United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've heard many times that, when Jesus came, he abolished the Old Testament and the law. But he did not abolish them. He fulfilled them.

Matthew 5:17
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

So what does this mean? What it means is that Jesus fulfilled the requirement of the Law. This is why we no longer make sacrifices to ask for forgiveness for sins and why we don't carry out the various rituals that they did in the Old Testament.

But then do we ignore the Old Testament and the Law?

Matthew 5:19
"Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

We're not to ignore or abandoned the Old Testament and the Law, but we aren't saved through the Law anymore. We are saved through Jesus. We can't get to Heaven without Jesus, we can't reach Heaven just on the Law. But we aren't to ignore the commands and the Law.

So how do we live in Jesus but still teach the Law? Is that what this section of the Bible is saying? Or can we turn away from the Law and just focus on Jesus?

• Winner
Reactions: Zetetica

Residential Bob

Dec 24, 2018
Ormond Beach
✟18,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We can turn away from the law; it no longer applies.

Christ is the end of the law, or its culmination (Rom 10:4). He came so that God’s will, as made known in the law, can be obeyed as it should be. Christians, the new Israel endowed with the Holy Spirit, abide in the law by faith, which their predecessors were unable to do on their own. Faith is now the law (Rom 3:27). Righteousness no longer comes through the law, but rather through faith in Jesus Christ (Rom 10:21-22).

All things are new. The covenant, kingdom, the creation, the law. All things.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've heard many times that, when Jesus came, he abolished the Old Testament and the law. But he did not abolish them. He fulfilled them.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

So what does this mean? What it means is that Jesus fulfilled the requirement of the Law. This is why we no longer make sacrifices to ask for forgiveness for sins and why we don't carry out the various rituals that they did in the Old Testament.

Matthew 5:19
"Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

We're not to ignore or abandoned the Old Testament and the Law, but we aren't saved through the Law anymore. We are saved through Jesus. We can't get to Heaven without Jesus, we can't reach Heaven just on the Law. But we aren't to ignore the commands and the Law.

So how do we live in Jesus but still teach the Law? Is that what this section of the Bible is saying? Or can we turn away from the Law and just focus on Jesus?

to abolish - Greek meaning

from Strongs concordence
From kata and luo; to loosen down (disintegrate), i.e. (by implication) to demolish (literally or figuratively); specially (compare kataluma) to halt for the night -- destroy, dissolve,

fulfill -
accomplish, complete, fulfill

From pleres; to make replete, i.e. (literally) to cram (a net), level up (a hollow), or (figuratively) to furnish (or imbue, diffuse, influence), satisfy, execute (an office), finish (a period or task), verify (or coincide with a prediction), etc. -- accomplish, X after, (be) complete, end, expire, fill (up), fulfil, (be, make) full (come), fully preach, perfect, supply.

Because of sin it is impossible for any man (other than Christ) to keep the 10 commandments. The 10 are Gods eternal laws and sets the standards of Gods government and are unchangeable. The fist four are our relationship with God, the last six are our relationship towards mankind (each other).

Jesus, being God and man was the only one who could satisfy all.

What is sin? Sin is transgression of the Law (the 10)
What is the consequence of sin? Death - earthly and eternal

Jesus, by keeping all of Gods laws and because of His sacrifice He paid our debt (eternal death) so through our sincere acceptance of Him, His sacrifice wipes out our debt.

Does it end there? No

When one sincerely accepts Jesus through faith and receive His Holy Spirit, His Holy Spirit begins working in us. How? Brings to our heart and mind of our sin (conviction) makes us aware of our sin. His Holy Spirit helps us understand His Holy Word we should study the Bible daily), the Spirit begins teaching and changing what we think and do and helps us to overcome our sins - transgressions of the law - the 10) These changes occur over the course of our life-time on earth. We will mess up here and there ... but we are to press toward that mark.

Philippians 3:14 King James Version (KJV)
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

The apostle Paul states that the Holy Spirit searches even the depths of God 1 Corinthians 2:10-11

We need the Holy Spirit to enable us to understand what He has inspired 1 Corinthians 2:12, 14, 15; Ephesians. 1:17–19; Psalms. 119:18.

In simplicity ... we are to follow the Lamb ... follow in His footsteps, He is our example.

Revelation 14

... 4 They follow the Lamb wherever he goes. They were purchased (paid our debt) from among mankind and offered as first fruits to God and the Lamb.

1 Peter 2:21-25

21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps

This is our purpose.

There are (were) 2 sets of laws. The 10 commandments (eternal and never changing) and what is referred to as the mosaic laws (laws of Moses). The mosaic laws were the ceremonial/sacrificial laws that took place in the temple(s) of ancient days. These are the laws that were nailed to the cross and done away with (read acts) ... because after the death of Jesus and His accession into the sanctuary (temple) in heaven be became our High Priest. There was no longer a need of the "priestly duties" nor sacrifices on earth .... Jesus was the final sacrifice for all and is our High Priest ... and the mosaic laws did cease ... took about 40 years (no emails in those days LOL) ... but they DID cease.

Many get these laws mixed up when reading scripture. Be very careful to look at the context of the passages and understand and be certain which law is being talked about or referred to.

Many claim the 10 were abolished. Now think about this ... if they were abolished ... again ... we would not know what sin is - and without them what are our transgressions .... and what is it we need to overcome?

In the end ...

Revelation 14:12

12 Here is a call for the endurance of the saints who keep the commandments (the 10) of God and the faith of Jesus.

Good NEWS ....

Philippians 1

English Standard Version
And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

His work in us .... not ours ... and He WILL complete it in the believer as we follow Him. AMEN!!

Sorry the post was so long ... could have ben a lot longer

May the Lord lead you through the truth of His Holy Word. Amen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0