Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
I attend a church that calls itself a Church of Christ, which is not a listed faith group, so I classified myself as other.

Many at my church regard God as a spirit. They define spirit as a thing (or being or entity) that thinks, feels and wills. God thinks feels and wills so God must be a spirit.

Is that an idea that Fundamentalists can accept?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I attend a church that calls itself a Church of Christ, which is not a listed faith group, so I classified myself as other.

Many at my church regard God as a spirit. They define spirit as a thing (or being or entity) that thinks, feels and wills. God thinks feels and wills so God must be a spirit.

Well they got that right.

John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Upvote 0

Champollion

Dec 24, 2017
Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
Well they got that right.

John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Many of my church look to the Bible and more specifically to Jesus as a source of information about God. If Jesus said so, it must be true. God is a spirit.

Also, God is a personal spirit, which means he is a self-conscious and self-directing spirit. Some object the the word, personal, but as yet, they have not offered a better word.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Just a question here.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Church of Christ is listed here, except it is under a different name.

Are you aware that the "Church of Christ" historically is the "Restoration Church"?

"Churches of Christ are autonomous Christian congregations associated with one another through distinct beliefs and practices. Represented chiefly in the United States and one of several branches to develop out of the American Restoration Movement, they claim Biblical precedent for their doctrine and practice and trace their heritage back to the early Christian church as described in the New Testament."

Source

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many of my church look to the Bible and more specifically to Jesus as a source of information about God. If Jesus said so, it must be true. God is a spirit.

Quite right, God the Holy Spirit is a Spirit.

Also, God is a personal spirit, which means he is a self-conscious and self-directing spirit. Some object the word, personal, but as yet, they have not offered a better word.

I will say this, you don't have to look "to Jesus as a source of information about God".

The trinity, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are seen at the very beginning of the Bible.

The Old Testament is full of scriptures about all three.

he is a self-conscious and self-directing spirit.

Now I'm trying to figure out just what you mean by this.

Now I don't know, but I'd say in a way, that is incorrect.

Jesus said:

"The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise." -Jn. 5:19 (KJV)

Jesus said He could nothing but what He seen the Father do. Seems to me, if that rule applied to Jesus, it would apply to the Holy Spirit as well.

Now Catholics, and some of the Restoration Church would argue, but Jesus told the disciples just exactly what the work of the Holy Spirit would be, after He departed saying:

"It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you." -Jn. 16:7-15 (KJV)

That is how I see it.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Champollion

Dec 24, 2017
Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
Just a question here.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Church of Christ is listed here, except it is under a different name.

Are you aware that the "Church of Christ" historically is the "Restoration Church"?

"Churches of Christ are autonomous Christian congregations associated with one another through distinct beliefs and practices. Represented chiefly in the United States and one of several branches to develop out of the American Restoration Movement, they claim Biblical precedent for their doctrine and practice and trace their heritage back to the early Christian church as described in the New Testament."

Source

God Bless

Till all are one.

I had never heard the term, Restoration Church, but Albion posted in posting #2 that this website classifies Church of Christ as Restoration Church, so I posted over there.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I had never heard the term, Restoration Church, but Albion posted in posting #2 that this website classifies Church of Christ as Restoration Church, so I posted over there.

One thing you should know, most of the Church of Christ members I have dealt with, follow the rule that the Old Testament, the Gospels, and Acts, don't apply to us today.

They usually teach only from the Epistles. (Everything past the book of Acts)

Just so you'll know.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Champollion

Dec 24, 2017
Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
Quite right, God the Holy Spirit is a Spirit.

I will say this, you don't have to look "to Jesus as a source of information about God".

The trinity, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are seen at the very beginning of the Bible.

The Old Testament is full of scriptures about all three.

Now I'm trying to figure out just what you mean by this.

Now I don't know, but I'd say in a way, that is incorrect.

Jesus said:

"The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise." -Jn. 5:19 (KJV)

Jesus said He could nothing but what He seen the Father do. Seems to me, if that rule applied to Jesus, it would apply to the Holy Spirit as well.

Now Catholics, and some of the Restoration Church would argue, but Jesus told the disciples just exactly what the work of the Holy Spirit would be, after He departed saying:

"It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you." -Jn. 16:7-15 (KJV)

That is how I see it.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Many of my fellow parishioners have a simple answer to the question, "Where do we look for knowledge of God?" I expected the answer to be, "The Bible." However, their first answer is, "Anywhere."

About self conscious and self directing. If God is not self conscious, he won't know who he is; and if God is not self directing, he won't know where he is going.

I have a daughter, who attends a Catholic Church. Her daughter, my grand daughter, says that according to the catechism God is everywhere, so maybe he doesn't need to know where he is going because he is already there.

