Abortion: the core issue and criterion of Christian politics.

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
psuché: breath, the soul
Original Word: ψυχή, ῆς, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: psuché
Phonetic Spelling: (psoo-khay')
Short Definition: the soul, life, self
Definition: (a) the vital breath, breath of life, (b) the human soul, (c) the soul as the seat of affections and will, (d) the self, (e) a human person, an individual.

Like I said, psyche.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cite the specific scripture you're referring to, please.
I already did just a few posts back.....
Gen 2:7 And Yehovah God formeth the man--dust from the ground, and breatheth into his nostrils breath of life, and the man becometh a living creature (nephesh).
Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul (nephesh).

Animals are also living souls (nephesh).
Gen 1:20 And God saith, `Let the waters teem with the teeming living creature (nephesh), and fowl let fly on the earth on the face of the expanse of the heavens.'

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Like I said, psyche.
We're discussing what Strong's Greek says because we're discussing soul.Life.Self.
From Strong's below. Transliteration: psuché
5590. psuché ►

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
soul, life, self
From psucho; breath, i.e. (by implication) spirit, abstractly or concretely (the animal sentient principle only; thus distinguished on the one hand from pneuma, which is the rational and immortal soul; and on the other from zoe, which is mere vitality, even of plants: these terms thus exactly correspond respectively to the Hebrew nephesh, ruwach andchay) -- heart (+ -ily), life, mind, soul, + us, + you.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Gen 2:7 And Yehovah God formeth the man--dust from the ground, and breatheth into his nostrils breath of life, and the man becometh a living creature (nephesh).
Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul (nephesh).

Gen 1:20 And God saith, `Let the waters teem with the teeming living creature (nephesh), and fowl let fly on the earth on the face of the expanse of the heavens.'

Awesome! Sorry that I missed your post, Hank.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married

Genesis 2:7
JPS Tanakh 1917
Then the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
We're discussing what Strong's Greek says because we're discussing soul.Life.Self.
5590. psuché ►

soul, life, self
From psucho; breath, i.e. (by implication) spirit, abstractly or concretely (the animal sentient principle only; thus distinguished on the one hand from pneuma, which is the rational and immortal soul; and on the other from zoe, which is mere vitality, even of plants: these terms thus exactly correspond respectively to the Hebrew nephesh, ruwach andchay) -- heart (+ -ily), life, mind, soul, + us, + you.

And none of that contradicts what I said in the post you disagreed with:

Wait a minute. That's the Greek word psyche (psykhe).

It originally meant "breath", and evolved from there to mean "life force", "thought", or "animation". Whenever it was used in the OT, it was a translation into Greek from the Hebrew.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Genesis 2:7
JPS Tanakh 1917
Then the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

So did all of the other living creatures, like fish and birds (not plants, though).

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is, she has just used the English spelling rather than the Greek.
I guess you missed it. The member had posted the Greek first in their posting. And it was Sepia and Dust who argued their misunderstanding pertained to that Greek word translating to Psyche.
The Strong's entries show that members original Greek that they posted. And that it refers to soul, spirit, self.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
5590. psuché ►

soul, life, self
The problem is, as has been stated by many past theologians, is that 'psucho' and 'pneuma' appear to be in many cases used interchangeably. The only scripture I know where both are used in the same passage is...

1Th_5:23 and the God of the peace Himself sanctify you wholly, and may your whole spirit, and soul, and body, be preserved unblameably in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Reactions: SepiaAndDust
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I guess you missed it. The member had posted the Greek first in their posting. And it was Sepia and Dust who argued their misunderstanding pertained to that Greek word translating to Psyche.
The Strong's entries show that members original Greek that they posted. And that it refers to soul, spirit, self.

But primarily (and originally) to "breath". As I said.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
And none of that contradicts what I said in the post you disagreed with:
Not after you edited your origininal remarks once the Strong's passages were posted to rebut your first claim that the word stood for Psyche. Of course not. But before your edit 45 minutes ago when you simply stated the word meant Psyche, it absolutely did refute what you claimed.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not after you edited your origininal remarks once the Strong's passages were posted to rebut your first claim that the word stood for Psyche. Of course not. But before your edit 45 minutes ago when you simply stated the word meant Psyche, it absolutely did refute what you claimed.

I edited because I got you confused with Constantine. Since I was replying to her, I removed the comment about your post.

The word is psyche. I've never, not once, said otherwise.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
The problem is, as has been stated by many past theologians, is that 'psucho' and 'pneuma' appear to be in many cases used interchangeably. The only scripture I know where both are used in the same passage is...

1Th_5:23 and the God of the peace Himself sanctify you wholly, and may your whole spirit, and soul, and body, be preserved unblameably in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ;
I'm afraid the Strong's entry isn't showing on your browser. I hope this helps. What we're discussing is soul. Spirit. Self. Life. Used interchangeably, psucho, pneuma, still mean the same thing. Which S&D disputes because they do not believe , well you've read what they believe.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm afraid the Strong's entry isn't showing on your browser. I hope this helps. What we're discussing is soul. Spirit. Self. Life. Used interchangeably, psucho, pneuma, still mean the same thing. Which S&D disputes because they do not believe , well you've read what they believe.
You presume too much, biblehub shows up just fine, and I not only have e-sword with Strong's on my computer but have a hard copy of Strong's in my library which I have had for almost 40 yrs. I am not new to this study of spirit, soul, and body and have discussed with many Christians.
Here is the problem, if spirit and soul (nephesh and ruach) are exactly the same thing, as it appears that they are, especially in Ecclesiastes, why did Paul refer to them as being separate? But that is for a different thread.
Is a fertilized egg a living soul, is the question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VanillaSunflowers

Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
You presume too much, biblehub shows up just fine, and I not only have e-sword with Strong's on my computer but have a hard copy of Strong's in my library which I have had for almost 40 yrs. I am not new to this study of spirit, soul, and body and have discussed with many Christians.
Here is the problem, if spirit and soul (nephesh and ruach) are exactly the same thing, as it appears that they are, especially in Ecclesiastes, why did Paul refer to them as being separate?
Ecclesiastes 12:7 “The dust [of his body] returns to the earth, just as it was, and the spirit returns to the true God who gave it.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Wait a minute. That's the Greek word psyche (psykhe).

It originally meant "breath", and evolved from there to mean "life force", "thought", or "animation". Whenever it was used in the OT, it was a translation into Greek from the Hebrew.
"Soul" and "life" are also the same word in Hebrew.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes it is, she has just used the English spelling rather than the Greek.

He. ;)

ψυχή
ψ = Ψ = psi
υ = Υ = upsilon
χ = Χ = chi
η = Η = eta

Notice the Upsilon, which can be written as sort of a u or sort of a Y. Modern transliterations would put it as a breathy oo sound, like it's got a hint of an h in front of it (see words like hyper-, which retained the h sound).

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ecclesiastes 12:7 “The dust [of his body] returns to the earth, just as it was, and the spirit returns to the true God who gave it.
Ecc 3:19 For an event is to the sons of man, and an event is to the beasts, even one event is to them; as the death of this, so is the death of that; and one spirit (ruach) is to all, and the advantage of man above the beast is nothing, for the whole is vanity.

The same as in the scripture you quoted, spirit is (ruach).

Reactions: SepiaAndDust
Upvote 0