✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
John 15:1
I am the true vine, and My Father is the husbandman.

I'm amazed when looking at the organic union that constitutes our abiding! Christ is the true vine that we are branches of while our true gardener/husbandman is God, the Father! I'm amazed at the riches provided for the soil that we grow in that produces expressions of the di-vine life! The husbandman, the cultivator of the soil, the landowner, patiently awaits thru all the seasons of growth for the fruit to appear on the branches.

Jesus' teachings for discipleship have the outstanding revelation of 'blessedness'. His noble character makes it known that His intention is to make us happy/blessed. Whatever the seasons bring are of inestimable value in the Father's discipline because they carry the intention of His blessings upon us.

I used to think that having and doing are what makes one human but it's just being that does that. The power of God that blesses is His noble character flowing thru, in season and out. That's what produces character and eventually destiny. It seems that our participation called for is to weed out of this garden all that is not conducive to growth. Sometimes it's difficult because we have many convictions but truth isn't always behind those convictions. It's work to be true to oneself.

Cooperation in cultivating character is the complimentary work to His provisions of soil, root and vine, sunshine and rains. His infinate tenderness toward His garden as well as stern upheaval when the weeds are in need of pulling up. Weeds allowed to grow in thought soon turn to following after evil and lead outside the garden of our husbandman. Blessed are they that are cultivated in this manner to suffer thru character contrary to the world of doing and having. Bloom where your planted knowing that you're in the hands of the gardener who's only intention toward you is for good.

9b754d6dec7dd7d1c7f905241fed967e--leo-buscaglia-single-rose.jpg

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What should a man do, to take out the weed?
Is it by trusting in God, and the works of the law?
Or is it only by repentance and trust?
Repentance and trust puts the onus on the Father, the Husbandman of the garden of our minds and not on the law, because the law is not connected to the heart and cannot do that what trust can. Without Him nothing is possible.

Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near. Matthew 3:2

R.9c6e88917ac29c86d3fe53e81141bd2e

Proverbs 3:5 is a wise instruction that ends in a promise: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dani Cordoba

Sep 4, 2022
San Rafael
✟17,545.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Repentance and trust puts the onus on the Father, the Husbandman of the garden of our minds and not on the law, because the law is not connected to the heart and cannot do that what trust can. Without Him nothing is possible.

Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near. Matthew 3:2

R.9c6e88917ac29c86d3fe53e81141bd2e

Proverbs 3:5 is a wise instruction that ends in a promise: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”

I never like the world repentance. It makes it sound as If we are working. Nevertheless it's the opposite. We should seek healing. Repentance is an awareness of such condition.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I never like the world repentance. It makes it sound as If we are working. Nevertheless it's the opposite. We should seek healing. Repentance is an awareness of such condition.
We all need that onetime repentance when we see the sin of our nature but thoughtfulness as to our actions (sins) is also needed. Healing is definately a better term for the need to which we assent (trust) to God acting upon us. Thanks.

R.ab33fb42c9e4c895c51ba4e7b2f7e746

Last edited:
Reactions: Dani Cordoba
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
"Repentance is an awareness of such condition.", you say. Not exactly.

Confession and repentance are closely related. If anyone has set a course of sinfulness, repentance is in order, but truthfully, repentance is already a mindset of the born again, once decided, thereafter kept. Confession is admission of the transgression, and (to my thinking) is also a subordination of the vagrant will, whereupon repentance takes over.

Upvote 0

Dani Cordoba

Sep 4, 2022
San Rafael
✟17,545.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
"Repentance is an awareness of the such condition.", you say. Not exactly.

Confession and repentance are closely related. If anyone has set a course of sinfulness, repentance is in order, but truthfully, repentance is already a mindset of the born again, once decided, thereafter kept. Confession is an admission of the transgression, and (to my thinking) is also a subordination of the vagrant will, whereupon repentance takes over.
Confession is a wonderful gift from God. At least if you are anxious about your sinfulness it gives a lot of relief, when the priest says your sins are forgiven, you know God says it. But it isn't there to restrain grace and sanctification.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Confession is a wonderful gift from God. At least if you are anxious about your sinfulness it gives a lot of relief, when the priest says your sins are forgiven, you know God says it. But it isn't there to restrain grace and sanctification.
I don't understand your last sentence, or maybe rather, I don't understand why you say it. Obviously it is not there to restrain grace and sactification!

One interesting note: My father, a greek scholar of some note, once told me that 1 John 1:9 could more accurately but also more awkwardly include action completed in the past (the forgiveness) but contingent on the confession. Thus, "If we confess our sins, he will be faithful and just to already have forgiven us our sins..."

As you may imagine, I have considerable problems with the notion that a human priest must be involved, or that his pronouncement of forgiveness carries any weight beyond affirmation of what scripture already tells us.

Upvote 0

Dani Cordoba

Sep 4, 2022
San Rafael
✟17,545.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I don't understand your last sentence, or maybe rather, I don't understand why you say it. It is not there to restrain grace and sanctification!

One interesting note: My father, a greek scholar of some note, once told me that 1 John 1:9 could more accurately but also more awkwardly include action completed in the past (the forgiveness) but contingent on the confession. Thus, "If we confess our sins, he will be faithful and just to already have forgiven us our sins..."

