Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At work we have a returning employee who at first I considered an unbeliever. Then one day he mentioned that he went to church so I started to talk to him. When asked what he believes he gave the statement "Just accept Jesus into your heart." This of course started more conversation as to who he thinks Jesus is and is he doing the work or is it all done by Jesus.

I talked about Eph 2:8,9 some and explained that if his works could save him then why does he need Jesus. The sad truth is his church, a large assembly, does not explain who Jesus is and why we need him like that last breath of air to a drowning man.

I have decided to start in Genesis and talk about who God is first. My first objective is to show that God created every thing from nothing which should dispel all thoughts of aliens or other religions. Then I plan to show that scripture also says that Jesus made every thing and by him all things exist. I also plan to show mans attempts at salvation an offer Jesus as his only choice.

Comments and recommendations are appreciated.

Josheb

Christian
Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟160,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The sad truth is his church, a large assembly, does not explain who Jesus is and why we need him like that last breath of air to a drowning man.
How do you know this?

I read nothing in the op warranting such a generalized and negative view of that entire congregation. I read not "truth" in the op in this regard. What I do read is the insinuation of negativity pertaining to the eternal disposition of that entire congregation.

If this is how you come across to your coworker then I exhort you to read, pray, and apply Philippians 2:3, Romans 12:10, and Col. 4:5-6.
I have decided to start in Genesis and talk about who God is first.
So you intend to assume a role of pastor and teacher in another's life. Have you asked God if this is what He would like or this role over him being assumed without God's directing you to do so? Has the coworker been asked if this is what he would like or are this role over him being assumed without his knowledge or consent?

I encourage you to consider James 3:1 and Ephesians 4:11-16 so you can understand 1) the responsibilities you are taking on and 2) what it is scripture says is the purpose of a pastor/teacher.

And I would encourage you to consider these things in light of the fact that you think you know the eternal disposition of an entire congregation based on one person's report.
My first objective is to show that God created every thing from nothing which should dispel all thoughts of aliens or other religions.
Why is this your first objective?
Then I plan to show that scripture also says that Jesus made every thing and by him all things exist.
Why is this what theat person needs next?
I also plan to show mans attempts at salvation [and] offer Jesus as his only choice.
What makes you think Jesus is not already the co-worker's choice? I read nothing in the op indicating Jesus is not his choice. What I read is he believes he has accepted Jesus into his heart.
(josh grins) I cannot wait to see how this post is appreciated.

Every Christian is called to give reason for the hope within us. We are not all called to shepherd others, especially without their knowing or their consent, just because we perceive a need to do so. If he is saved, then he is to be treated as a brother in Christ, a peer, not a subordinate. If you're going to develop a discipling relationship with him then you must have his knowing consent. You also need to be able to receive as give and you need to be in accountable relationships yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When asked what he believes he gave the statement "Just accept Jesus into your heart."
Why do you feel that this answer is inadequate ?

Romans 10

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,962.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
At work we have a returning employee who at first I considered an unbeliever. Then one day he mentioned that he went to church so I started to talk to him. When asked what he believes he gave the statement "Just accept Jesus into your heart." This of course started more conversation as to who he thinks Jesus is and is he doing the work or is it all done by Jesus.

I talked about Eph 2:8,9 some and explained that if his works could save him then why does he need Jesus. The sad truth is his church, a large assembly, does not explain who Jesus is and why we need him like that last breath of air to a drowning man.

I have decided to start in Genesis and talk about who God is first. My first objective is to show that God created every thing from nothing which should dispel all thoughts of aliens or other religions. Then I plan to show that scripture also says that Jesus made every thing and by him all things exist. I also plan to show mans attempts at salvation an offer Jesus as his only choice.

First off:

1. Remember everyone is different, there is no “one message fits all”. Everyone is at a different spot in their spiritual walk.

2. You might see yourself as the person God has brought to you to help, but it is very likely the opposite: God has brought you to him to help you. Be as open to his ideas as you want him to be open to your ideas, LISTEN more then talk. You want him to listen to you, so do not expect him to listen to you better than you listen to him.

3. He may have a really strong reason for wanting to study with you, which you will not know about until he trusts you (men keep thing bottled up more than women).

4. I was asked a lot of controversial questions one time before the man opened his screen door and I somehow said: “That is not what you really want to talk about is it.” And he opened the door.

5. Do not let your lesson plan (agenda) get in the way of his learning. His concerns may lead you both to new ideas. Follow up on every question he has, but this may mean next week after you study the topic further.

6. You do not want him bringing up tracks, books and commentaries by who knows who, stick to just the Bible, which means you have to stick to the just the Bible also.

7. If you want him to learn about God then start with Jesus (one of the Gospels). Is that one of the reasons Jesus came? Yes, he might ask about Gen. 1, but do not try to defend one conclusion, but give him choices and possibilities, let it be his choice. You can at some point tell him what you believe at this time in your spiritual growth, but you might change since you are still growing and learning.

