Sep 19, 2004
Spring TX formerly Beijing, China
Visit site
✟16,783.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have had the amazing experience lately of having two people totally screw up what an argumentum ad hominem was. I decided that I would draw from my philosophy grad school days and give a short lecture on what an ad hominem is and what it isn't. The issue came out of my now regretable agreement to be a moderator in that amateurishly run debate about YEC being taught in Texas schools. One of the discussions around ad hominems has come about from a discussion about the nature of Ramsey's statements. So, what exactly IS an ad hominem?

First off, it isn't when someone insults you. That is called an insult. Calling me a bad-breath, rear-licking dog, is not an ad hominem, it is an insult (and a pretty good one at that.)

In another thread I asked a guy if he had ever taken a philosophy course. He replied "ad hominem". But that isn't an ad hominem either. It is called a question. Questions are usually part of a conversation which human beings have. They are not novel nor are they a logical fallacy because no suggestion of the truth or falsity of some proposition has been alleged. If someone said to me "You can't know anything about logic because you are a physicist," that is an ad hominem. But if they then ask, "have you ever had a philosophy course, that is not an ad hominem, as pointed out above, it is a question. When we think questions are ad homs, we have major problems with argumentation on this board.

And a question like, "have you ever taken a philosophy course?" is not even an appeal to authority, unless I were then to say "I am right because I have taken a philosophy course", but that is a logical fallacy for another day.

There are two forms of ad hominems:

The abusive form:

“it is committed when, instead of trying to disprove the truth of what is asserted, one attacks the man who made the assertion. Thus it may be argued that Bacon’s philosophy is untrustworthy because he was removed from his chancellorship for dishonesty. This argument is fallacious, because the personal character of a man is logically irrelevant to the truth or falsehood of what he says or the correctness or incorrectness of his argument. To argue that proposals are bad or assertions false because they are proposed or asserted by Communists( or by Hippies or by doves or by hawks, or by extremists) is to argue fallaciously and to be guilty of committing an argumentum ad hominem (abusive).” Irving Copi, Introduction to Logic, (New York: MacMillan, 1972), p. 74-75

Now, I want to be sure that the distinction is clear. The fallacy is when you say that what the man says can't be true because he is a YEC or it can't be true because he is an evolutionist. Specifically, it is not merely an insult. It is the tying of the truth or falsity of the statement to the character or club membership of the speaker. If I say, it is well known that all bad-breath-rear-licking dogs never speak the truth, this is an ad hominem.

The second form is the circumstantial ad hominem. This is one I have had said of me several times by YECs. They say I believe what I do to keep my job (tying the truth or falsity of my statements to my need to eat)

"The other interpretation of the fallacy of argumentum ad hominem, the 'circumstatiial' variety, pertains to the relationship between a person's beliefs and his circumstances. Where two men are disputing, one may ignore the question of whether his own contention is true or false and seek instead to prove that his opponent ought to accept it because of his opponent's special circumstances. This if one's adversary is a clergyman, one may argue that a certain contention must be accepted because its denial is incompatible with the Scripture. This is not to prove it true, but to urge its acceptance by by by that particular individual because of his special circumstances, in this case his religious affiliation. Or, if one's opponent is, say, a Republican, one may assent to it because it is implied by the tenets of his party. The classical example of this fallacy is the reply of the hunter when accused of barbarism in sacrificing unoffending animals to his own amusement. His reply is to ask his critic, 'Why do you feed on the flesh of harmless cattle?" The sportsman here is guilty of an argumentum ad hominem because he does not try ot prove that it is right to sacrifice animal life for human pleasure, but merely that it cannot consistently be decried by his critic because of the critic's own special circumstances, in this case his not being a vegetarian." Irving Copi, Introduction to Logic, (New York: MacMillan, 1972), p. 75-76

Now, the guy above who claimed I was making an argumentum ad hominem is not a yec, and I am sure fancies that he is quite knowledgeable. But the person who I discuss below, is also not a YEC and is insistent that the examples I will show you below (from the Nelson-Ramsey debate) are ad hominems. I can and have assured this person that they are NOT ad hominems because they do not tie the truth value of the claim to the special circumstances or the length of Aron-Ra's hair.

