Jan 8, 2009
✟12,029.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I generally dislike weddings because they are tedious and impersonal. (Granted, the last 6 weddings I've gone to have been Catholic weddings). Today I went to a Lutheran one, and it was fantastic. Even better was the church was literally a half of a block away from my apartment, and I really liked the pastor. You could tell that she had taken time talking to the couple about their goals for the marriage and then was able to relate that back to their (and our as a group) relationship with God. I might check out this church on a Sunday sometime soon. I kind of gave up on churches in my town because I'd been to so many lousy ones. I liked our campus Lutheran church until the pastor changed. I just didn't like his style and approach to preaching...perhaps I was just too used to the previous guy. At a time where I was feeling somewhat distanced from the church because I haven't had a home church for so long, it was neat to have another option present itself.

SyntheticPaper

the best mono-thingie guy there ever was
Mar 30, 2011
✟20,331.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I hate weddings for the most part. They are always crowded and I never know most of the people. They are always hot and sunny for some reason. When my uncle and aunt got married it was a day of huge rain storms that ended up flooding the storm drains and causing a manhole cover to pop off and mess up my other uncles car wheel. We (my family, my grandparents and my other aunt and uncle and cousins, along with other random relatives) had driven down to Oregon for the wedding so we all ended up waiting for my uncle to get his car fixed so we could go back home. Anyway that day was incredibly dark and stormy, but yet the actual wedding itself, sunny and hot. Weddings are ALWAYS sunny and hot in the church. Oh and the bride always looks weird with huge amounts of curly hair piled on top of her head and wearing more make up than she will ever wear for the entire rest of her life. Seriously half the time I didn't even know who the bride was when I was a kid.

"Who is that lady up there??"
"That's your new aunt."
"Whaaa??"
"You have known her for months and months!"
"That's not what she looks like at all!"

Upvote 0

doulos_tou_kuriou

Located at the intersection of Forde and Giertz
Apr 26, 2006
MinneSO-TA. That's how they say it here, right?
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I hope you do try this church. I realize it is tough when going to constantly horrible churches, or hearing dull or gospelless sermons, but I think it is easier to let that become an excuse. I think in doing so we can undercut opportunities for God to work in our own faith. For instance our liturgy is established to preach the gospel itself and is built around the means of grace. Any church that has confession and absolution has a good sermon every Sunday found in those words. And even the worst preachers can sneak up on us and preach the gospel.
In another thread I posted this quote from Luther:
"Since, then, preachers have the office, name, and honor of being God's assistants, no man is so learned or holy that he may neglect or despise the poorest preaching; for he does not know when the hour will come in which God will perform His work in him through the preachers."
Indeed Luther's teaching on the 3rd commandment to remember the Sabbath was built around honoring, hearing, and learning God's word as often as it is offered. So I support you going to that church and hope that if it does not work out you continually seek churches to attend, even ones that strike not on the Sunday you attend (this is one of the essential flaws of church shopping that we can do in our world today)

But back to your point, weddings are a mess. People are not listening, they think it is all about love of the two, sin is an afterthought, so much is put into making it "the perfect day" that if it is not there is much despair or criticism and if it is there is oft a selfish aspect to it. As much of a celebration as it is, there is much that it has become which I do not enjoy. Although I will say that my own marriage changed the way I witness marriages. Sortof a "remember your baptism" it becomes a "remember your marriage" occasion, which can be good for the care of one's own covenant.

Upvote 0