8. Do everything in Love, your Love for Him and your Love for God/Christ.

9. You are not trying to win an argument or boost your church attendance.

Lot can be said.

Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you know this?

I read nothing in the op warranting such a generalized and negative view of that entire congregation. I read not "truth" in the op in this regard. What I do read is the insinuation of negativity pertaining to the eternal disposition of that entire congregation.

If this is how you come across to your coworker then I exhort you to read, pray, and apply Philippians 2:3, Romans 12:10, and Col. 4:5-6.

So you intend to assume a role of pastor and teacher in another's life. Have you asked God if this is what He would like or this role over him being assumed without God's directing you to do so? Has the coworker been asked if this is what he would like or are this role over him being assumed without his knowledge or consent?

I encourage you to consider James 3:1 and Ephesians 4:11-16 so you can understand 1) the responsibilities you are taking on and 2) what it is scripture says is the purpose of a pastor/teacher.

And I would encourage you to consider these things in light of the fact that you think you know the eternal disposition of an entire congregation based on one person's report.

Why is this your first objective?

Why is this what theat person needs next?

What makes you think Jesus is not already the co-worker's choice? I read nothing in the op indicating Jesus is not his choice. What I read is he believes he has accepted Jesus into his heart.

(josh grins) I cannot wait to see how this post is appreciated.

Every Christian is called to give reason for the hope within us. We are not all called to shepherd others, especially without their knowing or their consent, just because we perceive a need to do so. If he is saved, then he is to be treated as a brother in Christ, a peer, not a subordinate. If you're going to develop a discipling relationship with him then you must have his knowing consent. You also need to be able to receive as give and you need to be in accountable relationships yourself.

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you feel that this answer is inadequate ?

Romans 10

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Without knowing you are naturally dead and need a savior the concept of Jesus paying your sin debt is not real. In my co-workers case he doesn't yet realize what he needs salvation from or what Jesus did at the cross.

Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First off:

1. Remember everyone is different, there is no “one message fits all”. Everyone is at a different spot in their spiritual walk.

2. You might see yourself as the person God has brought to you to help, but it is very likely the opposite: God has brought you to him to help you. Be as open to his ideas as you want him to be open to your ideas, LISTEN more then talk. You want him to listen to you, so do not expect him to listen to you better than you listen to him.

3. He may have a really strong reason for wanting to study with you, which you will not know about until he trusts you (men keep thing bottled up more than women).

4. I was asked a lot of controversial questions one time before the man opened his screen door and I somehow said: “That is not what you really want to talk about is it.” And he opened the door.

5. Do not let your lesson plan (agenda) get in the way of his learning. His concerns may lead you both to new ideas. Follow up on every question he has, but this may mean next week after you study the topic further.

6. You do not want him bringing up tracks, books and commentaries by who knows who, stick to just the Bible, which means you have to stick to the just the Bible also.

7. If you want him to learn about God then start with Jesus (one of the Gospels). Is that one of the reasons Jesus came? Yes, he might ask about Gen. 1, but do not try to defend one conclusion, but give him choices and possibilities, let it be his choice. You can at some point tell him what you believe at this time in your spiritual growth, but you might change since you are still growing and learning.

8. Do everything in Love, your Love for Him and your Love for God/Christ.

9. You are not trying to win an argument or boost your church attendance.

Lot can be said.

I plan to point to the Bible and not my self. As questions come up I plan to have him find them in the scriptures since my past experiences in previous decades is that life has a way of separating people when a serious biblical discussion gets started.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I have went to a few churches where there is no invitation to accept Christ at all, and there is no talk about His grace, and or any need to believe in Him for salvation and there is no gospel message of His death, burial, and resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:1-4). No grace, means.... no salvation. These churches are all about "do, do, do" and "no grace." This is wrong. At least the church he went to got him to accept Christ as His Savior. But yes, acceptance of Christ without knowing the gospel is not good, either. For not knowing why Christ died for us, and was buried, and was risen three days later is a big problem.

As for Ephesians 2:8-9:

This is how we are initially and ultimately saved. God's grace (Jesus and the gospel) is the entrance gate to salvation. We are not saved by works of righteousness that we have done, but by His mercy (Titus 3:5). God's grace is also foundational to our salvation, as well. We continue to build upon the foundation of God's grace (Who is Jesus Christ). Jesus is the gift (John 3:16). If we mess up or happen to stumble into a sin on rare occasion (unintentionally), we go to His grace by confessing our sin to Jesus in order to be forgiven (1 John 1:9). So God's grace is how we are initially and ultimately saved.