As you may imagine, I have considerable problems with the notion that a human priest must be involved, or that his pronouncement of forgiveness carries any weight beyond the affirmation of what scripture already tells us.
The last sentence is a way to overcorrect my viewpoint on confession. It's salvific, just as baptism and the Eucharist. I don't see them as a mindset. But a literal way God provides his grace and healing. What makes us seek these gifts? Repentance.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The last sentence is a way to overcorrect my viewpoint on confession. It's salvific, just as baptism and the Eucharist. I don't see them as a mindset. But a literal way God provides his grace and healing. What makes us seek these gifts? Repentance.
Your original post was comparing law and grace but I must draw your attention to the spiritual significance of baptism and the release of the manna which is His flesh, the new and better way. Spiritually and not literally.
But importantly also is the rules of this forum which is not conducive to debate but rather to deeper fellowship for all.
Statement of Purpose - Deeper Fellowship Statement of Purpose | Christian Forums

I see you are a new member! Welcome to the forums and particularly deeper fellowship! Just a note since it's denomination specific we're getting into.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dani Cordoba

Sep 4, 2022
San Rafael
✟17,545.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Your original post was comparing law and grace but I must draw your attention to the spiritual significance of baptism and the release of the manna which is His flesh, the new and better way. Spiritually and not literally.
But importantly also is the rules of this forum which are not conducive to debate but rather to deeper fellowship for all.
Spiritual significance ? Manna which is his flesh?
This is a new idea to me. Can you further explain it?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Spiritual isn't literal? Manna which is his flesh?
This is a new idea to me. Can you further explain it?
The flesh being the veil Hebrews 10:20
Sorry, now I'm debating denomination specifics.

30153.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dani Cordoba

Sep 4, 2022
San Rafael
✟17,545.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The flesh being the veil Hebrews 10:20
Sorry, now I'm debating denomination specifics.
There is something I'm clearly not getting, and should learn about. But I understand debating isn't allowed.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Repentance is an awareness of such condition.", you say. Not exactly.

Confession and repentance are closely related. If anyone has set a course of sinfulness, repentance is in order, but truthfully, repentance is already a mindset of the born again, once decided, thereafter kept. Confession is admission of the transgression, and (to my thinking) is also a subordination of the vagrant will, whereupon repentance takes over.
In an effort to explain the debate , which is not allowed on this forum:
Confession as priestly excludes our high priest also to whom we should take all prayer
Heb 4
14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is something I'm clearly not getting, and should learn about. But I understand debating isn't allowed.
I think we were in agreement at one time but denominational aspects tend to divide, hence why they are not permitted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dani Cordoba

Sep 4, 2022
San Rafael
✟17,545.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
In an effort to explain the debate , which is not allowed on this forum:
Confession as priestly excludes our high priest also to whom we should take all prayer
Heb 4
14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
Oh, you mean confessing our sins to a priest. Idk, Catholics do it. They know a lot about church history. I should ask them why we both have this tradition.

Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bloom where your planted knowing that you're in the hands of the gardener who's only intention toward you is for good.

I didn't know if you were familiar with this tree ( the tree of Tenere). Moved by the story, I've often thought of it. There are many spiritual aspects to it. I like that it's finding it's life from a secret source where all around it is death. I also like that it springs where it is planted. Being the tree God intended it to be, accepting its fate, bringing hope and good cheer to all who pass, whatever the odds might be.

Jeremiah 17:8 For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, which spreads out its roots by the river, and will not fear when the heat comes; but its leaf will be green, and will not be anxious in the year of drought, nor will cease from yielding fruit.

The Unfortunate End of the World’s Loneliest Tree – The Tree of Ténéré

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I didn't know if you were familiar with this tree ( the tree of Tenere). Moved by the story, I've often thought of it. There are many spiritual aspects to it. I like that it's finding it's life from a secret source where all around it is death. I also like that it springs where it is planted. Being the tree God intended it to be, accepting its fate, bringing hope and good cheer to all who pass, whatever the odds might be.

Jeremiah 17:8 For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, which spreads out its roots by the river, and will not fear when the heat comes; but its leaf will be green, and will not be anxious in the year of drought, nor will cease from yielding fruit.

The Unfortunate End of the World’s Loneliest Tree – The Tree of Ténéré
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.
The Tree of Ténéré was an acacia tree
Exodus 25:10-13 “They shall construct an ark of acacia wood two and a half cubits long, and one and a half cubits wide, and one and a half cubits high. You shall overlay it with pure gold, inside and out you shall overlay it, and you shall make a gold molding around it.

R.1457d908d1808d7544b5c28f6a4e8289

R.75a554e299bb366ebf96068864e3e262

Depositphotos_5390611_s-2019-1-2-300x300.png

its roots crept 35 meters (110 ft) beneath the surface and into the underground source of water.
Psalms 1
1 Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.

The Father will pull the roots not planted by Him. Matthew 15:13
But Jesus replied, “Every plant that My heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by its roots.

9b754d6dec7dd7d1c7f905241fed967e--leo-buscaglia-single-rose.jpg

Quoted from the Op:
Cooperation in cultivating character is the complimentary work to His provisions of soil, root and vine, sunshine and rains. His infinate tenderness toward His garden as well as stern upheaval when the weeds are in need of pulling up. Weeds allowed to grow in thought soon turn to following after evil and lead outside the garden of our husbandman. Blessed are they that are cultivated in this manner to suffer thru character contrary to the world of doing and having. Bloom where your planted knowing that you're in the hands of the gardener who's only intention toward you is for good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟788,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said "I and my Father are one." John 10:30 Though they are one, Jesus while on earth, did
what God said such as "Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise." (John 5:19) And "No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again.
This commandment have I received of my Father." John 10:18

(Though God the Father, the Son Jesus, and the Holy Spirit - in one true God. "14 May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all." II Cor 13 "But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:" John 15:26)

Also, "Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and
my Father will love him, and
we will come unto him, and make our abode with him." John 14:23

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Repentance is the changing of the mind. The first form of repentance is changing ones mind from unbelief to belief. From there He makes His Home in us when we receive His Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit works in our lives bring up the need to change ones mind from sinning. This is the process of santification. Without His Spirit in our lives we remain a seed with no soil or water.
Blessings

Upvote 0