Upvote 0

Champollion

Dec 24, 2017
Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
One thing you should know, most of the Church of Christ members I have dealt with, follow the rule that the Old Testament, the Gospels, and Acts, don't apply to us today.

They usually teach only from the Epistles. (Everything past the book of Acts)

Just so you'll know.

God Bless

Till all are one.

We must not be a typical Restoration-type congregation. After we have looked "anywhere," we look to the actions of God. I'm not really clear about how we know about the actions of God, but I believe it includes things like creating and ordering the world and demanding the sacrifice of Issac and Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We must not be a typical Restoration-type congregation. After we have looked "anywhere," we look to the actions of God. I'm not really clear about how we know about the actions of God, but I believe it includes things like creating and ordering the world and demanding the sacrifice of Issac and Jesus.

Well, in the area where I live, that is the way most Restoration (Church of Christ) teach.

Now perhaps I am looking at it differently, but I don't see God demanding the death of Christ.

Jesus knew the moment He left heaven, what His end would be. (cf. 1 Pet. 1:20)

To reconcile us to God. (2 Cor. 5:18)

To show God's and His love for us. (Jn. 3:16; Rom. 5:8)

To fulfill in the law, what we could not. (Gal. 3:13)

To put away our sins, something the OT sacrifices could never do. (Heb. 10:4)

To become our "substitute". (1 Pet. 2:24)

Yes, God did demand the sacrifice of Issac, but that was a test of faith. (Gen. 22:12)

God did not demand Jesus' death. Jesus, being God, knew the end. (Jn. 10:17-18)

He went freely.

Sorry, I guess I have a different view.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Champollion

Dec 24, 2017
Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, in the area where I live, that is the way most Restoration (Church of Christ) teach.

Now perhaps I am looking at it differently, but I don't see God demanding the death of Christ.

Jesus knew the moment He left heaven, what His end would be. (cf. 1 Pet. 1:20)

To reconcile us to God. (2 Cor. 5:18)

To show God's and His love for us. (Jn. 3:16; Rom. 5:8)

To fulfill in the law, what we could not. (Gal. 3:13)

To put away our sins, something the OT sacrifices could never do. (Heb. 10:4)

To become our "substitute". (1 Pet. 2:24)

Yes, God did demand the sacrifice of Issac, but that was a test of faith. (Gen. 22:12)

God did not demand Jesus' death. Jesus, being God, knew the end. (Jn. 10:17-18)

He went freely.

Sorry, I guess I have a different view.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Instead of demand, you could say polite request, but even if God said please, from a human standpoint it is still a demand.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My friend,

Be sure to check the beliefs of the Church of Christ.

The Restored April 6, 1830 says:

"Basic Beliefs
Articles of Faith and Practice
1. We believe in God the Eternal Father, who only is Supreme; Creator of the universe; Ruler and Judge of all; unchangeable and without respect of persons.
(Isa 45:15-21; Mal 3:6; Rev 20:11-13; Mi 8:19)

2. We believe in Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God, the manifestation of God in flesh, who lived, suffered, and died for all mankind; whom we own as our only Leader, Witness and Commander.
(John 5:19-24; Heb 1:1-14; Al 9:54-55; 3 Ne 4:44-49)

3. We believe in the Holy Ghost, the Spirit of Truth, the Comforter, which searcheth the deep things of God, brings to our minds things which are past, reveals things to come, and is the medium by which we receive the revelation of Jesus Christ.
(John 14:15-18, 26, 15:26, 16:13; Mi 10:3-7)

4. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins and not for Adam's transgression, and that as a consequence of the atonement of Christ "all little children are alive in Christ, and also all they that are without the law. For the power of redemption cometh on all they that have no law; wherefore, he that is not condemned, or he that is under no condemnation, can not repent; and unto such, baptism availeth nothing."
(Mi 8:25-26) (Rom 2:6, 12, 13; Mos 1:107; Mi 8:25-26)

5. We believe that through the atonement of Christ all men may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel; viz. : Faith in God and in the Lord Jesus Christ; Repentance and Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; Laying on of Hands for: (a) Ordination; (b) Blessing of Children; (c) Confirmation and the Gift of the Holy Ghost; (d) Healing of the Sick.
(John 3:16-17; Hel 5:69-72, 6:1-2; 2 Ne 13:12-17; Mi 8:29; (a) Acts 13:1-3; Mi 3:1-3; (b) Mark 10:13-16; 3 Ne 8:20-27; (c) Acts 8:14-17; Mi 2:1-3; (d) Mark 16:17-18; Jas 5:14-16)

