Abp Vigano: Has Pope Francis now ‘disavowed’ being Vicar of Christ?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To me, it just seems that the Pope is trying to be more humble. Nothing wrong with that.
Well that was mentioned but why deny what you took on to be for the Church? Like I said, I’m confused by Vigano, Müller, and the Pope on this. I’m hoping @Davidnic can shed some light on this.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It is odd. But the Vatican Yearbook is hardly the be-all and end-all of the addition or elimination of titles of the Pope. It is often used as showing what the Pope wants to stress. I think Viagano and Muller are overreacting a bit, and I would need to check the source on Muller. Lifesite is not known anymore (since their purchase a few years ago) for the most accurate reporting.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have a guess why he did it, and it is to tone down primacy. I disagree with him doing it. But remember when Pope Benedict dropped Patriarch of the West to remove a possible hindrance to dialog with the Orthodox? It seems to me along the same lines.

I find it ill-advised but it is not disavowing anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is odd. But the Vatican Yearbook is hardly the be-all and end-all of the addition or elimination of titles of the Pope. It is often used as showing what the Pope wants to stress. I think Viagano and Muller are overreacting a bit, and I would need to check the source on Muller. Lifesite is not known anymore (since their purchase a few years ago) for the most accurate reporting.
I’ve been searching. If you find anything, let me know. I thought it a bit of an overreaction as well. One omission in the yearbook does not mean the pope rejects the title and description of his role does it?

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Pope now seems to declare himself ‘absolute monarch even with respect to Christ,’ according to the archbishop.

Abp Viganò: Has Pope Francis now ‘disavowed’ being Vicar of Christ?

Funny coincidence, I just started listening to this R4R episode from November 22nd about Viganò's commentary on the Amazon Synod. Tim and Dave's thoughts are very astute on the whole situation—I wasn't aware how pachamama had sprung onto the secular scene concurrently with the synod, which is highly disturbing. Like the Viganò and the Gordon's both said though, Pope Francis/The Vatican overplayed their hand on this one.

If anyone's interested, here's the episode:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Julian of Norwich

English Catholic
Nov 10, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟81,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think it was an act of humility and recognition that, as all men, he is a sinner too. He did a somewhat similar thing on his election and has been (mostly) trying to get bishops to rule their own diocese. I also agree that it is also an attempt to forge a bond with the Orthodox. I'm not necessarily a fan of all he's done, but I agree on this and even wonder if there isn't some Vatican politics in all of this.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it was an act of humility and recognition that, as all men, he is a sinner too. He did a somewhat similar thing on his election and has been (mostly) trying to get bishops to rule their own diocese. I also agree that it is also an attempt to forge a bond with the Orthodox. I'm not necessarily a fan of all he's done, but I agree on this and even wonder if there isn't some Vatican politics in all of this.
I think there is ALWAYS politics unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,093.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As a former Protestant turned Catholic, for whom at least one of the reasons was the divisions within Protestantism, it bemuses me to see top flight catholic figures picking arguments with the Pope.

As a lay Catholic, the buck pretty much stops at the Eucharist in the local church as far as I'm concerned. If the hierarchy want to have their bun fights, let them.

I get a bit cynical about Catholic infallibility at times. But maybe that's also partly due to my Australian tendency to be sceptical about authority in general.

As my old Presbyterian pastor used to say "One bunch of sinners is pretty much the same as the rest."

Upvote 0

Hamlet7768

World's Second-Worst Polemicist
Nov 2, 2013
United States of America
✟22,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Who purchased them? Just curious. I haven't trusted LSN for a while and wasn't inclined to start, but I didn't know it could have been linked to someone buying the site. I know at some point it changed from being about the pro-life movement to being something like the cable news of Catholic media.

Upvote 0