Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Numbers 5

11 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

12 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, If any man's wife go aside, and commit a trespass against him,

13 And a man lie with her carnally, and it be hid from the eyes of her husband, and be kept close, and she be defiled, and there be no witness against her, neither she be taken with the manner;

14 And the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be defiled: or if the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be not defiled:

15 Then shall the man bring his wife unto the priest, and he shall bring her offering for her, the tenth part of an ephah of barley meal; he shall pour no oil upon it, nor put frankincense thereon; for it is an offering of jealousy, an offering of memorial, bringing iniquity to remembrance.

16 And the priest shall bring her near, and set her before the Lord:

17 And the priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel; and of the dust that is in the floor of the tabernacle the priest shall take, and put it into the water:

18 And the priest shall set the woman before the Lord, and uncover the woman's head, and put the offering of memorial in her hands, which is the jealousy offering: and the priest shall have in his hand the bitter water that causeth the curse:

19 And the priest shall charge her by an oath, and say unto the woman, If no man have lain with thee, and if thou hast not gone aside to uncleanness with another instead of thy husband, be thou free from this bitter water that causeth the curse:

20 But if thou hast gone aside to another instead of thy husband, and if thou be defiled, and some man have lain with thee beside thine husband:

21 Then the priest shall charge the woman with an oath of cursing, and the priest shall say unto the woman, The Lord make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the Lord doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell;

22 And this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make thy belly to swell, and thy thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen.

23 And the priest shall write these curses in a book, and he shall blot them out with the bitter water:

24 And he shall cause the woman to drink the bitter water that causeth the curse: and the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter.

25 Then the priest shall take the jealousy offering out of the woman's hand, and shall wave the offering before the Lord, and offer it upon the altar:

26 And the priest shall take an handful of the offering, even the memorial thereof, and burn it upon the altar, and afterward shall cause the woman to drink the water.

27 And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, that, if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people.

28 And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed.

29 This is the law of jealousies, when a wife goeth aside to another instead of her husband, and is defiled;

30 Or when the spirit of jealousy cometh upon him, and he be jealous over his wife, and shall set the woman before the Lord, and the priest shall execute upon her all this law.

31 Then shall the man be guiltless from iniquity, and this woman shall bear her iniquity.

Imagine all the death cause in that time due to woman drinking contaminated water to prove they had been faithful. Biblical DNA test that probable most women and unborn babies dies from.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Numbers 5

12 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, If any man's wife go aside, and commit a trespass against him,

13 And a man lie with her carnally, and it be hid from the eyes of her husband, and be kept close, and she be defiled, and there be no witness against her, neither she be taken with the manner;

14 And the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be defiled: or if the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be not defiled:

15 Then shall the man bring his wife unto the priest, and he shall bring her offering for her, the tenth part of an ephah of barley meal; he shall pour no oil upon it, nor put frankincense thereon; for it is an offering of jealousy, an offering of memorial, bringing iniquity to remembrance.

17 And the priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel; and of the dust that is in the floor of the tabernacle the priest shall take, and put it into the water:

18 And the priest shall set the woman before the Lord, and uncover the woman's head, and put the offering of memorial in her hands, which is the jealousy offering: and the priest shall have in his hand the bitter water that causeth the curse:

19 And the priest shall charge her by an oath, and say unto the woman, If no man have lain with thee, and if thou hast not gone aside to uncleanness with another instead of thy husband, be thou free from this bitter water that causeth the curse:

20 But if thou hast gone aside to another instead of thy husband, and if thou be defiled, and some man have lain with thee beside thine husband:

21 Then the priest shall charge the woman with an oath of cursing, and the priest shall say unto the woman, The Lord make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the Lord doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell;

22 And this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make thy belly to swell, and thy thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen.

23 And the priest shall write these curses in a book, and he shall blot them out with the bitter water:

24 And he shall cause the woman to drink the bitter water that causeth the curse: and the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter.

25 Then the priest shall take the jealousy offering out of the woman's hand, and shall wave the offering before the Lord, and offer it upon the altar:

26 And the priest shall take an handful of the offering, even the memorial thereof, and burn it upon the altar, and afterward shall cause the woman to drink the water.

27 And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, that, if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people.

28 And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed.

29 This is the law of jealousies, when a wife goeth aside to another instead of her husband, and is defiled;

30 Or when the spirit of jealousy cometh upon him, and he be jealous over his wife, and shall set the woman before the Lord, and the priest shall execute upon her all this law.

31 Then shall the man be guiltless from iniquity, and this woman shall bear her iniquity.

Imagine all the death cause in that time due to woman drinking contaminated water to prove they had been faithful. Biblical DNA test that probable most women and unborn babies dies from.
Welcome! Are you saying the Priest poisoned the woman? If this was so, both innocent and guilty would die. I think not. This is only a curse.

• Agree
Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That sounds like ergot poisoning . It a fungus that grows on rye . These Bronze Agers were superstitious enough to mistake that for proof of adultery simply on a possibly immature man’s say so . I’m glad women have civil rights nowadays

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Imagine all the death cause in that time due to woman drinking contaminated water to prove they had been faithful.
The innocent would come out as verse 28 says.

So, that was a supernatural test, with God controlling how it would come out.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It's impressive to me how people are so good at not even reading Scripture. Clearly Alibris didn't read the passage he quoted, and is going off what someone else told him.