Now, before I post this, I want to make a statement. The person who claimed to me that the list below are ad hominems has also claimed that if I say anything nice about what Ramsey did in the debate, that therefore it must be evidence that I want RAmsey's science taught in TExas Schools. I don't. I think his science stinks to high heaven). But I say this, so that I can avoid having this indivudal try to smear me again with scurilous charges that I am in favor of YEC being taught. This person fancies themselves an intellectual but they simply have lost it when it comes to what an ad hom is. I have suspected that their definition of ad hom is anything that they don't like being said, which is a prejudice not an ad hominem.

Here is the list of Ramsey's supposed ad hominems

A. True to my suspicions before even agreeing to this debate, my
opponent
largely ignored the topic at hand. This topic is specific and should be
adhered to. While Nelson (a.k.a. his self-chosen moniker "Aron-Ra") may
think otherwise,

THis statement no where ties the truth or falsity of Nelson's claims to Nelson's character, hair length, religion, or special circumstances. It looks to me like it is a statement of disagreement (to the anonymous person who thinks saying something like this means I want YEC taught, this simply isn't so. ).

B. Aliens? Really! Where is "all the evidence" for this nonsense? Is
this
the beginning of "21st Century Just So Stories" by the Aron-Ra?

These are called questions. There is no reference to Aron-Ra's religion, hippie like hair, or any other trait. Nor does the statement say that Aron Ra beleives something because he has dark glasses and all dark glass-wearing people are known liars. (To the anonymous person: I didn't call Aron Ra a liar there--the person has a reading comprehension problem).

C. He should clarify whether or not he believes in abiogenesis, (or
spontaneous generation of life), and since Francisco Redi, Louis Pasteur,
and others disproved it over a century ago, why?

How on earth this could be called an ad hominem is way beyond me except by a pseudo-intellectual who has not had the work ethic to actually look up what ad hominem means.

D. Concocted possible explanations are not the same thing as empirical
proof.

When I pointed out that this is a statement all should agree with, I was asked if I thought Nelson's explanations were concocted. I was surprised by that. Frankly, I absolutely agree that concocted explanations are not the same thing as empirical proof. And I am proud of that

To the anonymous person: this does not mean I am calling Nelson's explanations concocted. In point of fact, I actually believe Mr. Ramsey's explanations are concocted, but, Mr. Ramsey, like everyone is entitled to have his statements evaluated for their truth value NOT upon what he believes (which is what you are doing and that IS an ad hominem) but upon whether or not the statement is actually true.

E. Having an evolutionist state that it might be possible to have a
transition no more proves it than Rudyard Kipling proved how the elephant got its trunk in his "Just So" stories. We should be honest and teach weaknesses of evolution.

Once again, there is no tie to Nelson's character, flawed or otherwise (no, anonymous person, I didn't say Nelson was a flawed character although, like me, he may have flaws). This is NOT an argumentum ad hominem.
Now, I want to make clear that I do not beleive that the things I saw presented as weaknesses for evolution are actual weaknesses. I need to say this or the person will somehow tell me I like YEC.

F. Students, including Nelson, should be taught the difference.

Once again, where is the tie to Nelson's character or circumstances? THere is none. I presume Nelson is a student, either in school, or like me a perpetually out of school student, and thus, calling Nelson a student which this statement implicitly does is not a bad thing. The ad hominem would be to claim that Nelson is wrong BECAUSE he is a student. But saying Nelson should be taught something is a good thing. We all have much to learn and one should try at every step.
(To the anonymous person, this does NOT mean that I want YEC taught in the schools, but I am sure you will interpret it that way).

And to the anonymous person, I see you just sent another one of your mis-communications called emails. If you want to identify yourself here do so, but I am through with private communication because everytime I say something you accuse me of something I didn't say.

