JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Bible tells us that Adam lived to be 930 years of age. This is hard for some people to accept. But actually there are others who believe that if Adam had not sinned, he could have eaten from the tree of life and he would have lived forever.

We know for sure, that there were no thorns, thistles, or weeds in the garden of Eden. Some people believe there was no death at all, in that the fruit did not ever rot on the vine and so forth.

There is a lesson in this, for all of us. It is a simple lesson that we have no problem at all, teaching to a third grade child in our sunday school program. We all have a choice. We can eat from the tree of sin and death and we will die. Or we can eat from the tree of life and we can live forever.

People who choose death, deny, at least for now, that they ever had a choice. They deceive themselves. People who choose life, know that it was a choice. They hope to be able to help others in some way, to make the right choice so others also can live.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Jerry Smith
A few of my friends and relatives were Christians, but died anyway. 

Only the body dies. If they were saved, then they are in Heaven with Jesus now. There are a lot of people there that I look forward to seeing again when the time comes for me to enter in.

In fact, I really look forward to talking to some of the people who gave us our Bible. The Saints who went before us. Who began the work that we continue to do today.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
The easy way to answer: "It is not the way it seems. Yes, you may "die", but that is not the real death - you will have eternal life. Well, not exactly the way it is now - but better. No, I can´t show you, or explain - you just have to believe."

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Freodin
you just have to believe."

It is not like we do not have any contact at all with our loved ones that have gone on before us. The Angels go back and forth for us. It is just that they do not know any of the pain and misery and suffering that we are having to go through. It would not be Heaven if they were aware of that stuff. They are seperated from ALL ungodlyness. They abide in righteous, holiness, purity and truth. We tend to murmer, grumble and complain and that is what seperates us from them.

But if I want to ask Mary a question about Jesus, or if I want to ask Paul a question about theology, that is no problem. God will find a way to get the answer to me.

Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

I am sure they are cheering us on, saying we ran our race, we found our victory, now you can find your victory in Jesus also.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by JohnR7
The Bible tells us that Adam lived to be 930 years of age. This is hard for some people to accept. But actually there are others who believe that if Adam had not sinned, he could have eaten from the tree of life and he would have lived forever.

Too bad he ruined it for the rest of us. Think of all the scoffing I could do, given a few centuries...

There is a lesson in this, for all of us. It is a simple lesson that we have no problem at all, teaching to a third grade child in our sunday school program. We all have a choice. We can eat from the tree of sin and death and we will die. Or we can eat from the tree of life and we can live forever.

With a story like that, I think you should probably stick to third graders. 

But seriously, Adam wasn't the only old-timer in the Bible. Noah made it to 950 years (Genesis 9:29) and Methuselah holds the record at 969 years (Genesis 5:27)

When Christ spoke of "eternal life" he was obviously speaking symbolically, i.e., the immortality of the spirit. But it seems that these three took immortality to a whole new level. ;) Perhaps if they hadn't sinned, they'd still be with us today.

So when did immortality stop being literal and start being symbolic?

Upvote 0
Only the body dies.

John: If you take my magic pill, it will make your acne go away.

Jacob: Bob and Sue took your magic pill and their acne just got worse.

John: Only the face's acne gets worse. The soul's acne goes away & the soul's cheeks get rosier.

Jacob: Oh. Well, I thought you were talking about the face's acne. I didn't even know the soul could have it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
John: If you take my magic pill, it will make your acne go away.

Jacob: Bob and Sue took your magic pill and their acne just got worse.

John: Only the face's acne gets worse. The soul's acne goes away & the soul's cheeks get rosier.

Jacob: Oh. Well, I thought you were talking about the face's acne. I didn't even know the soul could have it.

Don't forget the rest of the conversation:

Jacob: But my soul doesn't have any acne.

John: Of course it does! God says so!

Jacob: Are you sure? I don't see anything...

John: Well, it may look fine to you, but to God, who's never had so much as a single zit, your soul looks like the surface of Mars. Here, take a bunch of the magic pills, and make sure you sell them to everybody...

Upvote 0
LOL...

