77

Apr 15, 2017
New York
✟21,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The church has found that the senior pastor plagiarized his sermons by copying another pastor's. He gave seven sermons during the passion week (one each day) and they are seven of another pastor's series of 11 sermons for the crucifixion of Jesus. In this case, what would be the proper punishment for the pastor? Should he resign by himself? If he justifies his plagiarism and does not resign, should the church fire him? If not, what should it do? Please share your wisdom for the best of the church as well as the pastor. Thank you.

For clarification, here are my responses to Albion's questions:
1. Did he borrow the sermon, word for word? YES.
2. Was it copywritten? YES, the original sermons were published as a copywritten single book.
3. Did he give any credit to the originator in his remarks when delivering the sermon? NOT AT ALL.
4. Was the theme or the conclusion anything out of the ordinary? AGAIN verbatim copy of the sermons.
5. Was it only segments or certain phrases that were taken from another's sermon? NO, the entire sermon was repeated word to word from the beginning to the end. The pastor added his own illustrations, but the original sermon was not diminished.

Last edited:

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not anyone's place to punish the senior pastor, but if there is a mature eldership that hires and fires the pastor, then I'd thank him for preaching some good sermons and for his work in general, and I'd ask him if he had the sermon author's permission. I may then tell him that preaching someone else's sermons is a violation of copyright law (unless it is done with the permission of the author), and that they'd like him to not do that in the future, but if he does get permission to tell the audience at the start who's sermon it is. They could also state that their hope is that the pastor will prayerfully seek what God wants him to preach about so he can preach from his own heart and understanding. If he wanted to offer sermons every day of a week (an enormous amount of work), he could invite guest preachers for some of the days or prepare the sermons months in advance to avoid a time/pressure crunch.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I may then tell him that preaching someone else's sermons is a violation of copyright law (unless it is done with the permission of the author),
Question
Because someone writes something is it automatically covered by copyright law?
I don't think being guilty of plagiarism necessary means that copyright law has been broken.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The church has found that the senior pastor plagiarized his sermons by copying another pastor's. He gave seven sermons during the passion week (one each day) and they are seven of another pastor's series of 11 sermons for the crucifixion of Jesus. In this case, what would be the proper punishment for the pastor? Should he resign by himself? If he justifies his plagiarism and does not resign, should the church fire him? If not, what should it do? Please share your wisdom for the best of the church as well as the pastor. Thank you.
Has the author been consulted about how he feels about it? If not maybe that should be the first step. He may not want anyone to be punished for using his sermons.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Plagiarise? Would he be obligated to edit out the scripture references? The Truth revealed in each one? Stories the original pastor told?

I read Christian sermons posted on the internet, along with Christian commentary. I study insights found in Christian sermons / commentary. I often use direct quotes "(.......)" from sermons / commentaries. I often review, then modify quotes from each, some rather long, some rather short, utilizing my own sense of meaning for clarity in what I have just read.

I've listened to sermons that were obviously canned, knowing full-well that they were being repeated from multiple pulpits.

I don't see a problem, as long as the original is scriptural.

Upvote 0

Mike Olson 77

Apr 15, 2017
New York
✟21,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Has the author been consulted about how he feels about it? If not maybe that should be the first step. He may not want anyone to be punished for using his sermons.

An interesting perspective. By the way there are countries where rape is not punished if the victim doesn't want so.

Upvote 0

Mike Olson 77

Apr 15, 2017
New York
✟21,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see a problem, as long as the original is scriptural.

Alright. If someone gives his congregation your sermon word to word verbatim (That was what my senior pastor did for seven sermons), would you feel fine with that and see no problem? Would you feel honored and appreciate him as he chose yours among many other wonderful sermons?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Exactly what is the case with this? Did he borrow the sermon, word for word? Was it copywritten? Did he give any credit to the originator in his remarks when delivering the sermon? Was the theme or the conclusion anything out of the ordinary? Was it only segments or certain phrases that were taken from another's sermon?