By saying this I want to make sure that it is clear that it doesn't mean, as this person has suggested that I am helping Ramsey although I would like to help him out of his YEC views. And why exactly am I supposed not to try to help someone? One can't help a YEC out of his views by calling him names and being mean to him. Bob Schadewald an atheist was very instrumental in getting me to change my views from YEC to TE. He was NICE to me. I listened, but he still told me I believed ****, but I LISTENED. Something which won't result from being mean and nasty to them.

I presented this to show that it isn't only the YECs who get a bit out of line (I know, that is heresy, certainly no evolutionist could ever do that, but in this case I think it is so). Zeal for changing the YECs should not cloud rational judgment and should not mean we call things what they aren't. We should strive to be more careful and demanding of the facts than our opponents. And when wrong

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think what they thought was implied by asking "have you ever taken a philosophy course?" was "You don't know anything about philosophy, so you are stupid." I assume they figured this was an attack on their character rather than the argument, making it an ad hominem.

Upvote 0

Edx

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2005
✟5,474.00
Faith
Atheist
grmorton said:

B. Aliens? Really! Where is "all the evidence" for this nonsense? Is
this
the beginning of "21st Century Just So Stories" by the Aron-Ra?

These are called questions. There is no reference to Aron-Ra's religion, hippie like hair, or any other trait. Nor does the statement say that Aron Ra beleives something because he has dark glasses and all dark glass-wearing people are known liars. (To the anonymous person: I didn't call Aron Ra a liar there--the person has a reading comprehension problem).

I dont agree with this one.

Ramsey totally misrepresented what Aron was saying so he could pretend he believed aliens seeded the planets or some other similar foolishness and calling that idea Arons "Just So story". He totally ignored his point, so he could try and make Aron out to be some nut. Definitley an adhominem.

The rest were misrepresentations. Equally bad, yet not adhominems I agree.

Ed

Upvote 0

grmorton

Sep 19, 2004
Visit site
✟16,783.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Edx said:
I dont agree with this one.

Ramsey totally misrepresented what Aron was saying so he could pretend he believed aliens seeded the planets or some other similar foolishness and calling that idea Arons "Just So story". He totally ignored his point, so he could try and make Aron out to be some nut. Definitley an adhominem.

The rest were misrepresentations. Equally bad, yet not adhominems I agree.

Ed

Listen, a total misrepresentation is NOT an ad hom. It may be very bad, it may be dishonest, but call it what it is and don't try to call it an ad hominem when that is a very specific type of logical fallacy. CAll it a misrepresentation. Call it a lie, but don't call it something it isn't and appear ignorant. To call things which are not ad homs, ad homs, is to betray one's lack of education in the relevant field.

To make things up as one goes along is what YECs do. To change definitions when one wants to say something bad about another person is what YECs do. Cease being Yec-like here.

Lucretius said:
I think what they thought was implied by asking "have you ever taken a philosophy course?" was "You don't know anything about philosophy, so you are stupid." I assume they figured this was an attack on their character rather than the argument, making it an ad hominem

Now, how the guy interpreted my question does not make it an ad hominem. That is his problem. I was trying to see what level I needed to point my messages to. If I had said, (which I never even got the chance to) that he couldn't be correct because he hadn't had a philosophy course, that would be an ad hom. But you know, if someone asked me if I had ever had a geology course, I would say no. But, companies have placed millions of dollars into my hands because they know I know geology. Not having taken a course does not make one an idiot. But then his reaction doesn't turn it into an ad hominem.

I guess I just hate it when people, trying to sound all so sophisticated, use philosophical terms wrongly, thus displaying their ignorance. And when corrected, they claim that I like YECism. The irony is that they then have the audacity to claim that YECs are ignorant and uncorrectable.

Interesting question, is it an ad hominem to ask to see a doctor's diploma before you let him operate on you? Is it an ad hominem to ask me to show my diploma before I operate on you?