Read the passage. Pregnancy is never mentioned, nor is pregnancy assumed. Nor is abortion mentioned, nor is it assumed.

Read the passage, the "bitter water" consisted of 2 ingredients: 1) water. 2) dust/dirt from the ground of the tabernacle. It wasn't poison. It was actually harmless in itself.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"mentioned"

To mention does not necessarily mean to approve or to disapprove.

Which scripture are you talking about, please?

Simon from Cyrene.
He sold Abortifacient for a living in the spice market along the Via De la crusa. (Way of the cross)

The theme taken from it should be that the weight of sins from abortion were so heavy that even though He died for them He couldn't carry them himself.

• Informative
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟453,908.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That sounds like ergot poisoning . It a fungus that grows on rye . These Bronze Agers were superstitious enough to mistake that for proof of adultery simply on a possibly immature man’s say so . I’m glad women have civil rights nowadays

Those bronze agers were dealing with God, Jesus was to come to this world from their people.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They were also dealing with ignorant superstitious and toxic behaviors and ideas that got grandfathered in and that some people still accept as valid like flat earth , separate creation, young earth , toxic patriarchal control of women and abusing non binaries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟453,908.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They were also dealing with ignorant superstitious and toxic behaviors and ideas that got grandfathered in and that some people still accept as valid like flat earth , separate creation, young earth , toxic patriarchal control of women and abusing non binaries.

If people takes figures of speech as flat earth proof then its not the bible fault,
also young earth can be debatable, God did created us though, even if evolution is involved somehow, God had an idea how humans would look like and made it possible, so our origin is not evolution but God,

also i don't know what is so toxic in 'love your wife as yourself and like christ loved the church' if there is bad example of husbands don't blame the bible, 'like christ loved the church' would mean a husband should even willing to die for her, also is God himself whom have a problem with sin, he is not discriminating against lgbt the same he is not discriminating against thiefs, liars, etc,
Jesus died for them but he may have an issue with sin.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Everything I mentioned are outright fantasies and/ or toxic behavior. That some people want to hold on to them is just weird as some of them are extremely harmful, especially the misogyny, evolution denial and homophobia

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟453,908.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everything I mentioned are outright fantasies and/ or toxic behavior. That some people want to hold on to them is just weird as some of them are extremely harmful, especially the misogyny, evolution denial and homophobia

The problem citing homophobia is that if gay 'things' are a sin, you are saying to them that live your life happy that nothing bad you are doing and you will be alright, which can be very harmful for them, more than the 'offense' of saying that they live in sin would not think?

Like i say people need to submit to a lot of other poeple and God all the time, that in itself is not a toxic situation. Love your wife as christ loved the church and treat them with care is not mysoginistic.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Telling women to be submissive is misogynistic. You’re telling an adult to act like a child or a mental defective .

abusing people over being non binary is like thinking harassment will change someone’s eye color. No matter how much you abuse you can’t really change them . The only thing you’d get is a confused denial and maybe self hatred. It’s better to leave them alone

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Telling women to be submissive is misogynistic. You’re telling an adult to act like a child or a mental defective .

abusing people over being non binary is like thinking harassment will change someone’s eye color. No matter how much you abuse you can’t really change them . The only thing you’d get is a confused denial and maybe self hatred. It’s better to leave them alone
I'm curious, what do you think of the Bible? Do you believe it's the Inspired Word of God? Do you think it's a reliable, but flawed book written by men without the influence of God where we should ignore parts of it because they are outdated? How do you determine what in the Bible is worth holding onto, and what parts we should toss out?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Bible has been edited , added to and had parts deleted so many times over the centuries that I have no trouble whatsoever ignoring the toxic things . Biblical inerrancy was never my belief nor one my church holds to. I’ve known that the Bible had been constantly changed since I was a 10 year old. Long before I was aware that my church didn’t accept biblical inerrancy either

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible has been edited , added to and had parts deleted so many times over the centuries that I have no trouble whatsoever ignoring the toxic things . Biblical inerrancy was never my belief nor one my church holds to. I’ve known that the Bible had been constantly changed since I was a 10 year old. Long before I was aware that my church didn’t accept biblical inerrancy either

So that Bible from 300AD is completely different than today's?

Other than being in Early Latin/Greek it sure seems the same to me.
Codex Sinaiticus - Home

Here...look for yourself.

But in the scriptures when just five of the 66 books would cost a year's wages the Jews sold the Samaritans purposefully altered Bibles....
And that was the cause of the civil war between the Jews and Samaritans.

So...
Exactly who changed the Bible? When? Where? Why? To what?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That must be nice. Take what you like, ignore what culture tells you is wrong, ignore anything that you disagree with. Too bad God wasn't powerful enough to give us something reliable! You're sort of able to set yourself up as God when you think about it, determining for yourself what's reliable and what's not. No wonder all you do is parrot secular culture in your posts.

Upvote 0

UnpopularOpinion

Oct 18, 2020
Wroclaw
✟13,398.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Numbers 5

She would only die or her offspring if she commited the sin , else she would be healed tho.
It was to stop the dubts of husband.
And she was worthy of death if she sinned , its just that she was poisoned instead of stoned because of no witnesses against her.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.