"Adam" in Greek

P

Philis

I had a thought about the meaning of the word "Adam" in Greek. Since I'm still a bit new to this I'm not posting this as a declaration of truth, I'm posting it for constructive feedback.

When we read the bible in English we use the word Adam in the old testament. When we discuss the usage of the word it is good to point out that the Hebrew word for "Adam" is different than the English usage of the word. This means that a plain reading of an English bible may not always give us the intended meaning of the Hebrew text.

In the same way when the Greek used the word "Adam" they used it because it is their version of the Hebrew word, but it doesn't have the same meaning. So to just say that the Greek word can only refer to an individual doesn't necessarily mean that Genesis must also be referring to an historical individual. It seems to be an issue in using different languages where by using the Greek some of the Hebrew context is lost, just like how using English to talk about Adam also loses some of the Hebrew context.

I'm not too sure my explanation is clear, hopefully that makes sense.:blush:

Thoughts?

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I had a thought about the meaning of the word "Adam" in Greek. Since I'm still a bit new to this I'm not posting this as a declaration of truth, I'm posting it for constructive feedback.

When we read the bible in English we use the word Adam in the old testament. When we discuss the usage of the word it is good to point out that the Hebrew word for "Adam" is different than the English usage of the word. This means that a plain reading of an English bible may not always give us the intended meaning of the Hebrew text.

In the same way when the Greek used the word "Adam" they used it because it is their version of the Hebrew word, but it doesn't have the same meaning. So to just say that the Greek word can only refer to an individual doesn't necessarily mean that Genesis must also be referring to an historical individual. It seems to be an issue in using different languages where by using the Greek some of the Hebrew context is lost, just like how using English to talk about Adam also loses some of the Hebrew context.

Thoughts?

Strong's G76 - Adam Ἀδάμ Of Hebrew origin אָדָם (H121).
1) Adam, the first man, the parent of the whole human family​
Strong's Number G76 matches the Greek Ἀδάμ (Adam), which occurs 9 times in 7 verses in the Greek concordance of the KJV

• Luk 3:38 Which was [the son] of Enos, which was [the son] of Seth, which was [the son] of Adam, which was [the son] of God.
  • Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come .
  • 1Cr 15:22 For as in Adam all die , even so in Christ shall all be made alive
  • 1Cr 15:45 And so it is written , The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit.
  • 1Ti 2:13 For Adam was first formed , then Eve.
  • 1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived , but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
  • Jud 1:14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying , Behold , the Lord cometh with ten thousan
ds of his saints,​

Adam = "red" Strong's H121 - אָדָם 'Adam
1) first man
2) city in Jordan valley​
Strong's Number H121 matches the Hebrew אָדָם ('Adam), which occurs 9 times in 9 verses in the Hebrew concordance of the KJV
  • Gen 3:17 And unto Adam he said , Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee , saying , Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed [is] the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat [of] it all the days of thy life;
  • Gen 5:1 This [is] the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
  • Gen 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat [a son] in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
  • Gen 5:4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:
  • Gen 5:5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died .
  • Jos 3:16 That the waters which came down from above stood [and] rose up upon an heap very far from the city Adam, that [is] beside Zaretan: and those that came down toward the sea of the plain, [even] the salt sea, failed , [and] were cut off : and the people passed over right against Jericho.
  • 1Ch 1:1 Adam, Sheth, Enosh,
  • Job 31:33 If I covered my transgressions as Adam, by hiding mine iniquity in my bosom:

It means Adam, the first man, the parent of the whole human family. Both in the Hebrew form and the New Testament equivalent it means Adam, is pronounced Adam. It is not really translated into the English, it's transliterated, which means it's pronounced about the same way and means the same thing.

Hope it helps to have the reference material and verses it is used in early in the thread.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thoughts?

Adam in Greek certainly referred back to the individual called Adam in Hebrew, and didn't have the range of meanings the Hebrew word had, but I don't think that is all that important. What Paul writes about Adam in the Greek text of his epistles is going to depend on how he interpreted Adam in the Hebrew text of Genesis.

We can see Paul drawing out the Hebrew meaning when he quotes Genesis 2:7.
1Cor 15:45 Thus it is written,
"The first man Adam became a living being"

εγενετο ο πρωτος ανθρωπος αδαμ εις ψυχην ζωσαν
It isn't a direct quote Paul has thrown in the word 'first' πρωτος but look what else he has added. Here is the LXX text.
και εγενετο ο ανθρωπος εις ψυχην ζωσαν
Gen 2:7 and the man became a living soul
The LXX only has ανθρωπος man. Paul's version of Gen 2:7 has both αδαμ, the name Adam, and ανθρωπος the meaning of the Hebrew adam, man.

This isn't just throwing the name Adam into the LXX quote for clarity.
If you read the passage, when Paul was comparing Adam and Christ, he used both the name Adam:
1Co 15:45 Thus it is written, "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
and the meaning of Adam's name in the Hebrew, man:
1Co 15:47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What Paul writes about Adam in the Greek text of his epistles is going to depend on how he interpreted Adam in the Hebrew text of Genesis.