6. We believe in the literal second coming and millennial reign of Jesus Christ; in the resurrection of the Dead, and in Eternal Judgment; that men will be rewarded or punished according to the good or evil they may have done.
(Mat 16:27; Rev 20 : 1-6, 12-15, 22: 12; 1 Ne 7:55-62; 2 Ne 12:87-99; A 19:66-69)

7. We believe in the powers and gifts of the everlasting Gospel; viz. : The word of wisdom; the word of knowledge; the gift of faith; the gift of healing; working of miracles; prophecy; discerning of spirits; divers kinds of tongues; interpretation of tongues.
(Acts 2:4-11; I Cor 12:1-11; Mi 10:8-14, 18)

8. We believe the fruit of the spirit to be love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance. (Gal 5:22-23)

9. We believe that in the Bible is contained the word of God, that the Book of Mormon is an added witness for Christ, and that these contain the "fullness of the gospel."
(BC 44:13) (Ezek 37:15-20; 1 Ne 3:157-166, 191-196;)

10. We believe in the principle of continuous revelation; that the canon of scripture is not full, that God inspires men in every age and among all people, and that He speaks when, where, and through whom He may choose.
(Amos 3: 7; Acts 2: 17-18; 2 Pet 1 : 21 ; 1 Ne 1:82-83)

11. We believe that where there are six or more regularly baptized members, one of whom is an elder, there the Church exists with full power of church extension when acting in harmony with the law of God.
(Acts 14:23; Outline Hist p. 35; Ref Bill #1, 1960)

12. We believe that a man must be called of God by revelation, and ordained by those having authority, to enable him to preach the gospel and administer the ordinances thereof.
(Luke 6:12-16; John 3:27; Acts 13:1-4; Rom 10:15; Heb 5:4)

13. We believe in the same church organization as existed in the time of Christ and His Apostles. The highest office in the church is that of an apostle, of whom there are twelve, who constitute special witnesses for Jesus Christ. They have the missionary supervision and the general watchcare of all of the churches.
(1 Cor 12:28; Eph 4:11-16; 1 Ne 3:115)

14. The primary function of the general church, of which each local church is a component part, is missionary and the building up and extension of the Kingdom of God in all the world.
(Mat 24:14; Mark 16:15-18)

15. We believe that local churches should govern their own affairs, and that general church officials should not dominate or interfere therewith. On invitation such general officers may, with propriety, give counsel and assistance. Local congregations are subject to the Articles of Faith and Practice and must be governed thereby.
(Ref Bill #2, 1935, par 3-8)

16. We believe the Church of Christ comprehends the true brotherhood of man where each esteems his brother as himself and wherein the divine command to "love your neighbor as yourself" is demonstrated by the prevalence of social equality.
(Mat 22:36-40; Gal 5:14; 1 John 4:7-21; Mos 1:48-49; 3 Ne 12:11)

17. We believe that all men are stewards of their worldly possessions and goods and answerable to God both for how they are used and the manner in which they are secured. We believe that all men are also stewards of their time and talents and are accountable to God for how they are used. We are to pay tithes and offerings to the Church as required by God with the promise of His blessings. We define tithes as 1/10th of our increase. Offerings are donations above and beyond tithes. These tithes and offerings are to be used for the building up of the Kingdom of God in all nations, bringing all people to Jesus Christ through Baptism. (Mark 12:41-44; Malachi 3:8-12; Genesis 28:20-22; Genesis 14:20; Hebrews 7:4-6; Acts 10:1-4; 3rd Nephi 11:11-15; Mosiah 2:37, 42-44; Matthew 28:18-20; Jacob 2:22-24; Alma 10:8; Deuteronomy 14:22)

18. We believe that men should labor for their own support and that of their dependents. Ministers of the gospel are not absolved from this responsibility, but when chosen or appointed by the church to devote their entire time to missionary work, their families are to be provided for out of the general church funds. The admonition of Christ that the ministry should not provide purse or scrip for their journey, but go trusting in God and the people is applicable.
(Mat 10:9-10; Luke 22:35-36; 1 Cor 9:16-18; 1 Pet 5:2-3; Mos 9:59-62)

19. We believe that the temporal affairs of the general church are to be administered by the general bishopric under the direction of the general conferences of the church and under the supervision of the Council of Twelve. The temporal affairs of the local churches shall be administered by local bishops under the supervision and direction of the local congregations.
(Acts 6:2-6; Ref Bill #3, 1931)

