• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Abuse and Neglect - Suck it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2017
New York
✟282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A story of a woman's battle with depression and PTSD that eventually led to suicide. She was told not to seek professional help for her PTSD and depression and instead just pray and suck it up.

"In 1995, before the release of the video He’s Been Faithful, Roberta was diagnosed with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and clinical depression by a psychiatrist that she was seeing. She went to Pastor Cymbala prior to seeing the psychiatrist for counseling because she was suffering from depression. The only counsel that Jim Cymbala gave her was “pray more”. After he found out that she had gone to see a psychiatrist, he forbade her from taking any of the medication she had been prescribed for the two conditions and warned her never to go back to the psychiatrist again."

The Story Behind the Story – Roberta Langella and Pastor Jim Cymbala – Part 1

Last edited:

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello,

What is your point? I've read the attachment but you have no narrative in your post. The phrase, "suck it up" that is both in your subject line and also in the critique of the attachment seems out of place in a Recovery Forum. But maybe I don't understand what point you are trying to make.

In the spirit of helpfulness and support that we have in the recovery forums, what are you trying to say with your thread?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
if you read the story you will see the point. HOw spiritual abuse and neglect and pastors who ignore PTSD and depression is harmful to those suffering from it.
Yeah I saw that. The thing is "suck it up" works on the surface, but does so by making the person harden their heart. (not good) It is a fleshly solution that has little spiritual value.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟295,811.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Often, prayer is not the solution to problems....

As St. John said in the Bible, if a brother or sister is having problem you give them *real* help....He didnt' even mention to pray for them....

For example, if money would help a brother or sister in their problem, then give them money or better yet, give them an opportunity to make money.

It's sad to see that Christianity has become a "religion of convenience" and abusing prayers for the sake convenience and wonder why in the time of their own needs, their prayers are powerless. That's the price for abusing prayers.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Often, prayer is not the solution to problems....
The full solution, no. I totally agree. But I would add to that that ALL solutions need to be surrounded by aggressive prayer.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟829,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a Christian with depression and PTSD. Praying along with following doctor's instructions is what needs to be done. If my pastor told me to pray instead of going to a doctor or taking medicine, I would immediately change churches. And if my doctor told me to knock off the praying and just swallow the pills, I would immediately change doctors.

As it happens, I no longer take medication. Is my problem gone? No, but I have progressed far enough not to need to take medicine anymore, and that's to the Lord's glory. Pastors, in my opinion, should not put limits on how God works when He heals us. Often He works through the doctors and the medicine.

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Admin Hat On

This thread has been closed. Original posts and other follow up posts in recovery are only for members seeking support to help deal with their issues and for supportive family and friends to have a place to ask questions to help their loved ones.

This is not an area for posts that do not seek support, are wanting to debate or which are hurtful to those who are seeking support here.

Admin Hat Off

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.