• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Addicted to masturbation

axydavid

Weird
Aug 6, 2012
City 17
✟9,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess I'm not the first one here who seeks help about this kind of thing.

I have been masturbating since I was 8 and I have been trying to stop it since 6 months ago when I realized that it was wrong(talk about being slow). The main problem is that my family sees masturbation as something normal. Anyway, the main problem here is that I want to stop doing this trash and it is to me like "Mission Impossible". My best record of going on without doing it is 28 days, since then I don't really have any self-esteem anymore and questioning I am questioning myself whenever castration is a good or a bad alternative. I really ha te myself for doing it but I just can't find a reason to stop it. So I was wondering if anyone who struggled (please note the D) with this before can help me?
Please forgive me for my possible misstypes as I am writing this from a mobile.

Reactions: Nora.JIL

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's normal to feel discouraged after doing so well and then failing to follow through on your decisions by one day. It sounds like you already have a reason to stop - you don't like how you feel about yourself. The question is what do you do about that?

Don't give up on you... if you want to stop masturbating, work on that again. You are valuable and worthwhile as you are - your value isn't in your behavior, but in who you are inside. Behaviors can be changed.

Upvote 0

Stevelee44

Mar 23, 2012
Stanton, California
✟7,955.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You are trying to do it on your own, don't. God's grace will help you. The main problem is stop looking at inappropriate content. If you are constantly watching or looking at Nudity the desire comes and when the desire comes then you touch. I have the same problem. It feels good. Just put your mind on The Word of God, spiritual things not The Flesh. You are condemned everytime you do it I know how you feel. It is a back and forth thing. You are good for a few weeks then you do it again. The process goes into years. You want to stop but the feeling is overwelmingly good and addictive. It is just like a drug addiction. It is all about controlling what you see. Stop looking at Nudity. This is the best advice I have for you.

Upvote 0

Aspireman

May 13, 2012
USA
✟15,256.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've been failing a lot too. I tend not to lust while doing it (unless it's lust for the feeling). I do it because, well it feels good. I'm not planning on getting married, so I justify it a lot. I was free from it for about 4 years, so it is possible. Hoping we can gain self control.

Upvote 0

apologia25

May 31, 2005
Uganda
✟15,324.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Politics
US-Republican
First of all I want to encourage you that you are not alone in this struggle. Lots of people struggle with it. I applaud you that you are trying to fight against it at all. There are a few things I want to share. The first is why do you do it? I know it sounds like a dumb question. But what is true in many peoples lives is that masturbation has become the friend that will comfort them when all else has failed. Sometimes we do it to reward ourselves(funny reward I know), sometimes we do it to relieve stress, or sometimes we do it because we feel like we're going to explode if we dont. So understanding what circumstances bring you there is very important. you've said even a word can bring you there. Well as they say garbage in garbage out. I recently had to take a break from movies because I realized it was a big source of inflammation of my lust. some famous guy said know thy enemy and the enemy is us, our flesh, so we have to know the triggers. Secondly its all about accountability. Is there a friend you have that you can share this with and he will keep you accountable? they can ask you every day or every week how you're doing and if you've fallen. i find just knowing someone is going to ask is a preventative to avoid shame. Through all of this please know that God's love for you hasnt changed and He's aware of your struggle. As we have accountability work on increasing the numbers of days between falls. If you can go a week can you go two, if you fall after two get up and try and again asking God for the grace to succeed. hope this helps man feel free to PM me

Upvote 0

mseveneight

Aug 25, 2012
✟7,612.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hi I just want to encourage you, as others have, to be drawn back time & again to grace. I hope you can begin to see yourself the way God sees you - totally loved & valued by Him - and not feel hate towards yourself. The very fact that you are wanting & having the desire to tackle this area is evidence of God at work in your life, gradually changing your desires.

Something I've found really helpful to remember is that God's love for us is not dependant on our progress in obedience or performance at all - it's totally dependant on Christ. I've found that to be a real help in growing my love for God and decreasing my love for 'settling for lesser things' - such as masturbation. And the amazing thing is that then even when we fall and do mess up, we are reminded of the Gospel afresh & our constant need for Jesus.

Masturbation can be a really difficult thing to shake - as our brains have become so accustomed to accepting the lies that we tell it ('this will be worth it', 'this will make me feel great...' etc) - instead of the truth that says that the things that Jesus offers are so much better & that in the end masturbation just leaves us feeling terrible about ourselves, devaluing others & lonely.

Be transformed by the renewing of your mind - we are being transformed by God at work in us, as we turn our focus onto Christ (as opposed to focussing on stopping masturbating)

Hope that makes some sort of sense. It's a tough battle to fight - but there's grace every step of the way.

Upvote 0

Puree

Sep 28, 2018
Nairobi
✟15,212.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I have been masturbating since I was 8 and I have been trying to stop it since 6 months ago when I realized that it was wrong(talk about being slow). The main problem is that my family sees masturbation as something normal. Anyway, the main problem here is that I want to stop doing this trash and it is to me like "Mission Impossible". My best record of going on without doing it is 28 days, since then I don't really have any self-esteem anymore and questioning I am questioning myself whenever castration is a good or a bad alternative. I really ha te myself for doing it but I just can't find a reason to stop it. So I was wondering if anyone who struggled (please note the D) with this before can help me?

