About working

cloudstrife007

Jun 13, 2006
✟8,007.00
Faith
Christian
Hi brothers/sisters,

I'm about to finish uni in actuarial studies and want to know if there are superannuation/insurance businesses run by Christians (if there's such a thing). I remember hearing about Christian Super on the radio but don't know much about them.

At the moment, I'm working 5 days part time in the city at a corporate company and find it really hard to fit in to that environment. The people are fairly nice, but the values are definitely different to mine. Generally, they work for the sake of working and earning money and they meet people for the sake of networking and connections.
So the environment from my point of view seems a bit artificial.
At the end of the day, I don't feel any sense of fulfilment from working in that environment and loathe going back the next day.

I'd want to go to work knowing that the people I work with are genuine and hold the same values as I would. I'm aware that there may be people who see this as looking for shelter from a Christian environment and avoiding the 'real' world. So am I seeking something that's not possible? Are my expectations of work too unrealistic?

cloudstrife007

Jun 13, 2006
✟8,007.00
Faith
Christian
I've thought about that. Being a witness amongst the non-Christians and standing firm in my faith. But I'm not the type to make much of an impression on people simply because I'm very introverted and shy. I know God uses us in his way but at the moment my situation just doesn't feel good at all. Since working here, it's been the worst few months I've ever experienced in my short life. I know to trust God because He knows what's best for me, but I do feel helpless, weak and direction-less.
And since working at my current workplace, I've also felt a desire to go into health instead of commerce. I've come to realize I'll find it hard to find any fulfillment from working in commerce. Hence the desire to work in the Christian environment to see if its possible to find that fulfillment.
In health, I'd help people and possibly make a difference to someone's life through my work. But it'd mean I'd be throwing away 4 years of painful studying in actuarial studies and starting over. But I don't know yet. Too many things going on right now with work, uni final exams coming around in a week's time, etc.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Keep praying friend - you are in an industry where God is not very prevalent. Do ask for his direction, do listen to his word. Nothing is ever wasted by God - so he will use your studies for something and even where you are now for his glory.

You're better off listening to advice from someone that is older though! I'll bump this in hope someone else will reply.

Upvote 0

Monarchist

Aug 13, 2007
South
✟8,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People can and will rip a Christian apart unless they are hardened. Best as a Christian to work with another Christian for support.
I would probably leave if in your circumstance.
Let your actions be your witness and as GSC said lean on JC.
Incidentally I work for a full on Jehovas Witness company, makes for entertaining days. I wish I had Christian company.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,352.00
Faith
Christian
A few thoughts for you

Even in Christian workplaces – people disagree. Christians have different beliefs (just look at this forum). Though having worked in one I must admit that generally the atmosphere is less “artificial” as people are concentrating less on career and more on Christ

You can be a Christian witness at a secular workplace. You don’t have to preach at people. You can witness through your hard work, honesty and integrity.

It’s natural to feel a bit lost not long after you’ve left uni. And plenty of people change careers in their lives. I would recommend that you stick with your area for a year or so before deciding to change. You might find things settle down. And if they don’t you can still jump ship. I certainly did.

Upvote 0

misfitforfaith

Oct 30, 2007
✟228.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
:confused: Business is Business and religion is religion to pretend some workplace is going to treat you better simply because they are a so called Christian Business is hogwash!.
Face facts fellow posters you live in system that gets its kicks out of survival of the fittest not much room for the weak or love thy neighbour in that nor ethics either for example the way so called christian job network agencies treat unemployed people is deplorable for example trying throw people into x rated industries just to meet their funding arrangements is deplorable.:mad:

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's the fact that we live in a system of survival of the fittest that we have to be salt and light. I'm sorry but I am not religious. Religion is nothing to me. My believe in God influences my life 24/7 - every breath I take, every moment I'm awake. If my faith is just based on religious practice then it's better not to have any faith at all.

A Christian workplace may not necessarily treat you better...but at least you all believe in the same God and should act accordingly towards that belief. So it may be easier for someone just going to the workplace to handle it.