20. We believe in the sanctity of marriage as established by the Lord in the beginning as being a union between one man and one woman. Any other type of relationship such as homosexuality, polygamy, multiplicity of marriages, common-law marriage and cohabiting are not sanctioned by God and are disharmonious with the plan for His creation. In case of a breach of this covenant by adultery (fornication), the innocent one may remarry
(Mark 10:6-9; Mat 5:31-32, 19: 3-9; 1 Cor. 7:10-11; 3 Nephi 5:80)

21. We are opposed to war. Men are not justified in taking up arms against their fellows except as a last resort in defense of their lives and to preserve their liberty.
(Al 20:47-52)

22. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel, and in the restoration of the ten lost tribes.
(Is 11:11-12; Jer 16:14-16, 31:10-12; Ezek 36:21-28; 3 Ne 10:1-7)

23. We believe a temple will be built in this generation, in Independence, Missouri, wherein Christ will reveal himself and endow his servants whom he chooses with power to preach the gospel in all the world to every kindred, tongue and people, that the promises of God to Israel may be fulfilled.
(Mic 4:1-2; Mal 3:1-4; 3 Ne 10:4; Eth 6:8)

24. We believe that a New Jerusalem shall be built upon this land "unto the remnant of the seed of Joseph. . . " ". . . which city shall be built, beginning at the Temple Lot."
(3 Ne 9:57-59, 10:1-4; Eth 6:6-8; Revelation to Joseph Smith given Sept, 22 & 23, 1832)

25. We believe that ministry and membership should abstain from the use of tobacco, intoxicating liquors and narcotics, and should not affiliate with any society which administers oaths or covenants in conflict with the law of God, or which interferes with their duties as free men and citizens.
(1 Cor 3:16-17; Eth 3:86-98)

Church of Christ

Now I understand that not all who call themselves "Church of Christ" follow the outline above. Just like the term "Baptist" encompasses both Northern and Southern, Free Will, and Independents.

Just cursory reading shows something that are within "scripture". (i.e.: The use of, and approval of, The Book of Mormon)

Please check out what your church says it believes.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Champollion

Dec 24, 2017
Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
My friend,

"Basic Beliefs
1. We believe in God the Eternal Father, who only is Supreme; Creator of the universe; Ruler and Judge of all; unchangeable and without respect of persons.

2. We believe in Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God, the manifestation of God in flesh, who lived, suffered, and died for all mankind; whom we own as our only Leader, Witness and Commander.

3. We believe in the Holy Ghost, the Spirit of Truth, the Comforter, which searcheth the deep things of God, brings to our minds things which are past, reveals things to come, and is the medium by which we receive the revelation of Jesus Christ.

4. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins and not for Adam's transgression, and that as a consequence of the atonement of Christ "all little children are alive in Christ, and also all they that are without the law. For the power of redemption cometh on all they that have no law; wherefore, he that is not condemned, or he that is under no condemnation, can not repent; and unto such, baptism availeth nothing."

5. We believe that through the atonement of Christ all men may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel; viz. : Faith in God and in the Lord Jesus Christ; Repentance and Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; Laying on of Hands for: (a) Ordination; (b) Blessing of Children; (c) Confirmation and the Gift of the Holy Ghost; (d) Healing of the Sick.
(John 3:16-17; Hel 5:69-72, 6:1-2; 2 Ne 13:12-17; Mi 8:29; (a) Acts 13:1-3; Mi 3:1-3; (b) Mark 10:13-16; 3 Ne 8:20-27; (c) Acts 8:14-17; Mi 2:1-3; (d) Mark 16:17-18; Jas 5:14-16)

6. We believe in the literal second coming and millennial reign of Jesus Christ; in the resurrection of the Dead, and in Eternal Judgment; that men will be rewarded or punished according to the good or evil they may have done.
(Mat 16:27; Rev 20 : 1-6, 12-15, 22: 12; 1 Ne 7:55-62; 2 Ne 12:87-99; A 19:66-69)

7. We believe in the powers and gifts of the everlasting Gospel; viz. : The word of wisdom; the word of knowledge; the gift of faith; the gift of healing; working of miracles; prophecy; discerning of spirits; divers kinds of tongues; interpretation of tongues.

8. We believe the fruit of the spirit to be love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance. (Gal 5:22-23)

9. We believe that in the Bible is contained the word of God, that the Book of Mormon is an added witness for Christ, and that these contain the "fullness of the gospel."

10. We believe in the principle of continuous revelation; that the canon of scripture is not full, that God inspires men in every age and among all people, and that He speaks when, where, and through whom He may choose.

11. We believe that where there are six or more regularly baptized members, one of whom is an elder, there the Church exists with full power of church extension when acting in harmony with the law of God.

12. We believe that a man must be called of God by revelation, and ordained by those having authority, to enable him to preach the gospel and administer the ordinances thereof.

