• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Accepting the Anxiety

KTKat

Jan 21, 2008
Littleton
✟15,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From all the countless research I've done on anxiety, and the people I have talked to, it seems like acceptance is the way out of the disorder. Sounds easy enough. But why is it SOO hard! I sometimes have my good moments, but as soon as I a get a strange sensation, my mind starts thinking these catastrophic things like I'm going to faint, or I have some undiagnosed illness like MS. Does anyone have any tips on making acceptance easier? I guess I'm just feeling discouraged today. I always have this thought in the back of my head saying, 'what if it's more than anxiety'. It's driving me crazy! Is this normal? :|
Thanks for letting me rant........again :blush:

E

Everlasting33

From all the countless research I've done on anxiety, and the people I have talked to, it seems like acceptance is the way out of the disorder. Sounds easy enough. But why is it SOO hard! I sometimes have my good moments, but as soon as I a get a strange sensation, my mind starts thinking these catastrophic things like I'm going to faint, or I have some undiagnosed illness like MS. Does anyone have any tips on making acceptance easier? I guess I'm just feeling discouraged today. I always have this thought in the back of my head saying, 'what if it's more than anxiety'. It's driving me crazy! Is this normal? :|

I can understand your concern and your frustration. But you are very right when you say that acceptance precedes healing and recovery (check out my signature quote!;))
But you also have to be empathetic toward yourself. Instead of saying, "here we go again! Worrying about fainting and getting sick...ugh!" Say to yourself, "I feel very scared that I will faint. I know that this worry is only causing me tension and misery and although I feel scared, I know that I have to choose not to give into my worry." Understand that you are not always going to be confident and sure of everything, but you do not have to be! Be OK with imperfections and you will begin to feel less anxiety.

When we worry, we almost always assume the worst and we must be aware of this self-destructive trait. Worry assumes we are helpless and powerless to what happens to us and that we are not competent to handle any of life's stressors.

As you probably know, almost all worry starts off with "what if?" When we worry, we really want to control the unknown, the uncontrollable, and sometimes the unchangeable.

Have you actually fainted? If not, it is important to acknowledge that and say, "hey you know what? I never actually fainted...where is this worry coming from?"

And if you have actually fainted, there is an understanding on WHY you would continue to worry. But what does this worry actually solve? How will this worry prevent you from fainting? How will this worry give you peace and solutions to your fear of fainting?

Something to think about! Worry deceives us because we are feeling prepared BY worrying but if we actually think about it, it only prepares us for future tension and misery.

Of course, this is all easier said than done but it is still a choice us worriers have to make daily!

:)Best wishes

Reactions: gracechick
Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
One thing that's working well for me in helping me to accept my anxiety is Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction. If you're at all interested in learning about this technique, I highly recommend Jon Kabat-Zinn's book, Full Catastrophe Living. What this technique basically is, is just learning to live in the moment and learning to quiet down your thoughts of "what if...?" and "why didn't I...?" I don't know if that would help you at all, but I just figured I'd mention it, since it's helping me so much.

Upvote 0

KTKat

Jan 21, 2008
Littleton
✟15,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you everyone! Yea I know its so silly to worry about fainting. I've never fainted. But I always think 'oh this is it, I'm actually going to faint this time'

Thanks Hannah, that is something I have been looking into too!!! I first heard about the technique on the Oprah show when she was talking about Eckhart Tolle's book, A new Earth, and his other book, the power of now.

Upvote 0

brothersean

May 31, 2007
Illinois
✟7,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Acceptance of the anxiety disorder itself, is half the battle. The second half is acceptance of life, and whatever is. Destroying attachment to the negative and to fear, worry, hurt, and what not. Letting going, and just loving and being yourself. I, have suffered with severe anxiety disorder for years, and only this year conquered and overcame it through this very same acceptance you speak of. You are on the right track, and I am proud of you! :)

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
People who suffer from anxiety tend to be focused on how we feel. We obsess about it. Why do I feel this way? What's wrong with me? What if I pass out? What if I'm having a heart attack? We have to learn to "float" with these feelings and look back on what hasn't happened to us during these times of anxiety. Have you ever passed out? Have you ever had a heart attack? Probably not. What you're feeling is the release of certain chemicals into your system. They are Cortisol and Adrenaline. If we worry about how we feel we will bring on a panic attack, the very thing we're trying to avoid. The best thing to do is breathe your way through it and reassure yourself with positive self-talk.

If you feel yourself getting nervous, just tell yourself, "I am in control", "there is nothing to worry about, it's just anxiety" or something along those lines. It's a form of "thought replacement". You're replacing the obsessive negative thoughts with calming positive thoughts. Breathe in for a count of two and exhale for a count of 4. This will bring your heart rate back down to normal. It will take a while and a lot of practice for this to become effective. But the way we feel is determined by what we think.

