Mar 5, 2003
Currently living in Bakersfield; ready to go where
Visit site
✟8,064.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was browsing the net today looking for accredited online bible schools. I notice that some of the schools like http://www.amesbible.org/ offer a very large part of the program for a very low fee. After you finish with the first part, there are 11 courses left to take to complete a Bachelor of Arts.

My question is this: Do I need to be wary of the accreditation of the school I'm looking at attending when it comes to using the degree in the real world? And once I obtain this degree, I'd like to further my schooling and get another degree. Do I need to find a nationally accredited school or something, or would this be fine?

I want to find an online degree program that I can use in the real world. I mean, this seems great - but is there something I'm missing? How come it's so cheap? Obviously, money is the key issue here for me, as it is for everyone.

Thanks!

handmaiden97

Veteran
Jun 7, 2005
Wyoming
Visit site
✟9,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I looked at the website and my first thought is cool, why am I paying so much to study by correspondece through the program Im taking......then I too wonder...what is the catch? Do the credits transfer or will no one recognize them, what text books are used? if any at that price!
If you figure it out let me know, I would be intrested to know if it is as good as it seems

Upvote 0

jones_of_pbf

Mine Own.
Oct 20, 2003
Sellersburg, Indiana
✟536.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Found this in their FAQ...
(Many good answers there, as opposed to FAQs from other sites.)
I think they may have many financial sponsors allowing for this type of schooling.
Ames Bible College Web said:
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1] WHY are the courses free? This is just too good to be true!![/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1] Thousands of students from around the world are deprived of a Bible College education due to lack of funds. Ames Bible College (ABC) was specifically designed to be a blessing to the Body of Christ and by placing sponsor ads on our site which generate a small percentage of funding and by keeping our expenses low, we have been able to provide free or low cost education. [/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1] Since we can not provide a free accredited program, we put together payment plans low enough that almost anyone can afford to work towards a (BBS / BA) Bachelor of Biblical Studies degree through ABC.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][FONT=Trebuchet MS,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]
What is the difference between the free and the low-cost accredited program?
In the free program, you will receive a .pdf certificate that you print yourself and this does not include a transcript or transferable credits.
In the accredited program, You pay a $20.00 per course administrative fee and all accredited students are required to post a brief weekly report of their study progress. Upon completion, we will mail you a printed certificate and transcript. The transcript will also be forwarded to Ames Christian University if you wish and you will have 87 credits towards the 120 credits needed for a Bachelors degree in Biblical Studies.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1] *Why would I pay full price at ACU with this program in effect?[/SIZE][/SIZE]​
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]We agree, why would you? All of the ACU students except for ABC graduates are enrolled for the most part in the BCA and MA programs as they are interested in areas not covered in the BBS program such as ACU's Liberal Arts concentrations. The BBS program is made up of all biblical studies whereas the other programs are Christian liberal arts and some professions require liberal arts courses. These students all pay full price for their courses. The ACU courses are $66.00 per credit hour with each course being valued at 3 credit hours. An ACU degree plan is comprised of 40 courses. If you take the ABC program you only take 11 concentration courses. For further information on pricing Click Here[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]​
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Upvote 0

bolo1122

May 7, 2006
✟15,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At rate now, many online bible schools have the same accreditation format as Community Colleges. Some accept and some dont. The attention should be dependant on the direction tat you want to go forward after. IF your looking to go to a college afterward, choose your college and seek advisory from the counselors as to what is considered for that school and from who.

I choose The Sure Foundation as my studies. HOwever my intentions is merely for the information adn depth of study needed to be well versed in the Word as I study and work in ministry myself. The degree is just a paper document for someone else to make credit for. Give me the word and let his people be fed.

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
bolo1122 said:
The attention should be dependant on the direction tat you want to go forward after. IF your looking to go to a college afterward, choose your college and seek advisory from the counselors as to what is considered for that school and from who.

Good point.. In addition, see if you can talk to some folks further down the career path in the direction you want to go. For some, DOE accreditation is pretty much an absolute, as some view schools without it as diploma mills (a few bad apples ruin it for others that are probably fine), and it won't get you very far. (In the secular education realm... some places make up very official sounding but rather bogus accreditation web sites, just to run their scam)

Dept of Education's website http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html?src=qc

I did a little digging, and every major reputable Christian school I could think of has DOE accreditation. That doesn't mean that those that don't have it are playing a fast one.... but that one should use care and prudence. Perhaps ask to talk with some alumni who have graduated 5 or 10 years ago who can present both the positives and the negatives of their alma mater's accreditation or non-accreditation and whether it made a difference or not.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
jones_of_pbf said:
Found this in their FAQ...
(Many good answers there, as opposed to FAQs from other sites.)
I think they may have many financial sponsors allowing for this type of schooling.

