Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a hot topic today. Especially in America. We are all so very wealthy compared to much of the world. I was taking a look at the idea of worldly wealth and abundance.
Abraham was very blessed, as were many of the OT Patriarchs. Yet in the New Testament it says that we should avoid coveting wealth, and material goods.

The word "coveting" jumped out at me. And so did the meaning of it all.
The difference between Abraham and most of us is the attention of ones mind, not so much the goods themselves.
The Father loves us and wants to bless us all richly so long as they give Him all of their time and attention, rather than thinking about the goods one has and how to get more.

He is rather warning us not to covet......not to spend time in our minds thinking about the things..... while ignoring the giver of life.
And this could include relationships, jobs, food, hobbies, sports, music......many things.

We spend time in our minds thinking about the things we love.
If we love the Father, then we spend most of our minds time in His presence in silent praise and prayer. And the best part is that we could do this driving down the road in a brand new Corvette C7 and He will be pleased.

But I have learned in my own life that spending the mind's time on anything other than God results in problems. From things as simple as running out of ink in your pen to more serious things like poverty, sickness and anxiety. He doesn't want to you lust after things in your mind because He wants to see you spared of extra problems. Because He loves us.

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is a hot topic today. Especially in America. We are all so very wealthy compared to much of the world. I was taking a look at the idea of worldly wealth and abundance.
Abraham was very blessed, as were many of the OT Patriarchs. Yet in the New Testament it says that we should avoid coveting wealth, and material goods.

The word "coveting" jumped out at me. And so did the meaning of it all.
The difference between Abraham and most of us is the attention of ones mind, not so much the goods themselves.
The Father loves us and wants to bless us all richly so long as they give Him all of their time and attention, rather than thinking about the goods one has and how to get more.

He is rather warning us not to covet......not to spend time in our minds thinking about the things..... while ignoring the giver of life.
And this could include relationships, jobs, food, hobbies, sports, music......many things.

We spend time in our minds thinking about the things we love.
If we love the Father, then we spend most of our minds time in His presence in silent praise and prayer. And the best part is that we could do this driving down the road in a brand new Corvette C7 and He will be pleased.

But I have learned in my own life that spending the mind's time on anything other than God results in problems. From things as simple as running out of ink in your pen to more serious things like poverty, sickness and anxiety. He doesn't want to you lust after things in your mind because He wants to see you spared of extra problems. Because He loves us.
I believe personally that if you can't look after every item and possession you own then you are coveting stuff.
Have a look at stuff you own and then really look at it. Are you looking after all your worldly possessions or are you just going to throw it away when it gets dirty, not so new, unfashionable etc. We are a throwaway society.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Shempster. Worldly goods mean a lot to many people, but luckily there are still some who realise too much is no good. In Matthew 22:35-40: Jesus gives us good advice:
" The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself. In verse 40 we are told: on these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters.
We have to give up being selfish and unloving, and start loving and caring for all we know and all we meet. That might not be easy to start, but Love is overcoming all wrongs and being selfish.
The Bible tells us: Be always kind and loving, and give up all selfish wishes and wants.
Jesus our Saviour died that we might live, if we follow Jesus we can do no wrong, and we will always be surrounded be Love and Compassion. Why not give it a try, Shempster?
I say this with love. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0