IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone, just thought I would introduce myself. I am 33, married with a 17 month old daughter (Isabella and my love for early punk music is the reason for the screen name) and live in North Carolina.

I am a recent atheist. I was raised Christian, around the age of 17 I read the Bible cover to cover and realized I could not reconcile my world view with the 'inerrant' word of God, so sent out of a 'quest' to find God. I read the Quar'an, the Book of Mormon, books on Hinduism, books on Buddhism, and I talk to leaders of all sects that I could find. I found a wonderful Sufi quote that resonated with me, "The religions of the world are like the panes of glass in a lantern, God is the single light that shines from within." So I was a pantheist for a around 8 years or so. After some more thought and searching, I realized that that a personal God wasn't logically possible, so I migrated to deism and a few months ago realized that my deist stance was just my way of holding on to a childhood belief structure that I no longer needed and stepped firmly into weak atheism.

I would like to make clear that I have no problem with personal belief, but I do have issues when that belief influences the public square. I find dogmatic beliefs to be dangerous in today's multi-cultural world. That is one reason I am here. To fight something, one must first understand it. I have not been Christian for 15 years or so and I forget the reasons that I believed.

And to be one hundred percent honest, I would like to believe. I have known some very wise and serene people that attribute their wisdom and serenity to God. I envy that sense of peace. But I cannot force myself to believe in any God that I have found. Maybe I can find him here.

Reactions: MrFreshdew

Rut

All creation points to the almighty Creator.
Oct 31, 2005
Norway
✟56,960.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
CharmWelcome.gif

Upvote 0

AxionEsti

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
✟25,956.00
Marital Status
Private
Search for the true Church, the one that Christ brought forth that is still with us today. Church history taught me a lot about Christianity. The stuff we learn today on TV and radio, reading the latest pop book on "spirituality" doesn't shine a candle to what the first Christians knew and experienced.

Hope you find your way!

Welcome to this forum. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brachah

Legend
Dec 4, 2006
✟39,166.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone, just thought I would introduce myself. I am 33, married with a 17 month old daughter (Isabella and my love for early punk music is the reason for the screen name) and live in North Carolina.

I am a recent atheist. I was raised Christian, around the age of 17 I read the Bible cover to cover and realized I could not reconcile my world view with the 'inerrant' word of God, so sent out of a 'quest' to find God. I read the Quar'an, the Book of Mormon, books on Hinduism, books on Buddhism, and I talk to leaders of all sects that I could find. I found a wonderful Sufi quote that resonated with me, "The religions of the world are like the panes of glass in a lantern, God is the single light that shines from within." So I was a pantheist for a around 8 years or so. After some more thought and searching, I realized that that a personal God wasn't logically possible, so I migrated to deism and a few months ago realized that my deist stance was just my way of holding on to a childhood belief structure that I no longer needed and stepped firmly into weak atheism.

I would like to make clear that I have no problem with personal belief, but I do have issues when that belief influences the public square. I find dogmatic beliefs to be dangerous in today's multi-cultural world. That is one reason I am here. To fight something, one must first understand it. I have not been Christian for 15 years or so and I forget the reasons that I believed.

And to be one hundred percent honest, I would like to believe. I have known some very wise and serene people that attribute their wisdom and serenity to God. I envy that sense of peace. But I cannot force myself to believe in any God that I have found. Maybe I can find him here.
welcome to cf

Upvote 0