Upvote 0

AspieforGod

My Brother is Jesus!
Apr 16, 2017
Exeter
✟11,790.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
As long as the gospel is soundly preached by God fearing men I don't mind who drafted and polished the Sermon. Humans aren't anything God is the important thing. I think too much is made of 'credit' so you can string some words together so what? Did you give yourself that talent? No, God did. All credit is due to God.

Upvote 0

Mike Olson 77

Apr 15, 2017
New York
✟21,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly what is the case with this? Did he borrow the sermon, word for word? Was it copywritten? Did he give any credit to the originator in his remarks when delivering the sermon? Was the theme or the conclusion anything out of the ordinary? Was it only segments or certain phrases that were taken from another's sermon?

1. Did he borrow the sermon, word for word? YES.
2. Was it copywritten? YES, the original sermons were published as a copywritten single book.
3. Did he give any credit to the originator in his remarks when delivering the sermon? NOT AT ALL.
4. Was the theme or the conclusion anything out of the ordinary? AGAIN verbatim copy of the sermons.
5. Was it only segments or certain phrases that were taken from another's sermon? NO, the entire sermon was repeated word to word from the beginning to the end. The pastor added his own illustrations, but the original sermon was not diminished.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mike Olson 77

Apr 15, 2017
New York
✟21,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
As long as the gospel is soundly preached by God fearing men I don't mind who drafted and polished the Sermon. Humans aren't anything God is the important thing. I think too much is made of 'credit' so you can string some words together so what? Did you give yourself that talent? No, God did. All credit is due to God.
Let me ask you a question. If the senior simply introduces other people's sermons without studying the Bible on his own, what is the reason we pay him a six-digit salary and benefit package (my church does so).

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alright. If someone gives his congregation your sermon word to word verbatim (That was what my senior pastor did for seven sermons), would you feel fine with that and see no problem? Would you feel honored and appreciate him as he chose yours among many other wonderful sermons?
I'd be honored.

Upvote 0

AspieforGod

My Brother is Jesus!
Apr 16, 2017
Exeter
✟11,790.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
As long as the gospel is soundly preached by God fearing men I don't mind who drafted and polished the Sermon. Humans aren't anything God is the important thing. I think too much is made of 'credit' so you can string some words together so what? Did you give yourself that talent? No, God did. All credit is due to God. .
Let me ask you a question. If the senior simply introduces other people's sermons without studying the Bible on his own, what is the reason we pay him a six-digit salary and benefit package (my church does so).

I'm the wrong person to ask I don't agree with paying clergy a salary.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should he resign by himself? If he justifies his plagiarism and does not resign, should the church fire him? If not, what should it do? Please share your wisdom for the best of the church as well as the pastor. Thank you.

The church should do nothing, Mike. If the sermon he copied was good, good enough to be copied verbatim, why shouldn't he copy it. Any minister and any believer who thinks he should be punished for doing such a thing is apparently operating under some sort of delusion that preaching is a competition for glory or something. "How dare you plagiarize him?" <eye roll>

That whole situation sounds like a complete, pitiful preoccupation with self from all quarters concerned.

Hope I didn't offend, but as a believer that whole situation quite honestly both offends and astounds me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An interesting perspective. By the way there are countries where rape is not punished if the victim doesn't want so.
Huh? Wha? Where does this fit into the discussion in this forum? Hello?

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is plagiarism a criminal offense?
Does he do this every Sunday sermon?

Did he read and agree with these sermons before he preached them?
If he is the senior pastor it stands to reason that he has studied the Bible for several years and knows a good sermon when he hears one.

Upvote 0

Mike Olson 77

Apr 15, 2017
New York
✟21,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'd be honored.
I see. So you don't regard sermon plagiarism as an act of stealing. Do you think Christians should go fine with the lower moral standards than non-Christians who, for example, harshly punish students when they plagiarized homework?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do agree with you on one point for sure. If these sermons were under copyright, BY THE AUTHOR, he should have asked the author's permission to use them.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do agree with you on one point for sure. If these sermons were under copyright, BY THE AUTHOR, he should have asked the author's permission to use them.

If that pastor is so worried about being plagiarized, I wouldn't copy a single word he says, ever.

Upvote 0