Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The parish priest told the class, with all the authority of a papal decree, that in the creation account in Genesis, including the first human couple, was a myth. It was enough to raise not a few eyebrows, mine and my wife's included.

As a murmur began to build among the stunned attendees, a passage from C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters came to mind- the one where the title demon writes glowingly of a pastor "who has been so long engaged in watering down the faith to make it easier for [a] supposedly incredulous and hard-headed congregation that it is now he who shocks his parishioners with his unbelief, not vice versa."

Continued below.
https://www.crisismagazine.com/2018/adam-and-eve-are-myth-really

Reactions: Brian Mcnamee

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The parish priest told the class, with all the authority of a papal decree, that in the creation account in Genesis, including the first human couple, was a myth. It was enough to raise not a few eyebrows, mine and my wife's included.

As a murmur began to build among the stunned attendees, a passage from C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters came to mind- the one where the title demon writes glowingly of a pastor "who has been so long engaged in watering down the faith to make it easier for [a] supposedly incredulous and hard-headed congregation that it is now he who shocks his parishioners with his unbelief, not vice versa."

Continued below.
https://www.crisismagazine.com/2018/adam-and-eve-are-myth-really

My goodness, did he provide a reason?

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Science disagrees with this priest. Science believes in a 'Mitochondrial (mother of us all) Eve'.

Mitochondrial Eve

In 1987, A world wide survey of human mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) was published by Cann, Stoneking, and Wilson in Nature magazine. Its main point was that "all mitochondrial DNAs stem from one woman" and that she probably lived around 200,000 years ago in Africa. When the media picked up from Wilson, one of the authors of the paper, that they had found the "Mitochondrial Eve" or "African Eve", the story became a sensation. Have scientists found "the mother of us all"?

quoted from: The Mitochondrial Eve: Have Scientists Found the Mother of Us All? MHRC

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Many on this very on this forum believe Adam and Eve a lie

Luke 18:8 Revised Standard Version (RSV)

8 I tell you, he will vindicate them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of man comes, will he find faith on earth?”

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
We should always interpret scripture according to the four way model of exegesis.
The literal, the allegorical, the moral and the anagonical. This applies to genesis aswell as the other books of our canon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
There has been made synopsis of those four readings of the bible and genesis in the past which is quite enriching.
The fallpit of choosing one of them, say the allegorical and leave the rest is one we all face in our desire to make things more clear cut, but its reductive and unfair to the richness of the biblical material and the intentions of the biblical authors.

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Albert Einstein once commented, “I would like to think the moon was there even when I wasn't looking at it!” Einstein wanted to believe that all this scientific data he was compiling actually had some meaning. Einstein was a bit scared when the double slit experiment came out. Scientists were confused as to why electrons were not hitting the target as they calculated they would, so they put a camera in place to observe what was going on. Once the camera, in other words, man, was observing the electrons, only then did the electrons act as scientists calculated they would.

Science does not know if there was any universe before conscious man, Adam, opened his eyes to look at it. The double slit experiment would indicate that there was nothing, without conscious man to observe it. We know, from God, that there was a universe at least five days, before man was created to look at it.

All these ‘scientists’ who think they have outsmarted God, had better reconsider and take a look at how the actions of, electrons, protons and neutrons, which are the quantum level building blocks of everything in the universe, are really not on the job, forming everything in the universe, if conscious man is not there to observe them.

The Strange Link between the Human Mind and Quantum Physics.

When this "observer effect" was first noticed by the early pioneers of quantum theory, they were deeply troubled. It seemed to undermine the basic assumption behind all science: that there is an objective world out there, irrespective of us. If the way the world behaves depends on how – or if – we look at it, what can "reality" really mean?

The most famous intrusion of the mind into quantum mechanics comes in the "double-slit experiment"

Some of those researchers felt forced to conclude that objectivity was an illusion, and that consciousness has to be allowed an active role in quantum theory. To others, that did not make sense. Surely, Albert Einstein once complained, the Moon does not exist only when we look at it!

Quoted from: The strange link between the human mind and quantum physics

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status