Abortion: the core issue and criterion of Christian politics.

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
So do you believe the punishment for having an abortion, preforming an abortion, or forcing one to have an abortion, should be the death penalty?
No, just the sentence normally given for murdering a baby.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree and that is why I vote straight republican -
but I can't vote for trump -
can you?
Unfortunately I don't have a choice, we're talking about a seat for the justice of the supreme court, that would have pretty big influence on abortions laws.

Upvote 0

greenguzzi

Post-Evangelical, Social Anarchist, One of The Way
Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
The idea of soul and when a body has a soul is very much related to their idea of when and if abortion is Ever an acceptable thing. Whether it should be illegal because it is murder of a person or not.
This thread is in the "General Politics" section of the forum, but it's bogged down by discussing metaphysics.
Politics is about the practical process of making decisions about society. Surely we can attempt to tackle the practicalities of the subject without agreeing on what the soul is, or how it works. If the thread continues like this I'd be tempted to request that the mods move it to the "Philosophy" section. Let's be honest, we are never going to agree on the nature of the soul.

I'm at one extreme; I'm not convinced the soul even exists, not in the way that some here seem to define it anyway. However I'm happy to assume (for the sake of getting on with real discussion) that it does exist, and that a newly formed zygote has one. So why don't we all compromise like this, and move on to the subject at hand. We can discuss the soul elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: SepiaAndDust
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It's in Genesis when God made Adam a living soul.
Any number of theories advanced by anyone besides what God himself says is personal uninformed opinion. The Bible has been clear about soul from the beginning.
That was the FIRST soul, just as Adam's was the FIRST body. You wouldn't say that your child was made by God out of the dust? No it is procreated by you and your spouse. So there is no reason to assume that the soul is made the same way either. We do not know from where the soul now comes.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
This thread is in the "General Politics" section of the forum, but it's bogged down by discussing metaphysics.
You are correct. I will ignore future posts on this subtopic.

Reactions: greenguzzi
Upvote 0