Importantly, is there accreditation from a regional accrediting agency. There are a number of bogus accrediting agencies.

Upvote 0

sistahblasian

Aug 16, 2010
✟7,611.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am a student at the college and will be transferring to Indiana Christian University who accepts 1/2 of the credits earned. For me, this is fine, as I am not going to go to a costly school for biblical studies. Also, considering that I am not looking for employment in a church setting, this way is beneficial, as well as feasible for me!

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Going to add- distance learning may work if your interest is theology. I would not advice it for anyone who intends to become a pastor. You cannot really learn how to shepherd real people if your not interacting with real people in real situations with oversight.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was taking classes through Liberty University online last year...but with them having a SBC background my beliefs didn't exactly match up...I'm Pentecostal and found Southeastern Christian University...which is in Florida, and backed by the Assemblies of God...both of these are accredited universities...and there are several more...I'm sure you can find one that matches your theology, for the most part...May the Lord guide your search!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lajeejay

Feb 25, 2013
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
This link was recommended by a friend. Great Commission Bible College, greatcommissionbc.co.uk while I was searching for free online accredited christian college in the U.K. Although not completely free, GCBC (U.K) charge one-time admission fee and scholarship for student from underdeveloped contries. Undergraduate course are charged at £30 per course, and graduate course at £40 per course. Recognized by the Government of the United States of America, as a 501 (c)(3) Religious Organization with all rights and privileges as provided by law. and by the the State of Missouri State of Missouri Department of Education to issue Religious Degrees. Diplomas and Certificates. Accredited by (AICCS) Association of Independent Christian Churches and Seminaries.

Upvote 0

savedbyhim01

Apr 5, 2012
✟15,127.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I graduated from Moody, but took all my courses online from China. The degree I got is exactly the same as the one I would have gotten if I attended in person. I think you should ask your prospective school if there is any difference in their online degrees and "in-person" degrees. I asked scores of questions before enrolling at Moody. They did have a missionary discount, which was very helpful.

Upvote 0
Dec 14, 2012
✟15,119.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Going to add- distance learning may work if your interest is theology. I would not advice it for anyone who intends to become a pastor. You cannot really learn how to shepherd real people if your not interacting with real people in real situations with oversight.
I will second that opinion. I am in the candidacy process of the ELCA for ordained ministry to be a congregational pastor. There are just some aspects of a traditional classroom you cannot substitute with online technology. I was originally considering a "distributed learning" program, where there are in-person intensives, an internship, and other contextual face-to-face learning, but once I stepped foot on the seminary campus, the concern of learning outside community became very real. The community in which the seminarian is immersed continues to shape the pastoral identity and fosters the uninhibited exchange of life and ecclesial expereince both in and outside the classroom. You don't think worship experiences aren't shared around the hallways or around the water cooler? My future congregation deserves better. They deserve a more fully enriched formation from their shepherd.

Upvote 0

wriken

Apr 1, 2013
✟7,611.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Would look at a different school then ames. If go to the second lesson and look at memory verse, all Scripture is God-breathed and usable for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be well equipt for all good works.
2Timothy 3:16-17 they have it listed as 2timothy 4:16-17
I know mistakes happen. I emailed them and they said it was a publisher error and needed to be fixed. Over a month later it has not been fixed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sedg

Jul 4, 2006
Tyler,Tx
Visit site
✟8,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This may be something to consider also?

Beware that if a person receives a degree from let's say an accredited Baptist Bible College (online or regular college).... an Assembly of God Church would likely not recognize the degree for hiring within the church purposes, and visa versa.

Right or wrong, there are denominational boundaries when in comes to recognizing accredited, bible college degrees for hiring and/or ordination purposes within churches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kocarkacirx

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
✟15,121.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I looked at the website and my first thought is cool, why am I paying so much to study by correspondece through the program Im taking......then I too wonder...what is the catch? Do the credits transfer or will no one recognize them, what text books are used? if any at that price!

Upvote 0