Upvote 0

cloudstrife007

Jun 13, 2006
✟8,007.00
Faith
Christian
It may be the trend of society to be part of the survival of the fittest environment, but I feel that we all have a choice on whether to be part of this culture, Christian or non-Christian. As such I feel that Christians are capable of doing well in the financial industry without having to compromise their faith, although it could be a great struggle. But I personally just feel that I'm not suited to the environment nor think that I would find it fulfilling to do as a living, day in day out.
I chose to study actuarial studies/commerce before I came to know God but over the years built up an inner desire to help people, particularly in less fortunate areas of the world. So I wouldn't mind doing any old job that allows some flexibility to do volunteer work overseas. But at the same time my parents (who are non-Christian) have an expectation of me doing well financially, so I really don't know how to deal with it yet. Some may say that in the end it's my choice, not my parents, but I feel obliged to fulfill their expectations since they raised me up under tough conditions so that I could have the opportunity to do well.

I remember reading somewhere about how it's not whether we are happy but whether it's part of God's work and plan. So the argument was that you MIGHT have to stick with a tough situation that you absolutely hate because of God's will. Any thoughts on this?

Btw, I understand that the Christian work environment would have its problems as well. However I would hope that the Christian workers could still be held together by trusting each other's faith in God and not be totally driven by $$$ or selfish acts.

Sorry for the long post, just got to get things off my chest.

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My dear young friend, permit a seniour to have a few words for you. First off take to heart the message of Trogdor the Burninator, it's very real in this world.
Your idea of Christianity in todays workplace? I am sorry to say that I am thinking you take this from a very naive point. In a society like ours, great competition, dog bite dog, maybe a second God, called money???
Well this is exactly the place for us Christian people to outreach. So how can YOU winn this people to respect you firstly and then find out that you doing it for Christ?
Fit in with them firstly. This will give you later the opportunity to witness for Christ. Don't preach, don't run around and tell everybody you are a Christian - let them find out. Work hard, be honest, smile and be friendly to everyone, like a friendly good morning, beautiful sunshine today or we need the rain and so on. No one will resist a friendly smile. Be helpful to everyone, hold lift doors open, help caring loads for ladies and so on. You know what I mean? live a Christlike live first, and think positive. There comes a time when you get your opportunity: like somebody say 'no worries, take it' or a drug offer, or something against the law. This is your time to let them find out you are standing for Jesus: you can say somethink like this: 'no, I better not - it's no good to go on Sunday to church and be crooked during the week'. They will come to respect you for this.
Sorry it's so long, but I just like to encourage you, hang in their, give a good example - people do respect this.
So cheer up my dear friend,
Your brother in Christ,
Norbie:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

emmanemena

Veteran
May 16, 2007
Melbourne
✟9,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You might want to try out http://www.christianjobs.com.au/index.php. I had a quick look at accounting jobs just now and there isn't much there but you never know when God may provide for you.

Personally I too would prefer to have a Christian boss if not work for a Christian company when I graduate. I did a few days work for a surveyor at one stage during my course and he was not a Christian and in no way had morals like a Christian's. I would prefer to not to work in an environment like that full time.

Upvote 0

ScMay

Dec 5, 2004
Melbourne
✟951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I'm a little confused, aren't most people in secular workplaces Christian anyway? Statistically Christians make up over half the Australian population so they should make up over half the workforce, so is the problem you don't want to work with anyone who is different? How would a Christian only workplace solve this anyway unless it was restricted to a certain type or denomination, there is too much variation otherwise. Besides its quite discriminatory to not hire someone based solely on beliefs irrelevant to their productivity so I don't think there will ever be many "christian only" businesses.