Upvote 0

Puree

Sep 28, 2018
Nairobi
✟15,212.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I too have a masturbation problem. I started masturbating when I was about 20 years of age and couldn't seem to stop no matter how hard i tried. And just like you, I would delay repentance until I was sure I was ready. However, I realise now that is how Satan wants it. We can and indeed should run to our loving Father for forgiveness whenever we sin because He is always ready to forgive us.
Anyway, I found a certain website that really helped me as it detailed steps to overcome masturbation. I cant seen to find it anymore but when I do, I will share the url. However it took a lot of prayers and sometimes just calling on the name of Jesus and quoting verses when the urge became too much to bear. I was able to overcome and was free from masturbation for a whole year. However, after a while I relapsed and was so depressed, after all, I thought i had it all under control. But when i really think about it around the time i relapsed, my prayer life had gone down and so had my bible study time.
So i quickly realised that when you are weak in an area, the devil will keep tempting you for the rest of your natural life. The best you can do is resolve to stop it then pray to God to help you, not once, not twice but basically anytime you pray ask God for strength to overcome masturbation. You can also fast about it.
Also study the bible especially on the areas of lust and sexual purity. Also you can share your struggle with a MATURE believer who will pray for you and help you in your journey towards freedom.
Lastly, whenever you lapse, just go to God and repent IMMEDIATELY and ask for strength not to do it again.
May God be with you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lavaduder
Upvote 0

Barnabas2

Aug 31, 2019
Suffolk
✟9,549.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Barnabas2

Aug 31, 2019
Suffolk
✟9,549.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I want to encourage everyone who is struggling with temptation of any kind.

There is victory in Jesus! Hear what the Word of God says:-

1. 1 Corinthians 10:13. No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide an escape, so that you can stand up under it.
Please note, everyone of us are and will be until we arrive in heaven, subject to temptation. Yours is no different to anyone else's. However, please remember, temptation is not sin. It only becomes sin when we yield to it and give in to it. Don't let the devil make life miserable for you because you are tempted. Every believer is tempted. Our Saviour was tempted but didn't sin.

God will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear. That is, the temptation will never be too strong for you to overcome.

The way of escape is not from temptation but through temptation. He will give you grace to stand firm under it and through it victoriously.

1) James 4:7. Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Victory over temptation and sin is dependant on three things.

A) You are born again. You have been converted to Christ. If not, then you are and will be a slave to sin and Satan. If you are not born again (John 3:) then it is imperative you seek the Lord while He may be found and call on Him while He is near. You must be born again.

B) As a believer you must be in submission to the Lord. Jesus must be Lord of all or He is not Lord at all. Have you handed they keys of every department in your life over to Him? This is so Important if you are seeking victory in you life. In Ps 66:18 it says, If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. Sin, any sin cherished, will cause God to refuse to listen to your requests. If you sincerely have confessed, repented and genuinely sought to turn away from sin you are in a good place, even if you at present are struggling and maybe experiencing failure from time to time. God's ear is still open to your hearts cry.

C) Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Read that slowly and let it sink deep into your sub consciousness. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. You will not buckle under his lying temptations. He will run away from you. As you trust the Lord and seek His face Satan is terrified and knows he is defeated. His temptations are lies. He cannot give what he promises. Only God can do that. Satan cannot make you do anything you don't want to do. Satan tempts us to bring out the worst in us. God tests us to bring out the best in us.

Do what Jesus did. Find a Bible promise suitable to your particular type of temptation. Believe it. Quote it to Satan. Steadfastly resist his lying attempts to drag you down into sin. God will come to your aid and Satan will - must - flee from you. If on occasions you may slip or fall run to 1 John 1:9 immediately. That is the infallible remedy.

This is the promise of God. Believe and now go and prove it. Be careful to give God all the glory.

Upvote 0

Mimosa55

Oct 6, 2019
Montreal
✟15,202.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hey there, that's a great question. There are actually many ways to cure masturbation addiction. I found a video on YouTube that explains a few simple ways on how to cure masturbation addiction

I've tried many different ways to cure this. Here's a link to a video that gives some great tips.

http://gestyy.com/w4MU8U

Wait 5 seconds and then click on ''Skip the add'' option on the to right of the screen and then you will be redirected to the YouTube video that shows how to cure masturbation addiction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

axydavid

Weird
Aug 6, 2012
City 17
✟9,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is indeed a dead thread, but I just wanted to thanks for all the support from you guys, and of course God's, I am bring released by this sin and am moving on with my file now, while temptations arise, they are more and more insignificant.
For me at least I decided to fast until lunchtime every Saturday, read from the bible and pray and it seems this has really helped me A LOT, LIKE SERIOUSLY A LOT.

Upvote 0