I can help you with that, Adam G76 is interpreted as Adam, the first parent of humanity. The origin of the word is the Hebrew word Adam H121, interpreted Adam, the first parent of humanity. Used 18 times in 16 verses, it means Adam, first parent of humanity except in Jos 3:16 where it's the name of a town.

Hope that helps. If you need another typos reference from the Lexicon you need only ask, that's why I'm here, I like to help people.

Upvote 0
P

Philis

Yes Mark it is helpful to have that reference. However you missed H120 so I will add that here for reference as well.

Strong's H120 - 'adam
1) man, mankind
a) man, human being
b) man, mankind (much more frequently intended sense in OT)
c) Adam, first man
d) city in Jordan valley

For a list of verses it is contained in please see: Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon (You'll notice it is used quite often in the creation account).

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes Mark it is helpful to have that reference. However you missed H120 so I will add that here for reference as well.

Strong's H120 - 'adam
1) man, mankind
a) man, human being
b) man, mankind (much more frequently intended sense in OT)
c) Adam, first man
d) city in Jordan valley

For a list of verses it is contained in please see: Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon (You'll notice it is used quite often in the creation account).

Very true, but Strong's claims the New Testament word's Hebrew origin is אָדָם (H121).

Strong's H120 - 'adam אָדָם

Translated in the KJV authorized version:

• man 408 times,
  • men 121 times,
  • Adam 13 times,
  • person(s) 9 times,
  • hypocrite 1 time

This is in the Blue Letter Bible as a reference. Do note that all of the races of 'man' are descended from Adam which is probably why a form of it became synonymous with man.:

image.cfm

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What does the "red" mean? Is it the color red?

If so, why? Was Adam red?

That's actually a good question, did a google search and found this:

We are all familiar with the name "Adam" as found in the book of Genesis, but what does it really mean? Let us begin by looking at its roots. This word/name is a child root derived from the parent דם meaning, "blood". By placing the letter א in front of the parent root, the child root אדם is formed and is related in meaning to דם (blood).

By examing a few other words derived from the child root אדם we can see a common meaning in them all. The Hebrew word אדמה (adamah) is the feminine form of אדם meaning "ground" (see Genesis 2:7). The word/name אדום (Edom) means "red". Each of these words have the common meaning of "red". Dam is the "red" blood, adamah is the "red" ground, edom is the color "red" and adam is the "red" man. There is one other connection between "adam" and "adamah" as seen in Genesis 2:7 which states that "the adam" was formed out of the "adamah".

In the ancient Hebrew world, a person’s name was not simply an identifier but descriptive of one's character. As Adam was formed out of the ground, his name identifies his origins.
Name of the Month - Adam By: Jeff A. Benner

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And just to be thorough the root for H121 is "The same as אָדָם (H120)"

Apparently they are both derived from this one, as the previous post indicates, Adam literally means 'red'

Strong's H119 - 'adam אָדַם
1) to be red, red

a) (Qal) ruddy (of Nazarites)
b) (Pual)
1) to be rubbed red
2) dyed red
3) reddened​
c) (Hiphil)
1) to cause to show red
2) to glare
3) to emit (show) redness​
d) (Hithpael)
1) to redden
2) to grow red
3) to look red​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg1234

In the beginning was El
May 14, 2010
✟11,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1Co 15:47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven.

Jesus was also composed of flesh and blood and was of the earth. Paul was highlighting the main influence and mission of each person. Just like he didn't have to give Christ's earthly nature when describing the role of same, he didn't have to give Adam's spiritual nature when highlighting Adam's role.

Both cases are essentially about Creationism and its role. That is, the movement of life towards the spirit and away from matter, or into matter and away from the spirit. These are changes well underway with milestones (see 1 Cor 15:51) and form the fabric of religion.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus was also composed of flesh and blood and was of the earth. Paul was highlighting the main influence and mission of each person. Just like he didn't have to give Christ's earthly nature when describing the role of same, he didn't have to give Adam's spiritual nature when highlighting Adam's role.

Both cases are essentially about Creationism and its role. That is, the movement of life towards the spirit and away from matter, or into matter and away from the spirit. These are changes well underway with milestones (see 1 Cor 15:51) and form the fabric of religion.

I am curious even though I think I know the answer. In Romans 5 Paul discusses Adam's sin and it's effect on humanity. Do you believe his argument is that all of humanity is sinful because of the sin of Adam and Eve? I'm not trying to be asinine here, it seems crystal clear to me and I sometimes wonder if other Creationists are aware of this as a doctrinal issue.

Upvote 0

Greg1234

In the beginning was El
May 14, 2010
✟11,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am curious even though I think I know the answer. In Romans 5 Paul discusses Adam's sin and it's effect on humanity. Do you believe his argument is that all of humanity is sinful because of the sin of Adam and Eve?

Yes, I believe so.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That's actually a good question, did a google search and found this:

We are all familiar with the name "Adam" as found in the book of Genesis, but what does it really mean? Let us begin by looking at its roots. This word/name is a child root derived from the parent דם meaning, "blood". By placing the letter א in front of the parent root, the child root אדם is formed and is related in meaning to דם (blood).

