Is AC/DC a Christian Band? Can Christians Listen to Them?

Oct 6, 2011
✟15,116.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know how many times this question has been asked but is it okay to listen to AC/DC? Actually there are only two songs I listen to (Shoot To Thrill and Back In Black). My dad didn't want me to listen to Highway to Hell because, you know, the guy (Sorry, I'm not like, super fans of them, I just enjoy those two songs...) died after singing it. I did listen to him though. Because some of their lyrics are kind of..... anti-Christ? Or at least they seem to be, but Shoot to Thrill and Back In Black's lyrics aren't that...um, anti-Christ? But I'm kind of unsure and I don't want to listen to music that I'm not supposed to. Thanks ^_^

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Listen to hwy to hell, its really a stmt against the fast lane life style-a warning iof you will. Angus Young is one of R&R cleanest guys & Malcom-well Malcom is just pretty, but I like Pretty & I Love AC/DC.

Upvote 0

RachelAnnOU

Oct 22, 2011
✟7,641.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love ACDC :) "Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be" doesn't exactly align with Christian morals... but these guys were great musicians/entertainers. I know what I believe and song lyrics aren't going to threaten that. I appreciate good musicians - doesn't mean I always agree with what they're singing

Reactions: TheGoodLight
Upvote 0

ChiRho78

Sep 21, 2011
Virginia, USA
✟7,800.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I love ACDC :) "Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be" doesn't exactly align with Christian morals... but these guys were great musicians/entertainers. I know what I believe and song lyrics aren't going to threaten that. I appreciate good musicians - doesn't mean I always agree with what they're singing

I don't see how its against christian morals.

Upvote 0

AgapeGrace

Saved by Gracee
Oct 31, 2011
England
✟7,895.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I don't think the music you listen to reflects your own moral views, for example many main stream songs are about affairs - but I'm absolutely and completly against them. I just like the way the music sounds and it makes me happy. I like AC/DC.

Upvote 0

ThePerfectNobody

Christian Critic
Sep 10, 2013
✟15,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
AC/DC may have written songs like HABPTB, but I doubt these guys can be taken seriously for any "messages" and I doubt they're trying to be taken seriously in that sense given their reputation. AC/DC are an obnoxious but funny band with great songs (mostly title tracks) who write songs about how bada** they are and make comedic but a little inappropriate mentions of balls. Again, because of songs like Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Big Balls, and She's Got Balls, AC/DC are not a band one must take seriously. Heck, I doubt any band with lead sigers like Bon and Brian could be taken seriously.

AC/DC is my 11th favorite band.

• Agree
Upvote 0

MomOf2nApril

Aug 26, 2013
Colorado
✟15,300.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Oy. Another "can I listen to this band" thread? I will say the same thing here that I say in them all. Listen to whatever music you like. If you like AC/DC, listen to them. Christianity is not defined by the music you listen to, and can really only negatively affect you if you let it. Most Christians do let it, but not consciously. Most of us have been taught from the beginning that secular music is bad and will corrupt you; and because most Christians believe that to be true, they subconsciously let secular music corrupt them if they listen to it. But in reality, it is your choice. Let it affect you, or don't. Pick one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheGoodLight

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2016
PA
✟410,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
AC/DC is probably my favorite band. As they've said before, the imagery they use is for comedic purposes. If it bothers someone I wouldn't blame them for staying away from it, but it hasn't done me any harm. I wouldn't wear my AC/DC clothes to church (... anymore), but that's because rock band attire in that setting seems a bit out of context/norm.

The newest album is a good time. Recommended.

Upvote 0

Genebgto

Dec 27, 2022
Louisville
✟7,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Listening to AcDc in a public setting doesn’t provide a good Christian witness. Their songs are about total debauchery. My family sings Highway to hell every Christmas. I don’t participate. We are supposed to celebrate the birth of our savior who saved us from the fires of Hell. But this song celebrates Hell and going to it. What is the message we are giving to he little ones? I will no longer go to our families Christmas celebration if they insist on sing this song

Reactions: Guy fromNB
Upvote 0

Guy fromNB

Aug 23, 2012
✟16,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think that we are fooling ourselves when we say that song lyrics have no effect on us when we are listening to them. I used to sing "Sympathy for the Devil" back in the days. It's a song that personify the devil. The problem I think, is that those songs are written by people who don't believe in any of that stuff.

I like the sound of AC/DC. Even with Bon Scott and songs like TNT. But when I see him singing "High Way to Hell" I cannot help but wonder where he is today. I think it's kinda sad in a way.

Secular bands are for some reasons, better at making music than Christian ones in my opinion. So, I will not hide to you the fact that I do listen to some of them from time to time. But I am somehow selective in my choice of songs.

Upvote 0

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
Germany's sin city - Munich
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What you listen to is no matter of your salvation BUT it can make you stumble and don't think it here
I like the sound of AC/DC. Even with Bon Scott and songs like TNT. But when I see him singing "High Way to Hell" I cannot help but wonder where he is today. I think it's kinda sad in a way.
Very. Same is the case for Pink Floyd.

Upvote 0