Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Easter refers to Ishtar, also known as Diana.

Then why is this term (Easter) not know in the East, the Birthplace of Christianity ? If it were truly an adaptation of a pagan festival or goddess, the name would exist in the East, yet it does not. Please explain why.

Pascha was foreshadowed by the Jewish Passover, this is recognized by all of Eastern Christianity including the Fathers of the Church from the Apostolic era to today. Just because you cannot concieve it does not make it false.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I STILL don't know why you find the origin of birthdays being pagan as highly doubtful.

I find it doubtful because no one has given evidence of it and the reason it is usually brought up by heretics is to discount the celebration of the Nativity of Christ. So not only is its truth doubtful, but it's origin is suspect as coming from the author of confusion.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Easter refers to Ishtar, also known as Diana. The fertility cult marks are all over it. Fertility goddess worship is what Easter is all about. There is nothing remotely Christian about easter bunnies & eggs.

I'll bite.

This comment shows that you know nothing about the feast of Pascha, or Orthodox Christianity either.

Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
VOW-

How are you my lady? I found it very intresting that you found so much jewish influence in the church and mass of the catholic church. You are right on with your scriptures. None of that part of the chuch that you mentioned have i ever concidered pagan. If you look into things baptism was a pagan ritual of the ancient egyptians. I think most of the things that have turned me off so to speak is the symolism used in the church, not so much as the building the attire worn by the priests.
I am not sure how to copy and paste images but I will try to desrbibe what symbols I mean.
THe P with the X on it. That has acinet roots. Also the cross with the loop at the top. That is found in many egyptian tombs. There is also that pyrimd with the eye above it, that is a pagan symbol. And of course the various uses of the sun in many drawings and decorations. THere is many more that I cannot think of right now. I did a big study on the symbols and still don't understand why they are there. I am sure alot of it has to do with the artists themselves decorating the church. For exapmle, many artist put halos on people in pictures and wings on angels on pictures not because they wanted their pagan influence to be on display but to separate the holy saints/angels from the regular jewish or gentile Characters. The only way to let the viewer know who that person or angel is by making some sorta of distinction between human and holy.
Anyway, I thought you did a good job explaining things. What is your take on all the symbols in the church and how they got there and why they are there.
I hope I can keep up with this thread. I don't come here often. Maybe you can just email me your thoughts.
GEL
info@windowblindskillchildren.org

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
THe P with the X on it. That has acinet roots. Also the cross with the loop at the top. That is found in many egyptian tombs. There is also that pyrimd with the eye above it, that is a pagan symbol.

Well, the Chi/Rho is a symbol for Christ. And the eye in a triangle (Trinity) was coopted by pagans after the Christians used it. The halos are symbolic of the uncreated light of God which cannot be reproduced on an icon. This in turn is symbolic of the theosis or deification that was obtained through the grace of God in the Saint depicted.

Upvote 0

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Rick Otto said:
Oblio, with all due respect,
Take a study break.
You've shown you nothing about Easter or Non-Orthodox Christianity.

An odd comment, given that Oblio was Protestant before being reconciled to Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
no more odd than his comment re: me, tho.
And especially when you consider that most professing christians know & care nothing about the substantial differences between the two, or that those differences have largely disappeared by way of counter-reformationist activities by Jesuits.
Ignorance & apathy are the two essential ingredients for ecumenism, beside the urge toward unity.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.