Abortion of children with mental disabilities in the UK (and likely others)

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My cousin's baby boy was born with Down's Syndrome. They are in their early 20s, and the doctor encouraged them up until the week that the baby was born to have an abortion! Apparently, according to the UK health laws, technically the legal time that abortion is allowed is 24 weeks. That said, there are big gray areas in this - in that abortion IS allowed (up until the day the child is born!) for several reasons, including if there is substantial risk that the child would be born with serious physical or mental disabilities.

This breaks my heart to see this, both before I got to know my cousin's son - and especially now that I've seen the joy he has brought into this world, despite all the uncertainty.

If anyone is interested in reading about their experience, here is a blog that she is writing about their little boy, Caleb. Beauty in the Unexpected

++Lord have mercy!++

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Shieldmaiden4Christ said:
Lord have mercy! The sad thing is, they're always going to have to put up with the judgmental people who couldn't fathom carrying to term a child who wasn't "perfect". :(
I know... :-/ So far, Caleb has won over anyone he meets - but I worry about him, especially in the future. People can be extremely cruel...especially when they don't understand something. My cousin and our family want to help people not see her baby (and others who happen to have a disability) as a "Down's baby", but as a beautiful child, who just happens to have Down's syndrome. I pray that God helps them with this goal!

Upvote 0