Upvote 0

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
grmorton said:
Interesting question, is it an ad hominem to ask to see a doctor's diploma before you let him operate on you? Is it an ad hominem to ask me to show my diploma before I operate on you?

I believe what made the person interpret your question as an ad hominem was the way in which it was presented. If you ask a doctor to see his diploma before he operate on you, I doubt you are going to do it in the same way you asked the person if he had taken a philosophy course. By asking about the diploma, you sound sincere, as if you simply want verification. When you asked about the philosophy course, it sounded like you already thought "No, you haven't, and now I'm going to make you look stupid by making you admit to it aloud." People make these kinds of connections, and it sounds to them like you are being cocky and attacking their character.

To answer your question, it has to do with the manner in which you present it.

Upvote 0

Lord Emsworth

Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves.
Oct 10, 2004
Through the cables and the underground ...
✟61,459.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
grmorton said:
In another thread I asked a guy if he had ever taken a philosophy course. He replied "ad hominem". But that isn't an ad hominem either. It is called a question. Questions are usually part of a conversation which human beings have. They are not novel nor are they a logical fallacy because no suggestion of the truth or falsity of some proposition has been alleged. If someone said to me "You can't know anything about logic because you are a physicist," that is an ad hominem. But if they then ask, "have you ever had a philosophy course, that is not an ad hominem, as pointed out above, it is a question. When we think questions are ad homs, we have major problems with argumentation on this board.

Don't forget about rhetorical questions.

A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question posed for rhetorical effect rather than for the purpose of getting an answer ("How many times do I have to tell you to stop walking into the house with mud on your shoes?").

A rhetorical question seeks to encourage reflection within the listener as to what the answer to the question (at least, the answer implied by the questioner) must be. When a speaker declaims, "How much longer must our people endure this injustice?" or "Will our company grow or shrink?", no formal answer is expected. Rather, it is a device used by the speaker to assert or deny something. [link]​

I did not read the thread in question, but form my limited perspective here your question could easily have been rhetorical in nature and hence an ad hominem.

Upvote 0

grmorton

Sep 19, 2004
Visit site
✟16,783.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lucretius said:
I believe what made the person interpret your question as an ad hominem was the way in which it was presented. If you ask a doctor to see his diploma before he operate on you, I doubt you are going to do it in the same way you asked the person if he had taken a philosophy course. By asking about the diploma, you sound sincere, as if you simply want verification. When you asked about the philosophy course, it sounded like you already thought "No, you haven't, and now I'm going to make you look stupid by making you admit to it aloud." People make these kinds of connections, and it sounds to them like you are being cocky and attacking their character.

To answer your question, it has to do with the manner in which you present it.

Actually, asking for diplomas may very well be an ad hominem, in my opinion. It is an ad hominem I WILL engage in. It is saying that just because you have no degree, I am not going to think you know what you are doing. That is tying your statements or judgements to a degree.

Tone of voice, the way one asks do not necessarily turn something into an ad hominem. It is the tying of one's qualifications to the truth of a specific proposition. If I could get this one thing across I would be happy. Asking a question may make a person defensive, but logically, by definition, it isn't an ad hom.

And, I would say it is the honest thing to do to tell everyone his qualifications. I earn my living as a geoscientist, dealing in geology, managing geologists, directing geological work, judging geological work. But I have never had a geology course in college. I learned it all on the job. This is why asking if one has had a geology course, or a philosophy course is not an ad hom. If it were, it would be an ad hom to ask me if I had had a geology course, but it isn't. Telling me I don't know geology because I have never had a geology course would be an ad hom

Upvote 0

AnEmpiricalAgnostic

Agnostic by Fact, Atheist by Epiphany
May 25, 2005
South Florida
Visit site
✟18,986.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Herein lies the rub. Although it appears that you are correct in your assertions by technicality, you are still wrong nonetheless. In the course of debating another person about whether the earth is flat you can reply:

You think the earth is flat? Are you stupid? Have you made it past second grade? Are you mentally defective?

