• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Abortion and gay marriage to be legalised in Northern Ireland by Westminster

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by A Gerbil, Oct 21, 2019.

1. A Gerbil

A Gerbil Member

+130
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    From the New Statesman:

For those not au fait with British politics, Northern Ireland has her own assembly which meets in Stormont. However due to the sectarian nature of the country they have not sat for a couple of years, I think, and are therefore being governed from Westminster who have chosen to pass the above mentioned legislation.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tropical Wilds

Tropical Wilds Lord, beer me strength...

+1,318
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Good for them.

3. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+4,003
    Atheist
    Married
    I'm not familiar with legislative proceedings in Northern Ireland. But I know it's part of the UK, and an entirely different country than the Republic of Ireland. So I would expect its laws would be similar to those of England, Scotland, and Wales.

And the Republic of Ireland amended its Constitution so that early term elective abortion is now legal. Which went into effect this year, as I recall.

4. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+6,490
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    Wales Scotland, and Northern Ireland have devolved parliaments, with some control over domestic law, though for the past few years Northern Ireland has been run from Westminster due to the collapse of power sharing arrangements in Northern Ireland.

5. KarateCowboy

KarateCowboy Gender conversion therapy is dehumanizing

+1,610
    Western Sahara
    Catholic
    Private
    Some people still don't believe all humans are equal. Such bigotry.

“Every human being alive today and, as far as is known scientifically, every human being that ever existed, began his or her unique existence in this manner, i.e., as one cell. If this first cell or any subsequent configuration of cells perishes, the individual dies, ceasing to exist in matter as a living being. There are no known exceptions to this rule in the field of human biology.” Human Life and Health Care Ethics, Vol. 2

6. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+2,671
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    No, I don't consider a fetus a human. There is a potential in 7 or 8 months. But still it's non of our business. It's not like we can take care or care about the born.

7. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,715
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    For me, it's an issue of equality of bodily autonomy between the sexes under the law. Debates about fetal personhood are a legal red herring.