Jan 8, 2009
✟12,029.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This has come up a few times in the various abortion discussions...and is something I'm curious to explore a bit more.

Here is an article about down syndrome persons who are concerned about their place in society due to genetic testing. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/us/09down.html

Other disorders being brought to light are Huntington's, Tay Sachs, and other similar chromosomal disorders.

What are thoughts on abortion in these instances and the moral implications of prenatal screening? For those of you who are pro-life, would you get a pre-natal screening even if you know you wouldn't abort? If so, why?

Jade Margery

Stranger in a strange land
Oct 29, 2008
✟19,915.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm really all about people having the right to choose what is best for themselves and their families.

I can understand why people with down syndrome and their family members are worried about this kind of thing because they feel that it will devalue their own lives or the lives of other mentally disabled children to come. (You could have had an abortion, it's your own fault you have a messed up kid, etc.)

I don't think this will be the case though. People who willingly take on the burden of a genetic disorder suffering child deserve great respect (and it is a burden, no matter how much joy any baby brings, the financial, emotional, and mental burdens that inescapably come with it cannot be called anything else.)

A soon to be parent of a disabled child faces a hard choice. It is good that these families are showing the other side of the equation, but it is still up to the parents to decide whether they want to bring such a child into the world.

Personally, I would not. I have volunteered with people with disabilities, specifically children, and for those who are not highly functioning they have very bleak lives ahead of them regardless of education and socializing attempts. Their parents had haggard, beaten looks more often than not, and once those parents are gone, the child remains, confused and alone in a group home somewhere.

I've seen happiness in their faces too. I'm not saying it's a horrible thing to have a developmentally disabled kid, or even to be one, but I would never want that for my children or my family if I could possibly prevent it.

Reactions: Wiccan_Child
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If ultrasound shows severe malformations, but a specific diagnosis can't be otherwise made (such as by amniocentesis), that is a possible indication for intact D & X, if the mother chooses to terminate. Because it preserves the fetus in a less damaged state than D & C, saline or prostaglandin abortion. (Hence the term, "intact" D & X.) And this is important for pathologic and chromosomal studies of the fetus, in order to provide genetic counseling to the parents. Not a common situation fortunately, but intact D & X does have a place.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
This has come up a few times in the various abortion discussions...and is something I'm curious to explore a bit more.

Here is an article about down syndrome persons who are concerned about their place in society due to genetic testing. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/us/09down.html

Other disorders being brought to light are Huntington's, Tay Sachs, and other similar chromosomal disorders.

What are thoughts on abortion in these instances and the moral implications of prenatal screening? For those of you who are pro-life, would you get a pre-natal screening even if you know you wouldn't abort? If so, why?

Depends if it is a physical or a mental disability, and to what extent. For server mental defects, there can be a debate if the child even reaches a state of living (such as when the brain is not found (granted that is also physical, but it is a physical which affects the mind, thus mental)). But, in most other cases where you can not say that they never achieve sentience, you are making a statement as what one is allowed to remove a child about. This alone means nothing without the when as well. If you keep limiting everything to before sentience, then you have also limited when the abortion can be chosen, but when you up it to partial birth, things get messier again.

So in fact, there are two different scales on to how to rate abortions. They WHY scale, and the WHEN scale. This becomes three dimensions if you consider mental and physical disabilities different.

Most debate has been on a when scale. As of right now, my entire feelings are on the WHEN scale except in cases of definite non-viability (mental or physical), and it goes as follows. When the fetus is viable (even with some medical help, the exacts of which I have yet to well define) outside the womb, and removal of the fetus intact is comparably or less invasive than an abortion, the abortion should not happen. In the case of the fetus being non-viable, the abortion is allowed.

This stems from the fact that a woman does not have a right to choose what happens to the fetus. BUT, she does have a right to remove the fetus from her body if she so desires. Yet, in the same way I cannot kill someone to force them to let go of my arm except in the most extreme circumstances, the woman is not allowed to kill in all circumstances. The invasiveness of the procedure and ability to survive outside of the womb are what determines when. This line is not clear, I admit, but such things as partial birth abortions are clearly wrong (even if the child is not viable, if you waited that long, it is actually more invasive to perform the abortion than to finish the birth and then allow the child's bodily functions to shut down, medication administered based on why the child is not-viable (no brain, no need of medicine)), while other such things as a pill which one can take in the first 2 weeks is clearly allowed (the body flushing out is far less invasive of attempting to remove a possibly fertilized egg, which has no chance for survival given current medical technology).

This standard allows a woman to already abort for what ever reason, as long as it is before the limit. Personally, I think it works better defined on the WHEN scales and not the WHY scales.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.