Although this will not be an ad hominem by definition it is certainly an “implied” ad hominem and is equally as despicable.

Upvote 0

Hungry Hungry Hippo

Bane of Marbles
Apr 23, 2005
I am the monster that crawl around in your vents a
✟1,770.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
Let me get this straight, is this a good example of an ad hominem?

Me: Paleontological findings suggest that rock layers most likely represent long periods of time.

Kool Kaptain Kreashionizm: NO FATHEAD, YOU SUCK!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lord Emsworth

Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves.
Oct 10, 2004
Through the cables and the underground ...
✟61,459.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hungry Hungry Hippo said:

Me: Paleontological findings suggest that rock layers most likely represent long periods of time.

No, and weren't you such a Hungry Hungry Hippo you'd mostly likely realize it.

;)

Upvote 0

grmorton

Sep 19, 2004
Visit site
✟16,783.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
AnEmpiricalAgnostic said:
Herein lies the rub. Although it appears that you are correct in your assertions by technicality, you are still wrong nonetheless.

I just love the logic above. You are right but you are wrong. Wonderful.

In the course of debating another person about whether the earth is flat you can reply:
You think the earth is flat? Are you stupid? Have you made it past second grade? Are you mentally defective?

Although this will not be an ad hominem by definition it is certainly an “implied” ad hominem and is equally as despicable.

In the above, you ARE tying this to their qualifications--second grade, their characteristics--mental states, so it is an ad hominem. You are implicitly saying that anyone who says the earth is flat is a second grader, or stupid. None of this actually addresses the truth or falsity of the proposition that the earth is flat. Thus, you are wrong. To avoid discussing the logical evidence for and against a flat earth and go straight to the stupidity of a person is an ad hominem. I don't think you have mastered the topic yet. (that isn't an ad hominem, it is an observation).

Upvote 0

grmorton

Sep 19, 2004
Visit site
✟16,783.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lord Emsworth said:
Don't forget about rhetorical questions.

A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question posed for rhetorical effect rather than for the purpose of getting an answer ("How many times do I have to tell you to stop walking into the house with mud on your shoes?").

A rhetorical question seeks to encourage reflection within the listener as to what the answer to the question (at least, the answer implied by the questioner) must be. When a speaker declaims, "How much longer must our people endure this injustice?" or "Will our company grow or shrink?", no formal answer is expected. Rather, it is a device used by the speaker to assert or deny something. [link]

I did not read the thread in question, but form my limited perspective here your question could easily have been rhetorical in nature and hence an ad hominem.

I will grant that it could have been a rhetorical question, but, in the case above, it actually was a question. Logical fallacies, however, do not depend upon the intention of the user, but upon facts--did I tie the users qualifications to the truth or falsity of a specific statement.

Upvote 0

grmorton

Sep 19, 2004
Visit site
✟16,783.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Actually, I think that is an insult. A funny insult, but not an ad hominem. He didn't tie your fat head and your suckiness in general to the truth of your statement. Now, it could be an ad hominem if he claims you are wrong BECAUSE you are a FATHEAD AND SUCK. But it isn't entirely clear that that was the author's meaning. :)

Upvote 0

Hungry Hungry Hippo

Bane of Marbles
Apr 23, 2005
I am the monster that crawl around in your vents a
✟1,770.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
Okay, now I get it.

Colonel Cool (me): Christianity and science are not opposed to one another.

Krazy Kaptain Kreeshunizm: YOU'RE WRONG BECAUSE YOU'RE A WORTHLESS PILE OF MAGGOT PUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LEWZER!!!!! SCIENCE BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AnEmpiricalAgnostic

Agnostic by Fact, Atheist by Epiphany
May 25, 2005
South Florida
Visit site
✟18,986.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
grmorton said:
In the above, you ARE tying this to their qualifications--second grade, their characteristics--mental states, so it is an ad hominem. You are implicitly saying that anyone who says the earth is flat is a second grader, or stupid. None of this actually addresses the truth or falsity of the proposition that the earth is flat.