By examing a few other words derived from the child root אדם we can see a common meaning in them all. The Hebrew word אדמה (adamah) is the feminine form of אדם meaning "ground" (see Genesis 2:7). The word/name אדום (Edom) means "red". Each of these words have the common meaning of "red". Dam is the "red" blood, adamah is the "red" ground, edom is the color "red" and adam is the "red" man. There is one other connection between "adam" and "adamah" as seen in Genesis 2:7 which states that "the adam" was formed out of the "adamah".

In the ancient Hebrew world, a person’s name was not simply an identifier but descriptive of one's character. As Adam was formed out of the ground, his name identifies his origins.
Name of the Month - Adam By: Jeff A. Benner

Thanks. Now we may think that Adam was made of red clay. Geologically, it does mean something. We could not have red clay without having water, oxygen and iron. The earth had a lot of water and oxygen way before the Noah's Flood.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very true, but Strong's claims the New Testament word's Hebrew origin is אָדָם (H121).

Strong's H120 - 'adam אָדָם

Translated in the KJV authorized version:

• man 408 times,
  • men 121 times,
  • Adam 13 times,
  • person(s) 9 times,
  • hypocrite 1 time
This is in the Blue Letter Bible as a reference. Do note that all of the races of 'man' are descended from Adam
If you notice in the Blue Letter Bible, the reference to all the race of men being descended from Adam is in square brackets.
[“The Arabs distinguish two races of men: one red, ruddy, which we call white, the other black.” Gesen. add. But both these races are sprung from Adam]
Gesenius wrote the Lexicon in Latin. What Blue Letter Bible have is the 1857 translation into English by Samuel P. Tregelles which is based on the Latin Lexicon with additions from Gesenius's Latin Thesaurus. Inside the square brackets, the part in quotations about the two races of men is from the Thesaurus hence the 'Gesen. add.'. The part that isn't in quotation marks is Tregelle's own addition to the lexicon.

If you want to check a translation of the Lexicon and Thesaurus that doesn't have these comments added in there is Edward Robinson's 1865 translation which formed the basis of the Brown Driver Briggs Lexicon. You can find here:

A Hebrew and English lexicon of the Old Testament, including the Biblical Chaldee. From the Latin of William Gesenius ..

The section on Adam is on page 14.

Even if it was Gesenius who said that, it isn't the role of Lexicon to give us lexicographer's own theological views or how he understand the terms outside of what it says in the text.

which is probably why a form of it became synonymous with man.:
That has to be pretty speculative, of course all the etymologies are. We simply don't know. However from Genesis 1:27 and 5:2 male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created, it was male and female people, whom God named Adam. If the individual was called Adam it is because it was God's name for people, the human race.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does the "red" mean? Is it the color red?

If so, why? Was Adam red?
Europeans call themselves white, though only albinos qualify. In the Middle East people's colour is nearer to the red earth colour the Hebrew bible calls adamah. Hence the story of God making Adam from the adamah.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Europeans call themselves white, though only albinos qualify. In the Middle East people's colour is nearer to the red earth colour the Hebrew bible calls adamah. Hence the story of God making Adam from the adamah.

Fine. Adam was red. Eve might not be (the bone of Adam shouldn't be red). That is interesting.

Could I say that Adam was red because of his name?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you notice in the Blue Letter Bible, the reference to all the race of men being descended from Adam is in square brackets.
[“The Arabs distinguish two races of men: one red, ruddy, which we call white, the other black.” Gesen. add. But both these races are sprung from Adam]
Gesenius wrote the Lexicon in Latin. What Blue Letter Bible have is the 1857 translation into English by Samuel P. Tregelles which is based on the Latin Lexicon with additions from Gesenius's Latin Thesaurus. Inside the square brackets, the part in quotations about the two races of men is from the Thesaurus hence the 'Gesen. add.'. The part that isn't in quotation marks is Tregelle's own addition to the lexicon.

If you want to check a translation of the Lexicon and Thesaurus that doesn't have these comments added in there is Edward Robinson's 1865 translation which formed the basis of the Brown Driver Briggs Lexicon. You can find here:

A Hebrew and English lexicon of the Old Testament, including the Biblical Chaldee. From the Latin of William Gesenius ..

The section on Adam is on page 14.

Even if it was Gesenius who said that, it isn't the role of Lexicon to give us lexicographer's own theological views or how he understand the terms outside of what it says in the text.

That has to be pretty speculative, of course all the etymologies are. We simply don't know. However from Genesis 1:27 and 5:2 male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created, it was male and female people, whom God named Adam. If the individual was called Adam it is because it was God's name for people, the human race.

Wives still take their husbands name, none so blind...

No, that's your job, it probably never occurred to you that a standard exists apart from you private interpretation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Fine. Adam was red. Eve might not be (the bone of Adam shouldn't be red). That is interesting.

Could I say that Adam was red because of his name?

I'm taking an art class, I have discovered that all people are orange. I expect it wasn't a deep dark or a pale white. The name for Eve means 'mother' if memory serves because she was our first parent as well.

Upvote 0