Upvote 0

cloudstrife007

Jun 13, 2006
✟8,007.00
Faith
Christian
LOL I'm from a non Christian background and used to think that some of the Christians who were raised up in a Christian family were naive and sheltered. So I'm finding it amusing that I'd get to the point of being called naive myself. heheh
Over the past year or so, I've just begun to take the view that we all have a choice in whether to take part in the dog eat dog society/lifestyle. Not saying the whole of society or the whole working force is like this. Just saying that it's more likely to occur in the business/financial field where its highly competitive. Can Christians make it to the top at large corporate firms without compromising their faith? I believe so. But its not something everyone can do.
My main problem is that I don't feel that I'll enjoy the work in my field if it were to be something I'll do long term. And one of the factors causing me to think this, is that I know I don't want to live/work in an environment where dog eat dog mentality can be more prominent than in other fields. Another factor is that I don't feel that I'm helping people through my work. I know there are many ways to help people but I don't feel that working in this field its possible for me to really help people people. It may just be an attitude that I'm trying to deal with because I know its possible to help people around me at work, but I'm still feeling that at the end of the day, I only helped the company make money?

Statistically many people are Christian, but how these statistics are gathered can come under question. Going to church once/twice a year might be counted as being Christian. Or being raised in a Christian family as a child might count as being Christian. It's not up to me to say whether people are adopted children of God or not, but the actions/words of the majority of people at work certainly don't give me the impression that they're fellow brothers/sisters.

Sorry, it's not that I don't want to work with people if they're not Christian. Most of my friends are actually nonChristian, but they still have strong morals and values. If you know anything about corporate/financial environment, it can be very dog eat dog and lacking of values even for general society (not just Christian).

Me wanting to work under a Christian company might sound discriminatory however I had no intentions of doing so. There's just a higher tendency in the finance/business world for people to be more ruthless. I'm sure Christian run companies would accept workers of all backgrounds, but I think its more whether people who aren't Christian would want to work under a Christian run company.
To find work in a Christian run company in the finance world would be ideal so that there'd be a lower tendency to face faith compromising situations.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Just keep praying and seek guidance from the dude upstairs. No disrespect meant. I'm graduating in a year and a half and being an accountant I believe God will put me in a vicious environment to toughen me up before I go to war college (that's the Salvos bible college) If you don't feel it's your calling to work in a dog eat dog business environment, then it's probably not for you.

Peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,352.00
Faith
Christian
I'm a little confused, aren't most people in secular workplaces Christian anyway? Statistically Christians make up over half the Australian population so they should make up over half the workforce, so is the problem you don't want to work with anyone who is different?

Statistically yes, practising - no. The real figure is probably closer to 10%

Upvote 0

misfitforfaith

Oct 30, 2007
✟228.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It may be the trend of society to be part of the survival of the fittest environment, but I feel that we all have a choice on whether to be part of this culture, Christian or non-Christian.
Its no trend its an economic reality thats set in you dont have any choice because if you were to choose to take it easy you will be picked as being slow or unenthusiastic by your employer thus with the nature of the modern workforce risk being sacked just for that!.

As such I feel that Christians are capable of doing well in the financial industry without having to compromise their faith, although it could be a great struggle. But I personally just feel that I'm not suited to the environment nor think that I would find it fulfilling to do as a living, day in day out.
According to who the likes of Hillsong or other prosperity preaching centres. Personally i dont see any link between a financial career and being a christian however i am sure many prosperity cults do personally i think it all reeks of the Antichrist.

As for the rest of your story its all very lengthy however really something i cant relate to myself, i mean you speak about your tertiary education and career as though its some mission form God himself which is unlikely not the kind of off the wall attitude to have in serious and rational corporate workplace where they base things on facts and facts alone not pie in the sky claptrap.
I suggest you put your head down and just act the secular professional man like the majority as much as possible if you want to hold on to your job thats what i do!.:cool:

Upvote 0

misfitforfaith

Oct 30, 2007
✟228.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My dear young friend, permit a seniour to have a few words for you. First off take to heart the message of Trogdor the Burninator, it's very real in this world.

:o Dear old timer dont take this as an offence however you really have no idea about the modern workplace as you appear to have not been in it for sometime so i think id like to put this as kindly as possible with a grain of salt and leave your well meaning advise at that!:cool:

Upvote 0