Upvote 0

ChristianFriend2012

Apr 20, 2008
✟7,684.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a great forum, I agree with everyone's points they've made. I discovered mindfulness-techniques and vipassana meditations a few years back, and surprisingly enough it does work. To slow the mind's resolutions down, to contemplate nothing, or to contemplate only one thing, like the love we feel from and to our Lord, for example. To get to that quiet still place, and look at our mind as a sky then, each thought a passing cloud in, this is important, not my sky or your sky but, THE sky. A lot of times we get strange thoughts as humans and we wonder where it all comes from, we wonder if there's something wrong with MY mind. But the truth is, it's not my mind or your mind, it's THE mind, we can all relate to it in other words. Some will be quicker to admit to it than others. So to slow the mind down and see it as a sky, each thought is just a passing cloud, here it comes, there it goes, you're just a calm observer to something we're all dealing with.
Also, two other techniques I've found much peace in, is to bring a book with me in a backpack wherever I go. If I have to wait anywhere, I just open the pack, pop out a book, and engross myself in it. I consider it a healthy escape from a demented world at times. In addition, I've moved the rearview mirrors in my car so that I can't see anyone behind me. Instead I'll turn around and look to see if there's anyone behind when I switch lanes now. People might think it'd be more of a hassle, but I find it to be less of one. I'm sure not everyone will agree with my techniques to avoid unnecessary anxiety, but not everything is going to work the same for everyone. Great posts guys!

Upvote 0

KellyLeigh

Legend
Aug 13, 2005
✟22,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Accepting it is the hardest part! Months later I am still not 100% convinced that I have anxiety, panic attacks, and mild hypochondria. I still partially believe that I have a heart problem and whenever anxiety creeps up I always still think I'm about to have a heart attack in the back of my mind. :sigh: At least it is nice to know you aren't the only one going through this and you aren't the only one having a hard time accepting it.

Upvote 0

Spiderlashes

Feb 2, 2005
Ohio
✟7,888.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Maybe acceptance is the best remedy for people who suffer panic attacks (which is what many of you seem to be describing). But I have GAD -- generalized anxiety disorder. I don't think about dying and having heart attacks or embarassing myself, etc. I just worry and get stressed about every little thing. And as a result, I'm irritable, tightly wound, rigid and very negative. I can't just accept that. It's not fair to my kids to have a mother who is a crabby, nervous wreck all the time. And it's not fair to me. It just takes a huge toll on me mentally and physically.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JTW08

Sep 2, 2008
North Carolina
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can relate. I just joined on here! I've always had the fear of fainting! I know I am a hyperchondriac and I hate it with a passion! People dont understand how serious this really is and how it affects our life. My advise to you would be to talk to someone about it when you are having these thoughts Thats what I do. Or repeat this verse. Its my favorite! ''God Has not given me a sprit of fear but a power of peace and a sound mind!'' Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

ckim121

Sep 23, 2008
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian

Hey, I don't think you need to accept it. I suffered with anxiety almost my whole life (im 26 now) and was just recently cured by God, which is why I am now a born again Christian as of only 3 months ago. Keep praying and have faith that God will completely cure you. Here are some good steps you can take, as they have helped me out. 1) Focus on your breathing (i'm sure you've heard this before, but this is really important. Spend about 10-20 minutes a day in a quiet space in your house and focus on proper breathing. Breathe in your nose, out your mouth and make sure that when you breathe in, your stomache is inflating (getting bigger) and not your chest. Your chest should remain still. 2) Whenever you start feeling anxious, regardless of where you are at, close your eyes and focus on your breathing as you do at home. 3) Remeber that God created you, so for him to fix your anxiety is a very easy task for him. Pray and believe.

I thought I was going to be living with anxiety my whole life. It ruled and ruined my life. My family knows it's a miracle for me to be cured and I give all my thanks to God.

Hope this encourages or helps you out. Send me a message if you need to talk more about this issue. ;)

Upvote 0

Lemmiwinks

Mar 10, 2009
✟15,703.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I sometimes have my good moments, but as soon as I a get a strange sensation, my mind starts thinking these catastrophic things like I'm going to faint, or I have some undiagnosed illness like MS. Does anyone have any tips on making acceptance easier

These thoughts are like when you accidentally touch a hot stove and you react by withdrawing from the unpleasant thought and soothing it with another thought, for me its usually anger. I try to let the unpleasant thought stay with me for a while instead of immediately banishing it. I try to breathe deep and relax my muscles. This quarantines the unpleasant thought, and then I can evaluate it with a clearer frame of mind. Usually it is a thought of shame or embarrasment, and if I'm calm, I can analyze it unemotionally rather than freaking out over it. Being conscious of my physical symptoms has been very helpful for me.

Upvote 0