It seems we are splitting some mighty fine hairs here. In the case of your first example, how is it that you can ask someone if they had ever taken a philosophy course during a philosophical debate and not be implicitly tying it to their qualifications? And how does the question address the actual philosophical proposition?

Upvote 0

mikeynov

Senior Veteran
Aug 28, 2004
✟2,746.00
Faith
Atheist
ad hom i·nem adv.
Usage Note: As the principal meaning of the preposition ad suggests, the homo of ad hominem was originally the person to whom an argument was addressed, not its subject. The phrase denoted an argument designed to appeal to the listener's emotions rather than to reason, as in the sentence The Republicans' evocation of pity for the small farmer struggling to maintain his property is a purely ad hominem argument for reducing inheritance taxes. This usage appears to be waning; only 37 percent of the Usage Panel finds this sentence acceptable. The phrase now chiefly describes an argument based on the failings of an adversary rather than on the merits of the case: Ad hominem attacks on one's opponent are a tried-and-true strategy for people who have a case that is weak. Ninety percent of the Panel finds this sentence acceptable. The expression now also has a looser use in referring to any personal attack, whether or not it is part of an argument, as in It isn't in the best interests of the nation for the press to attack him in this personal, ad hominem way. This use is acceptable to 65 percent of the Panel. ·Ad hominem has also recently acquired a use as a noun denoting personal attacks, as in “Notwithstanding all the ad hominem, Gingrich insists that he and Panetta can work together” (Washington Post). This usage may raise some eyebrows, though it appears to be gaining ground in journalistic style. ·A modern coinage patterned on ad hominem is ad feminam, as in “Its treatment of Nabokov and its ad feminam attack on his wife Vera often border on character assassination” (Simon Karlinsky). Though some would argue that this neologism is unnecessary because the Latin word homo refers to humans generically, rather than to the male sex, in some contexts ad feminam has a more specific meaning than ad hominem, being used to describe attacks on women as women or because they are women, as in “Their recourse... to ad feminam attacks evidences the chilly climate for women's leadership on campus” (Donna M. Riley).

Note: I'm not making an argument for or against anything, but it's worth noting that the defininition of "ad hominem" is a bit in flux, and I've seen exactly this sort of thing discussed elsewhere.

Classically, ad hominems are a logical fallacy that occur within very specific contexts. However, the actual usage of the term has shifted to give it an "effective" definition that is broader.

Not sure what the "right" answer is - on one hand, I like to see definitions reflect their intended meaning. This becomes increasingly important in areas like science when key terms need to have a fairly static definition in order for effective communication to occur.

To some extent, I could see that applying to philosophy as well, though definitions HAVE been known to change via colloquial usage (as it is usually acceptable to deem an agnostic as "any person who doubts the existence of god," for example).

But there you have it - the change to the meaning of ad hominem itself is a broad trend that has been happening for some time. It's fine and well to correct people on what it's supposed to mean, but the nature of language itself carries some innate arbitrarity, and terms do shift with usage, as is the case for "ad hominem."

Upvote 0

Randall McNally

Secrecy and accountability cannot coexist.
Oct 27, 2004
✟3,822.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Okay, now I get it.

Colonel Cool (me): Christianity and science are not opposed to one another.

Krazy Kaptain Kreeshunizm: YOU'RE WRONG BECAUSE YOU'RE A WORTHLESS PILE OF MAGGOT PUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LEWZER!!!!! SCIENCE BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, sorta. Usually, an ad hom would reference something accurate, or at least plausible, about the person being attacked. In your example, KKK is indeed using the ad hom format - KKK is wrong because of some attribute that has not been shown causally related to his argument - but since CC is demonstrably not a pile of maggot puss, it is rather a lame criticism.

Better would be something like, "You're wrong because you drink decaf." While it may be true that CC drinks decaf, KKK has not shown that that fact is germane to CC's correctness.

Upvote 0