13. We believe in the same church organization as existed in the time of Christ and His Apostles. The highest office in the church is that of an apostle, of whom there are twelve, who constitute special witnesses for Jesus Christ. They have the missionary supervision and the general watchcare of all of the churches.

14. The primary function of the general church, of which each local church is a component part, is missionary and the building up and extension of the Kingdom of God in all the world.

15. We believe that local churches should govern their own affairs, and that general church officials should not dominate or interfere therewith. On invitation such general officers may, with propriety, give counsel and assistance. Local congregations are subject to the Articles of Faith and Practice and must be governed thereby.

16. We believe the Church of Christ comprehends the true brotherhood of man where each esteems his brother as himself and wherein the divine command to "love your neighbor as yourself" is demonstrated by the prevalence of social equality.

17. We believe that all men are stewards of their worldly possessions and goods and answerable to God both for how they are used and the manner in which they are secured. We believe that all men are also stewards of their time and talents and are accountable to God for how they are used. We are to pay tithes and offerings to the Church as required by God with the promise of His blessings. We define tithes as 1/10th of our increase. Offerings are donations above and beyond tithes. These tithes and offerings are to be used for the building up of the Kingdom of God in all nations, bringing all people to Jesus Christ through Baptism. (Mark 12:41-44; Malachi 3:8-12; Genesis 28:20-22; Genesis 14:20; Hebrews 7:4-6; Acts 10:1-4; 3rd Nephi 11:11-15; Mosiah 2:37, 42-44; Matthew 28:18-20; Jacob 2:22-24; Alma 10:8; Deuteronomy 14:22)

18. We believe that men should labor for their own support and that of their dependents. Ministers of the gospel are not absolved from this responsibility, but when chosen or appointed by the church to devote their entire time to missionary work, their families are to be provided for out of the general church funds. The admonition of Christ that the ministry should not provide purse or scrip for their journey, but go trusting in God and the people is applicable.

19. We believe that the temporal affairs of the general church are to be administered by the general bishopric under the direction of the general conferences of the church and under the supervision of the Council of Twelve. The temporal affairs of the local churches shall be administered by local bishops under the supervision and direction of the local congregations.

20. We believe in the sanctity of marriage as established by the Lord in the beginning as being a union between one man and one woman. Any other type of relationship such as homosexuality, polygamy, multiplicity of marriages, common-law marriage and cohabiting are not sanctioned by God and are disharmonious with the plan for His creation. In case of a breach of this covenant by adultery (fornication), the innocent one may remarry

21. We are opposed to war. Men are not justified in taking up arms against their fellows except as a last resort in defense of their lives and to preserve their liberty.

22. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel, and in the restoration of the ten lost tribes.

23. We believe a temple will be built in this generation, in Independence, Missouri, wherein Christ will reveal himself and endow his servants whom he chooses with power to preach the gospel in all the world to every kindred, tongue and people, that the promises of God to Israel may be fulfilled.

24. We believe that a New Jerusalem shall be built upon this land "unto the remnant of the seed of Joseph. . . " ". . . which city shall be built, beginning at the Temple Lot."
(3 Ne 9:57-59, 10:1-4; Eth 6:6-8; Revelation to Joseph Smith given Sept, 22 & 23, 1832)

25. We believe that ministry and membership should abstain from the use of tobacco, intoxicating liquors and narcotics, and should not affiliate with any society which administers oaths or covenants in conflict with the law of God, or which interferes with their duties as free men and citizens.

Church of Christ

Now I understand that not all who call themselves "Church of Christ" follow the outline above. Just like the term "Baptist" encompasses both Northern and Southern, Free Will, and Independents.

Just cursory reading shows something that are within "scripture". (i.e.: The use of, and approval of, The Book of Mormon)

God Bless

Till all are one.

I don't know much about Mormons, but I sure I'm not one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know much about Mormons, but I sure I'm not one.

The Restoration Church, Church of Christ, as outlined above, also believe that one can become an Apostle.

That I do not accept also.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
My friend,

"Basic Beliefs

Church of Christ

God Bless

Till all are one.
For the record: this church (website Church of Christ) has no association with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (whose members are nicknamed 'LDS' or 'Mormons'). Rather, LDS would view this group as an apostate spin-off.

Upvote 0

Champollion

Dec 24, 2017
Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
The Restoration Church, Church of Christ, as outlined above, also believe that one can become an Apostle.

That I do not accept also.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Well, my Church of Christ is obviously not the same as the Restoration Church, Church of Christ. As far as I know, we are not associated with a national organization. Maybe that is why we don't have a faith group here on this website.

• Agree
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0