You scoff, but even so, you are just being an unwilling instrument of God. He prophecied 2000 years ago that people would scoff at the end times. Here we are at the end times and folks like you have just now started scoffing for the first time.... Next thing you know here comes a red heifer & there we go into the bomb shelter!

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
LOL...

You scoff, but even so, you are just being an unwilling instrument of God. He prophecied 2000 years ago that people would scoff at the end times.

2 Peter 3:3 knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts,

You are right, even scoffers prove the word of God, because we are told to expect them.

They can be used by God even more than some Christians. God can use anyone that is perdictable. No one can be more perdictable than a scoffer. The problem God has is with people who are not consistant, who are in and out, back and forth. He does not know what they will do, so that makes it very difficult for Him to use them.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by JohnR7
2 Peter 3:3 knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts,

You are right, even scoffers prove the word of God, because we are told to expect them.

And here's the problem with prophecy: Was there ever a period when there weren't scoffers?

They can be used by God even more than some Christians. God can use anyone that is perdictable. No one can be more perdictable than a scoffer. The problem God has is with people who are not consistant, who are in and out, back and forth. He does not know what they will do, so that makes it very difficult for Him to use them.

You may want to choose your words more carefully; even those third graders could see though this.

God has problems? I guess omnipotence isn't all it's cracked up to be.

God doesn't know what inconsistant people are going to do? There goes his omniscience.

God has difficulties? Difficulty implies effort; effort implies limitations.

Also, the word is predictable, not perdictable.

Upvote 0

Lacmeh

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,156.00
You are hopefully aware, that it is genetially impossible to live more than 300 years?
The aging process is simply a limitation in cells, they can´t part endlessly without failures (Wel except cancer cells). Once certain restrictions arer emoved, the cell partings can be done approximately for a time of 300 years before it is impossible again.
Since evolution is not true, all people must have the same gene codes since Adam and Eve. Those same gene codes make a life for over 300 years impossible..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Er, no. First off, if we're assuming creationism, then we are assuming "decaying genes". Secondly, I am not aware of a genetic "hard limit" at 300; my understanding is that the limit is closer to 120-140 right now. 300, as I recall, was the life expectancy assuming only accidental and violent death.

Upvote 0

Lacmeh

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,156.00
I was rsponding to JohnR7.
The current genetic hard limit is around 120 years. But with optimizing the cell parting system, the maximum life span is 300. in cells there are inhibitors, which prevent unchecked growth, like the cancer cells show. To optimize those inhibitors, without removing them and various other factors (Don´t know all of the aging factors, bu that is one of them), the life span can be stretched. But nowhere in the 900 years age.
Since a devout Christian and creationist started the thread, I want to point out the logical fallacy with using creation.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am not sure that the limit you specify is unbreakable. Imagine a cat scientist saying "nope, there's no way. Twenty years, maybe, sixty with perfect optimization, but no one will ever live 120 years." Lifespans vary a lot; I suspect the underlying mechanisms are tweakable.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by seebs
I am not sure that the limit you specify is unbreakable. Imagine a cat scientist saying "nope, there's no way. Twenty years, maybe, sixty with perfect optimization, but no one will ever live 120 years." Lifespans vary a lot; I suspect the underlying mechanisms are tweakable.

Nobody's denying that they're tweakable, but to 930 years? That's a heck of a lot more than a tweak.

Upvote 0

Athlon4all

I'm offline indefintely
Feb 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,965.00
Adam lived exactly 930 years just as the Bible says. He would've lived forever (physically and spiritually) if he had not sinned.

Genesis 3:17-19 is the curse placed onto Adam and his descendants (us). And here's what it says: "And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."

The important part is that last bolded part. This is the covenant between Adam and God, which came because of sin. Because of the term dust, this is clearly talking about the physical body. This is saying essentially "Now Adam, because you sinned, you are going to die physcially" and then the part of the chapter where it is made clear that he will not eat the tree of life indicates spiritual death (if it weren't for the temporary atonment of the OT and Christ in the NT and today)

Upvote 0