Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
As Christians we are called to imitate Christ in his sufferings and death even to the point of being reviled and murdered for his sake. However, we also are called protect ourselves and our children from abuse. How do these two things co-exist? Should a person remain in a relationship, embracing personal harm in union with the sufferings of Christ or is there a way to remain in union with the sufferings of Christ and still protect oneself?

Thank you.

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As Christians we are called to imitate Christ in his sufferings and death even to the point of being reviled and murdered for his sake. However, we also are called protect ourselves and our children from abuse. How do these two things co-exist? Should a person remain in a relationship, embracing personal harm in union with the sufferings of Christ or is there a way to remain in union with the sufferings of Christ and still protect oneself?

Thank you.
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I don't recall the LORD ever saying to 'protect ourselves'

"And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also."

He did however say "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword"

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I don't recall the LORD ever saying to 'protect ourselves'

"And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also."

He did however say "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword"
Let me be more specific, suppose a husband beats his wife or sexually abused his children. Are they to endure it?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thank you.
Abuse due to your faith in Jesus Christ of Nazareth, is one thing , enduring the same because your living with a monster is another. These are two completely different situations. Protect you and your family at all cost. My prayers.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Thank you.

It's not hard to discern. No one needs to fulfill their Christian purpose by placing themselves, or worse yet, allowing themselves to be or remain, in harm's way.

Being "called" to be an Evangelist or Missionary is one thing, but living with an abusive parent, spouse, boyfriend or what have you, particularly in a more or less "free" nation like the United States or in Europe, isn't what we're being asked to do ...

So, there's nothing wrong with an Exodus, if and when needed.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let me be more specific, suppose a husband beats his wife or sexually abused his children. Are they to endure it?

A Christian husband is to love his wife, being willing to give up eberything for her. So a husband who beats his wife is not one to stsy with.
Protect yourself and your children and either leave or get a court order banning him from the house and from contacting the children.

Upvote 0

Renewed24

Oct 17, 2022
Vancouver
✟16,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Parents and spouses should build up and help us get to Heaven. I divorced my husband after years of emotional, verbal, psychological abuse that had me depressed & considering suicide. I figured suicide is not what God wants, either. But ultimately, the final straw was learning he was digging us deep into debt faster than I could earn our way out and he was stealing and running up debt on my credit cards, which meant I lost the buffer $ I kept in my personal bank account exactly to protect against his overspending. We were going to eventually lose the house. I divorced him to make sure he couldn't legally take my money again because that money was all we had to keep a roof over kids' heads.

No, I don't think I was in the wrong for making sure my kids didn't end up living in a car. I think my husband is the one who will answer for it because he left me little choice. Divorce or 6 kids homeless.

Upvote 0