I also believe that a person has to accept the Holy Bible as God's one and only spiritual authority for their lives, as well. This is what it means to be born of water. For if a person starts to accept a false vision, or man made church traditions, or another supposed holy book (Besides the Bible), they are not born of water. A person can also deny that there is no Holy Word from God that we can know today with 100% certainty, too. They may think God's Word (the Bible) is unknowable (as a whole or in part) or that there are errors in God's Word (or they must determine what is true and false in the Bible). If so, I believe this type person is not born of water.

To be born of the Spirit means one is given a new heart with new desires when they believe in Christ's death, burial, and resurrection on their behalf for salvation and they seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ over their past life of sin.

After one is saved by God's grace: They need to enter the Sanctification Process (Putting away sin, being fruitful (works), and in living holy by God doing the good work through you) as a part of salvation. If not, then they are turning God's grace into a license for immorality (Jude 1:4). If they do not enter the Sanctification Process for salvation they are not agreeing with Titus 2:11-12 that says that God's grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world.

Most today in candy land Christianity want God and their sin, too. But it does not work like that. We can deny God by our works (Titus 1:16). Without holiness, no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14). If we live after the flesh (sin), we will die, but if we put to death the misdeeds of the body (sin) by the Spirit, we will live (live eternally) (Romans 8:13). 2 Thessalonians 2:13 says that God has chosen us to salvation by two things.

(a) Belief of the Truth (Jesus is the Truth - Jhn 14:6).
(b) Sanctification of the Spirit (Romans 8:13, Galatians 5:16).​

James says we are justified by works and not by faith alone (James 2:24).
Yes, salvation is initially and ultimately in God's grace through faith in Christ and the gospel message (1 Corinthians 15:1-4), which is a foundational process of salvation that is without works (Ephesians 2:9). So we are not saved by "Works Alone." But the Bible does talk about how Sanctification also plays a part in the salvation process, too. For Jesus is the author of eternal life to all who obey Him (Hebrews 5:9). 1 John 1:7 says that if we walk in the light, the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin. According to 1 John 2:9-11, walking in the light is loving your brother.

God's grace is about cleansing us of our past sin. Sanctification is about purifying yourself before God in this life and living faithfully to Him. For Jesus says "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord' if you do not do what I say?" (Luke 6:46). It is a contradiction for a believer to be a "sinning saint," or to be "unfaithful in their faith." For even the demons believe and tremble (James 2:19).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God's grace is about cleansing us of our past sin. Sanctification is about purifying yourself before God in this life and living faithfully to Him. For Jesus says "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord' if you do not do what I say?" (Luke 6:46). It is a contradiction for a believer to be a "sinning saint," or to be "unfaithful in their faith." For even the demons believe and tremble (James 2:19).

Do I read the last paragraph of your comment as saying that past sin is forgiven, but not future sin we have not committed?

What happens if a person is saved and dies in the act of committing a sin after that?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do I read the last paragraph of your comment as saying that past sin is forgiven, but not future sin we have not committed?

What happens if a person is saved and dies in the act of committing a sin after that?

Hebrews 10:26 "For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins"

But...

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9).

"He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy." (Proverbs 28:13).

Side Note:

No Scripture verse or passage talks about how future sin is forgiven us. In fact, verses like 1 John 1:9, Psalms 51, Proverbs 28:13, etc. would not make any sense if such were the case.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Great post! The phrase your co-worker used isn't even biblical. It's too vague as well. It could well mean many different things to many people. Which is a problem. If people don't place their trust in Jesus alone for their salvation, they aren't saved.

For a church to not explain who Jesus is, is just stunning! Jesus is a Person, fully human and fully God, and John makes it clear that we must believe that Jesus is God in order to have eternal life. John 20:31.

Your plan to begin in Genesis is right on.

• Winner
Reactions: Stone-n-Steel
Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great post! The phrase your co-worker used isn't even biblical. It's too vague as well. It could well mean many different things to many people. Which is a problem. If people don't place their trust in Jesus alone for their salvation, they aren't saved.

For a church to not explain who Jesus is, is just stunning! Jesus is a Person, fully human and fully God, and John makes it clear that we must believe that Jesus is God in order to have eternal life. John 20:31.

Your plan to begin in Genesis is right on.

Thank you for the encouragement. Work has had us working in separate areas but I have his contact info and plan to see if he wants some coffee after work. Have to wait till after spring break since he has to get home to take care of the kids.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you for the encouragement. Work has had us working in separate areas but I have his contact info and plan to see if he wants some coffee after work. Have to wait till after spring break since he has to get home to take care of the kids.
:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟874,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I always recommend starting in John 1 with new believers because in my opinion it give a great introduction to who God and Jesus is as well as the origin of creation. Of course it doesn’t go into as much detail in some ways as Genesis does but it does explain why Jesus died for our sins. A lot of info in John 1.

Upvote 0