About confession...

H

HalupkiMonster

I just returned from Confession. While it was a great experience, the priest administering the sacrament only heard one of my sins. He gave me great advise, but went directly into the absolution before I had time to tall him anything else.

Since I didn't have the opportunity to tell him the rest of my sins, am I absolved from them through the prayers of absolution?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,669,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just returned from Confession. While it was a great experience, the priest administering the sacrament only heard one of my sins. He gave me great advise, but went directly into the absolution before I had time to tall him anything else.

Since I didn't have the opportunity to tell him the rest of my sins, am I absolved from them through the prayers of absolution?
Yes. I asked the same question. You had every intention of confessing it so you are absolved.

Upvote 0
H

HalupkiMonster

Another question - is it okay to keep a tiny journal of my sins? Not to be overly scrupulous, but in an effort not to forget to mention any mortal sins that I won't remember until my car ride home (you know this has happened to you.)

I was discouraged from this in the EOC (but did it anyway because my initial confessor encouraged it.) Is this okay?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,669,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another question - is it okay to keep a tiny journal of my sins? Not to be overly scrupulous, but in an effort not to forget to mention any mortal sins that I won't remember until my car ride home (you know this has happened to you.)

I was discouraged from this in the EOC (but did it anyway because my initial confessor encouraged it.) Is this okay?
Sure as long as it is used for just confession so you do not forget. Some people get really scrupulous & paranoid & that is a sin in itself.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,669,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Great. I have no desire to write down my each and every flaw. I just find a confession where I puke everything out to be so extremely refreshing.
Jus ramble them off & let the priest take the lead if he wants you to expand on any particular thing.

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Beware of scrupulosity; most sin is NOT mortal.

CCC 1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”131

Speak with your priest if you have questions/concerns; he can further advise you as to what is...or isn't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Confess what is heavy in your heart. If you're not sure what you did was wrong, you can definitely talk with the priest. If you forgot to say something to a priest, you're still in the clear.

Here's a little something I was taught in case I forgot to bring up something with the priest after I was done telling what I did wrong:

"I am sorry for these sins and the sins I may have forgotten and I ask the Lord's pardon for them."

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Confess what is heavy in your heart. If you're not sure what you did was wrong, you can definitely talk with the priest. If you forgot to say something to a priest, you're still in the clear.

Here's a little something I was taught in case I forgot to bring up something with the priest after I was done telling what I did wrong:

This is excellent advice.
Also, I wouldn't keep a "sin journal", but it is appropriate to write down the sins you wish to confess while you make your examination of conscience prior to Confessing.

Upvote 0
H

HalupkiMonster

Thank you, all! This thread has been very helpful.

A sin journal may be too tempting for me to obsess over.

I think a good alternative may be to go to confession more often. I understand that this also can be tempting to obsess over, but I simply can't take it when I'm feeling so close to the Lord after confession, then I choose to sin and have to wait weeks for confession. I think I'll go every three weeks instead of once per month.

Brooklyn_Knight, that is an excellent addition to add to my confession. I'll write it in my prayer book!!!

Thanks! Have a blessed Lent!

Upvote 0
H

HalupkiMonster

I used to go to confession every week :(

I was in a messed up place in my life dealing with habitual sin

I would love to go every week. This is just super discouraged in the Eastern Church, because the priests I've spoken to don't want faithful to become overly crazy about it.

I do my best to go to daily mass when my schedule allows, which is Monday, Wednesday and Friday (not counting two masses on Sundays.)

If I have a particularly difficult time with sin one week, I'll stop going to Church for the rest of the month until I can get to confession. Maybe I should go to confession more often, since I'm receiving Holy Communion so often.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chi Rho

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi.
Sep 17, 2008
✟7,792.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I would love to go every week. This is just super discouraged in the Eastern Church, because the priests I've spoken to don't want faithful to become overly crazy about it.

I do my best to go to daily mass when my schedule allows, which is Monday, Wednesday and Friday (not counting two masses on Sundays.)

If I have a particularly difficult time with sin one week, I'll stop going to Church for the rest of the month until I can get to confession. Maybe I should go to confession more often, since I'm receiving Holy Communion so often.

You're still obliged go to Mass every Sunday, even in Mortal Sin.

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Halupki, I have had this occur on a number of occasions with Holy Priests (ie Jesus' Holy Appointed).

Including the fact that I have recalled sins driving home.

I start praying to both Jesus and our Heavenly Mother Mary at home with a Glory Be to The Father, The Hail Mary and the Our Father or a Decade of The Holy Rosary asking Jesus to forgive me (after I fully open up my heart in remorse) for those sins not confessed.

I then wait for Jesus to have time to listen.

Jesus communicates with me and expresses His Holy wishes for my Penance (in the interim period).

Until I return to Confession again.

This way, if anything happens to me in the interim period before returning to Confession in the following few days ie dying or being unable to attend Confession, our Heavenly Father knows that I have done the 'right' thing from my heart.

Kindest wishes your Sister in Jesus Christ our Saviour

Upvote 0

kamiller1972

May 31, 2012
Mansfield, LA
✟7,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you have an IPhone, Nook, or Kindle, there is a great app that allows you to list the sins you wish to confess and then after they have been absolved, you just hit "Erase Sins" and that is the end of it for that confession session...it's called the Confession App in case anyone is interested. :)

Upvote 0