Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Father James Martin, S.J., spoke at St. Joseph’s University earlier this week (Tuesday, September 17) on themes related to his book Building A Bridge. And as I expected, quite a few emails arrived in my inbox questioning his teaching on same-sex related issues and urging me to prevent his appearance. A local bishop is typically unable to do that, since most Catholic universities operate under the authority of the religious community that sponsors them.​

Father James Martin and Catholic belief

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Again one of the signs of the darkening times is that Archbishop Chaput is not a cardinal.
His days are, I suspect, numbered. He was born September 26, 1944. By my calculations he has less than a week as archbishop of Philadelphia. There was a rumor, which I highly discount, that James Martin was to become the next archbishop of Philadelphia. I only discount it because normally one becomes a bishop before becoming an archbishop.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Father James Martin, S.J., spoke at St. Joseph’s University earlier this week (Tuesday, September 17) on themes related to his book Building A Bridge. And as I expected, quite a few emails arrived in my inbox questioning his teaching on same-sex related issues and urging me to prevent his appearance. A local bishop is typically unable to do that, since most Catholic universities operate under the authority of the religious community that sponsors them.​

Father James Martin and Catholic belief
It was a masterful letter by Chaput, a solid teacher of the Catholic faith, given he couldn't actually stop the University from sponsoring the speech by James Martin.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
His days are, I suspect, numbered. He was born September 26, 1944. By my calculations he has less than a week as archbishop of Philadelphia. There was a rumor, which I highly discount, that James Martin was to become the next archbishop of Philadelphia. I only discount it because normally one becomes a bishop before becoming an archbishop.

That would be some horribly tragic irony if Martin succeeded Chaput. Hopefully a new Pope comes before then and defrocks Martin.

It was a masterful letter by Chaput, a solid teacher of the Catholic faith, given he couldn't actually stop the University from sponsoring the speech by James Martin.

It's been interesting seeing the different takes on Twitter about it. Most seem satisfied, Voris thinks Abp. Chaput was too soft, too easy, and that Martin needs to be distinctly and unequivocally condemned for his views. I'm somewhere in the middle. I think the archbishops letter helps tremendously to clear up the ambiguity about Martin's teachings, but I wouldn't mind strict and direct condemnation of what Martin has promoted over the years either.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That would be some horribly tragic irony if Martin succeeded Chaput. Hopefully a new Pope comes before then and defrocks Martin.
It WAS a rumor. And I really doubt it will happen exactly like that. But I do expect someone very different than archbishop Chaput to be installed, and made a cardinal fairly quickly.
It's been interesting seeing the different takes on Twitter about it. Most seem satisfied, Voris thinks Abp. Chaput was too soft, too easy, and that Martin needs to be distinctly and unequivocally condemned for his views. I'm somewhere in the middle. I think the archbishops letter helps tremendously to clear up the ambiguity about Martin's teachings, but I wouldn't mind strict and direct condemnation of what Martin has promoted over the years either.
It was a polite smackdown of Martinism. All the more effective for being so polite about it. He gains nothing by being nasty. He put it out there exactly what is wrong with Martinism without attacking the person.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It WAS a rumor. And I really doubt it will happen exactly like that. But I do expect someone very different than archbishop Chaput to be installed, and made a cardinal fairly quickly.

Considering how Vatican appointments have gone thus far, I'm sure you're right.

It was a polite smackdown of Martinism. All the more effective for being so polite about it. He gains nothing by being nasty. He put it out there exactly what is wrong with Martinism without attacking the person.

Well said. He also gave Martin the benefit of the doubt, which felt like an appropriate display of wisdom and virtue from His Excellency. To me it was plenty 'unequivocal' in saying Martin's views cross a line, and he does not have the support of the Church, nor are his veiled/unveiled calls for Church teaching to change wise, let alone possible.

Upvote 0